perosnal experience of anti anxiety medication

Dave sdfsdf, modified 9 Years ago at 11/5/14 5:16 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/5/14 5:16 AM

perosnal experience of anti anxiety medication

I from time to time is depressed with panic attacks due to existential dread. The self is an illusion but a persitant one emoticon
Anyway. A couple years ago I decided that being depressed and handling it with just my own mental coping was a no go. Being depressed is a real buzzkill. So I saw a doctor and got prescribed a drug called Efexor together with a drug called Sobril. Later I've learnt that this drug, efexor, can trigger suicides in young people. But apparantly not in me, yay.
The effects of this drug on my mental state and behavior was quite profound. I became a much more loving and cuddeling person, things didnt bother me, my mind was quiet and tranquil for the first time in years. But heres the funny thing. I didnt notice it until later. I was sitting on the buss being on this drug for a few weeks when the following thought popped into my head.
- I havent thought in ages. 
I suddenly became aware that I could stop thinking at will. From my perspective. So after experimenting with this on the buss I shut it down again. I have no clue how this is possible, have not read about anyone having this experience when on these types of medications. Also the capabiltiy of starting and shutting down thoughts lessened over time though. After a while I went of the meds.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 9 Years ago at 11/5/14 7:10 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/5/14 7:10 AM

RE: perosnal experience of anti anxiety medication

Howdy Andreas,
i too have used some prescribed substances, primarily SSRIs.  They all share common goals but differ from each other in certain properties like longevity of effect, specific neurotransmitter replacement and uptake mechanism...

That you have put them behind you is IMO a very very good move.  Undoubtedly they are good to overcome crises but long term they can be very destructive.  Many of them are "designed" to be used for a short time to get over a crisis but this is often not even known by the prescribing physician.  This leads to long term , habit forming use.

Many of the more dramatic side effects (psychosis, anger, paranoia, nervousness, jitters, suicide....) appear when one tries to get free of them.  They can change the brain chemistry in a very short period of time and cold turkey can be dangerous.  If anyone doubts this check out "Benzo Withdrawal" on youtube.

I know people who have been SERIOUSLY affected by this overprescribed class of drugs and have seen people completely debilitated by them.

Enough of the rant.  Like any drug, prescribed or not, they can lead to wild experiences, thats why they get used.  You could replace the name of your prescribed drug-o-choice with DMT or LSD or almost any other non-prescribed drug and your statements would be about the same.

peace

tom
Dave sdfsdf, modified 9 Years ago at 11/5/14 8:13 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/5/14 8:13 AM

I quit cold turkey and didnt have either inset or withdrawal symptoms. But i didnt take them very long. Just to get over the hump so to speak. 
Some ppl seem to have very very bad experiences though. Just wanted to share that observation I made.
PS
Have to say this site and Daniel et al seem to have a healthy approach to these matters. On some forums Ive been part of people gave meditation advice to people with severe depression instead of suggesting seek out therapy etc. Given that depression causes brain damage, parts of the brain dies, probably best to try and cure it like all other deceases.
thumbnail
H McElroy, modified 9 Years ago at 11/6/14 10:40 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/6/14 10:40 PM

Benzodiazapine withdrawal is what got me into this "mess." So yeah... aparently, EVERYTHING is everything.... who knew?

(which is to say, if it "exists," it's the path. All of it. Even sandwiches)