"focus levels" and jhanas/nanas

J C, modified 9 Years ago at 10/22/14 9:44 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/22/14 9:44 PM

"focus levels" and jhanas/nanas

I'm not really familiar with the Monroe Institute at all, but they discuss levels of consciousness which they refer to as focus levels.

From the description below, do you think they correlate with jhanas or nanas at all? Are they describing the same territory?

The following is from the website http://www.monroeinstitute.org/resources/overview-of-focus-levels :

Thus, the implicit philosophical background behind ‘phasing’ is that there is no such thing as 'leaving the body', since consciousness is never really ‘in the body’ to begin with. Rather, all experiences which constitute things such as 'trance', 'hypnosis', 'altered states', 'meditation', 'OBEs', and 'astral projections' are simply variations on the same theme where consciousness is focused in different ways and in different degrees away from the physical.

"The term phasing is a metaphor derived from physics, which conceptualizes consciousness as a waveform that can either be aligned or non-aligned with physical reality. For example, when we are 100% phased into the physical we are considered perfectly aligned with normal physical input and waking reality. In Monroe speak, this is called C-1 consciousness or primary phasing. As consciousness moves further away from the physical (and the senses) consciousness is said to phase into other 'focus levels'. The first of these is ocus 10 - the state of mind awake/body asleep.

The first set of these focus levels (and the focus levels the Gateway Experience pertain to), can be said to a extent maintain varying degrees of relationship to the physical in that they usually do not automatically include being fully present at a certain "astral location", but rather, involve an expanded state of awareness of some kind while still remaining in the same "location". These focus levels have been described as follows (Monroe, 1994, p. 248):

[Focus 3: State of increased mental coherency and balance]
"Focus 10: Mind Awake/Body Asleep
Focus 12: A state of expanded awareness
Focus 15: State of no time
Focus 21: The edge of time/space where it is possible to contact other energy systems."

There is some confusion and uncertainty regarding the Focus 12 through 21 states and differentiating them appropriately. Several practiced "phasers" have noted how the transition from Focus 10 to 12 is often characterized by seeing several abstract forms and colors, often very quickly followed by a 3-D effect in the blackness surrounding you. Hence, there is some controversy on the exact delineation between Focus 12, 15 and 21. Perhaps the 3-D blackness of Focus 21 can be said to be more expansive to the extent that it starts to touch upon ‘astral locations’ beyond Focus 21.

This brings us to phenomena in Focus 21, which is the ideal platform for further experiences in the other Focus levels. The following quote will serve nicely to illustrate the transition into 12 up until 21, and how to reach the "higher" Focus levels:

"With me, I begin to perceive swirling clouds of color and various textures and so on. Following which there is a distinct forwards progression into the 3-D blackness. So I tend to look at it that way around. Like I was propelling myself into it. Or you could look at it the other way around like you were being drawn into it. Either way makes no difference, I guess. Sometimes I'll just float in the blackness as I find it mentally relaxing. But normally I just pass through this stage. It helps if you have a fairly strong idea about what it is you want to do. Within the Astral, navigating is all about using intent. When I say 'intent' I mean you develop a clear picture in mind and wish for it to happen. If you do this at the 3-D blackness stage you should find some kind of portal will open up and you just flow along it. Though, chances are, you will need to practice a number of times before you get the hang of it. At first, simply float in the blackness and think of something very basic. Like, sitting by a lake or walking in the countryside, or whatever. It can be anything you wish but make it very basic and simple. In other words, don't try to do anything detailed like visiting someone in particular at some specific place. Doing such a thing can be quite tricky, so it's best not to aim too high too quickly. Develop a picture in mind and place the intent, i.e. mentally wish that you were doing such a thing. As you do so, you might see an area of the blackness becomes not quite so black as the rest. Maybe a swirling grayness begins to develop in one part. Maybe a light begins shining in the distance. Whatever comes about, focus your attention on it. As you do so, the transition experience should begin to unfold. At this stage you don't really need to do anything. Simply remain open to the experience and allow it to happen. After what feels like a few seconds you should find yourself within some non-physical place which, hopefully, relates to your initial intent in some way." Frank Kepple

thumbnail
dat Buddha-field, modified 9 Years ago at 10/23/14 3:59 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/23/14 3:53 PM

RE: "focus levels" and jhanas/nanas

Hi JC, 

I did the Gateway Experience a while back, before I began seriously practicing Buddhism.  

In general, these are different territories.  Getting into these specific states with this specific progression is dependent on having the Hemi-Sync tapes and a strong intent to work within this system.  

The whole idea of phasing is something not specific to the gateway experience, but can begin happening spontaneously to meditators as visions/OBEs with various degrees of clarity.  IMO, these types of experiences tend to occur more when Relaxation > Focus.  Absoprtion requires a tighter balance between relaxation and focus.  

The earlier focus levels are closer to trance territory.  Though in the later focus levels there can be great clarity, which is very un-trancey.  

Focus 21 has parallels to early arupajhanas as the dimensions of space and consciousness are perceived.  However, you are not fully absorped into them such that they become 'infinite'.  

From there, shit gets entirely subjective and... weird.  I know the maps go to like focus 51 or whatever, but it gets so subjective after ~21 that the labels become more arbitrary descriptors of certain types of experience rather than describe some objective progression across territory.

Breadcrumb