non mahasi-esque centers near Chiang Mai?

Rob Njosnavelin, modified 9 Years ago at 10/24/14 10:56 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/24/14 10:56 PM

non mahasi-esque centers near Chiang Mai?

I've been looking into chom tong and ram poeng, but I'd like to try a few weeks in a more thai style center. Im also more interested in concentration than insight practice at present. Anyone able to recommend any in this neck of the woods?
Rob Njosnavelin, modified 9 Years ago at 10/25/14 1:49 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/25/14 1:49 AM

RE: non mahasi-esque centers near Chiang Mai?

Wat tam wua? Looks good except that it sounds like it's filled with soft core tourist hippies. Anyone been? 
thumbnail
Ryn dH, modified 9 Years ago at 1/12/15 10:01 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/12/15 10:01 AM

Wonderful place, set in a gorgeous setting. Few monks - I counted five during the two weeks of my visit - and many Western visitors. Many Russian for some reason. On weekends, lay visitors come and sometimes high school groups stay the night. Lots of chatter results. You are free to disengage and wear an "I'm in silence" name tag. People will leave you alone.

Instruction is generally given in the afternoon sessions, and afterwards there is usually room for a symposium style Q&A session. Total organised practice time amounts to 5 hours every day, with a further one hour dedicated each to offerings, work meditation and chanting. Of course, there is room for more practice and the monastery is a big enough place to avoid the chattering of others. There is a forest on the hill and even a cave. If you are lucky enough to get a kuti, you could practice in there. 

It isn't a strict place though, and those looking for a retreat center dedicated to practice might find the place too loose. The abbot seemed to think so, as I've seen him go around in his impish way, exhorting visitors to be quiet. "Talk, talk, talk... mindfulness gone," he would say, smiling. At the evening sitting, he would frequently remind us that we were to refrain from suntanning ourselves on the grassy area in front of the abbot's kuti. Him being celibate and all that...

I hope this helps!
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 9 Years ago at 1/12/15 11:57 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/12/15 11:52 AM

I heard that Wat Umong in Chiang Mai teach a different technique than Wat Roempoeng/Chom Tong/Doi Suthep. I don't know if there is element of the mahasi technique into it. I passed by and I have seen people doing walking meditation of the Mahasi kind, so the difference might only be in the sitting meditation (you pay attention to various point in the chest, I have been told).It's not a very busy place.

Found this:

http://www.dhammathai.org/e/meditation/page23.php
MEDITATION SYSTEM
:
Anapanasati, similar to teaching at
Suan Mokkh. One is free to use one's own meditation techniques.
Thomas Richard Jansen, modified 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 7:34 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 7:33 PM

I have been to two ten-day Goenka courses in Lampoon (in addition to four Goenka courses in Kanchanaburi and Pitsanolok). They were all good experiences. See www.dhamma.org for a schedule. 

Breadcrumb