Binary Noting

Jack Hatfield, modified 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 6:47 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 6:47 AM

Binary Noting

I and my Skype partner have been doing  the following practice daily  for several months now. My  partner developed a program that rings a bell and then announces what we are going to do that segment. Each segment is 8 minutes long. It goes like this: 1. Bell, 4 foundations noting. 2. Bell, variation of mahamudra where the choices are "accepting" when phenomena are the foreground, "listening" when the void is the foreground and "openness" when void and phenomena are both in the foreground.    3. Bell, thoughts only with qualifiers such as "not useful". 4. Bell, binary noting saying "imbedded" or "not" as in not embedded. 5. Bell, self inquiry. 6. Bell, binary noting with "accepting" or "aversion". Here we are trying to get at deep aversion we might miss otherwise.

The above excercise has been very useful to me and moved my practice ahead significantly. This is not our main practice which for me is shikantaza. We change the segments from time to time. Any suggestions on other segments we could try? Comments?

Jack
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 9:49 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/1/14 9:49 AM

RE: Binary Noting

Watch your intention to pay attention and how that involves habits. Notice where it goes when it's automatic and you'll see your current conditioning.