Calming Crown Chakra Activity

Bodhi, modified 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 10:51 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 10:51 AM

Calming Crown Chakra Activity

I had a Kundalini awakening 3 months ago and I seem to be getting a handle on most of the symptoms except for physical sensations in the head, face and neck area. It feels like an octopus on crack is feasting upon my brain. It's pretty damn distracting and makes it difficult to fall asleep most nights. Any ideas as to what this is and how to make it settle down? It is usually inactive when I wake up for the first few hours of the day but eventually starts up again and gets progressively worse throughout the day. I have noticed it gets worse when I think about it, but it is hard not to think about it.

Thank you.
thumbnail
Bill F, modified 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 11:02 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 11:02 AM

RE: Calming Crown Chakra Activity

Get a feeling for how breathing feels in the feet, and then practice mindfulness of breathing through the soles of the feet. 
Bodhi, modified 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 1:36 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 1:36 PM

Thank you. Can you point me to more information about the opening and push / pull practice you are describing?
Bodhi, modified 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 1:36 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 1:36 PM

William Golden Finch:
Get a feeling for how breathing feels in the feet, and then practice mindfulness of breathing through the soles of the feet. 

This sounds like it might help. Thank you.
thumbnail
Daniel - san, modified 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 5:55 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 5:50 PM

Hi Josh,
Yogis say the kundalini process is a purification of the energy channels - basically getting rid of your crap, or karma
Different parts of the body ('energy centers') may store different types of old stresses and pockets of pain - and kundalini rockets through your body doing what she wants when she wants - making awareness and release almost automatic if you fully submit to the process
I think Bill's suggestion is good, to fucus on the feet to draw things down - another recommendation I found helpful was to bring clear energy down through the crown of the head - sort of breathing from the top of the head down to the heart center or even to the root. Just do it intuitivly, don't worry if it feels like you are just imagining it or not. The idea is that you are bringing still and calm Shiva down to meet the crazy head sensations (Shakti) instead of waiting for Shakti to bust out herself through your 3rd eye or crown. Spinal breathing or Qigong exercises may also help but I don't have much experience there
If you haven't read it, I found this site supportive for similar issues:
http://www.aypsite.org/69.html
Best! Daniel
: ladyfrog :, modified 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 7:00 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/24/14 6:50 PM

Hi Josh,

Although the crown area was an issue for me later in the process, I had similar intensity in the third-eye area early on and trouble sleeping etc..  Visualizing guiding the energy out and down the front channel to the ground was helpful... at least it seemed to chill it out a little.

Later on when the crown chakra was causing me discomfort I used some instructions from Thanissaro Bhikku to "breathe" into the area of pressure/activity and visualize/perceive the energy going through and then past the area, allowing the sense of pressure/movement  to ease.  I still find this helpful. If you check out his meditation manual Each and Every Breath found here:
http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/withEachAndEveryBreath_v131019.pdf
On page 50 he gives some suggestions about how to work with unusual energy sensations that are similar to this, as well as what i think is a helpful gentle attitude for working with them when its more about managing than pushing open etc. 

Early on it was all so strong there was an aspect of just hanging on... but it has smoothed out greatly over time and this seems to be the general tendency with those i have spoken to with similar experiences.
John M, modified 9 Years ago at 11/25/14 12:35 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/25/14 12:35 AM

The way that these energetic sensations intensify from mild in the morning to downright wild at night is a natural rhythm; don't expect this to change any time soon. You can, however, expect the overall intensity to come down a few notches. Part of this is the actual sensations chilling out, and part of this is simple acclimation. In time, you and the cracktopus can grow to be perfectly amicable roommates. Personally I found it helpful to take sleep aids early on, until the nightly fireworks calmed down a bit.

There's absolutely an attitudinal element to these experiences as well -- that is, how you relate to these sensations impacts the sensations themselves. There is a world of difference between contextualizing them as a kind of sentence / symptom, or relating to them as a kind of opportunity / blessing. I appreciate this is a bit of a hard sell, especially early on when things are at their most intense and most unfamiliar. Still, food for thought.