Frequency of noting - x times/second possible?

tj saw, modified 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 6:31 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 6:31 AM

Frequency of noting - x times/second possible?

One oftentimes reads that some people can note at a very high frequency - say 10 times a second. I'm a beginning labelling practitioner. And i've been wondering how it is actually possible to note anything at that kind of speed? Or is that noting does not refer to a labelling practice? Then how does one note without labelling?

How is it possible, also, to label more than 10 time/minute? 

Just wondering in case I am doing something wrong...

thanks!
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 9:59 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 9:59 AM

RE: Frequency of noting - x times/second possible?

Noting is a 2 part process. The label is just a feedback loop to keep you from following the old conditioning. If you're seeing vibrations in bare awareness in all experiences then you're seeing more detail. Make sure thinking is included as a sensation. When you're are aware of thinking it shouldn't hurt but if you're thinking and spacing out of awareness you can feel the tug and pull of likes and dislikes in the thinking. Labeling is especially important when you are about to space-out and lose your mindfulness. There are some impulses and intentions that are operating that you are not clearly seeing, because in the end there is no agent or controller but just cause and effect happening.

There are some good tips on noting here:

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/mental-noting/
thumbnail
Jo Jo, modified 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 1:31 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 1:31 PM

Thanks to the 2 of you for question and answer. Very helpful.
thumbnail
Jason Snyder, modified 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 3:28 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 3:26 PM

tj saw:
One oftentimes reads that some people can note at a very high frequency - say 10 times a second. I'm a beginning labelling practitioner. And i've been wondering how it is actually possible to note anything at that kind of speed? Or is that noting does not refer to a labelling practice? Then how does one note without labelling?

How is it possible, also, to label more than 10 time/minute? 

Just wondering in case I am doing something wrong...

thanks!

From what I can remember from MCTB, the fastest Daniel actually recommends noting (not just noticing, i.e., with a label) is 1-5 per second. He talks about noticing things much faster, like 10+ per second, but this does not mean actually forming labels in the mind, it just means to be aware of flickering sensations. 

In my opinion fast noting can be useful only if it happens naturally through practice. The fastest I can go without doing it robotically is 2-3 times per seconds. You shouldn't go faster than you actually notice. I would recommend starting at 1 note ever 2 seconds and then speed up as your attention increases.
Dave sdfsdf, modified 9 Years ago at 11/5/14 3:57 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/5/14 3:57 AM

I can say what the brain it self can "see". If you have played video games you know about framerates. For the brain not to note the lack of motion the update frequency is at least 60 frames per second. Movies can get away with 24 frames due to the motion blur.
The update frequency from my understanding is controlled by an internal cluster of cells that enables us to notice time, passing of time. An internal clock. Like in an computer. Discovery even got nobel prize I think.
In high stress situations the update frequency can get sped up drastically, you become hyper aware. Thats why people feel like time slowed down. But that is just relative to normal experience which doesnt update as often.

So thats so science. The question then is can you get to hyper aware state without scaring the living shit out of yourself so the hormones kicks in. I know depressed people are more aware of their surroundings than happy people (from studies and experience). 
tj saw, modified 9 Years ago at 11/10/14 6:43 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/10/14 6:43 AM

Guys, thanks so much for your posts. Richard Zen - that's some good practical advice there, thanks! Andreas - i didn't know about the update frequency - very interesting!

Breadcrumb