Conceptual Proliferation

thumbnail
Drew Miller, modified 9 Years ago at 10/16/14 2:04 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/16/14 12:17 PM

Conceptual Proliferation

Hello,

I have a question about thinking/conceptual proliferation and the process of insight cycling.  I noticed this morning that there was far more thinking that usual during my morning meditation, which as been the case for the last few days. Its has if the mind is attempting to dissociate from the body into concepts. A seemingly aversive relationship. Attending to the body and breath were difficult.  I'm wondering if this is a Dark Nightish phenomena?  The mind's potential attempts to escape from fear in the body?  Feels like a powerful polarization.  Not very peaceful, not very vibratory, but also not alot of pain.  The body does feel more solid though.  Any thoughts, advice, validation through your own experience would be helpful.

Metta,

Drew
thumbnail
Howard Maxwell Clegg, modified 9 Years ago at 10/16/14 2:13 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/16/14 2:13 PM

RE: Conceptual Proliferation

Drew Miller:
Hello,

I have a question about thinking/conceptual proliferation and the process of insight cycling.  I noticed this morning that there was far more thinking that usual during my morning meditation, which as been the case for the last few days. Its as if the mind is attempting to dissociate from the body into concepts. A seemingly aversive relationship. Attending to the body and breath were difficult.  I'm wondering if this is a Dark Nightish phenomena?  The mind's potential attempts to escape from fear in the body?  Feels like a powerful polarization.  Not very peaceful, not very vibratory, but also not alot of pain.  The body does feel more solid though.  Any thoughts, advice, validation through your own experience would be helpful.

Metta,

Drew

I'm sorry to have to say that thought processes come and go in intensity and quantity thoughout ones practice career. It has certainly been the case for me. Sometimes there is a specific cause for any particularly persistant activity. For me its usually an unaddressed emotional issue. I can usually access this by "firmly noticing" physical sensations. Sometimes its some kind of aversion like you suggest, there are probably other specifics that we could both find if we thought long enough about it. But usually its just how it is, like the weather. All the other sense doors also behave differently over time too. Sometimes I wake up and the sun is just too damn bright. Or my sense of smell is a bit more sensitive, I think its the same with the thought stream, it comes and goes.
thumbnail
Drew Miller, modified 9 Years ago at 10/18/14 3:54 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/18/14 3:54 PM

RE: Conceptual Proliferation

Thank you Howard!