How Long, How Often, What, and Where?

thumbnail
Alan Smithee, modified 9 Years ago at 12/4/14 6:58 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/4/14 6:58 PM

How Long, How Often, What, and Where?

How often do you meditate each day?  How long do you do it? What does your practice consist of?  And what is your highest level of obtainment?

I am currently working 80 hours a week in a public school, but I try to meditate twice a day, for about 15 - 20 minutes. When I can, I practice noting throughout the day, usually during transitions [walking to the car, driving, etc].

During the summer, when I get break, I up the ante to twice, sometimes three times a day, at around three to five hours a day.  I am not able to meditate as much on the weekends, because my wife is home, so I typically get around two hours on Sat and Sun.  I try to get to a 10-day retreat once a year, but an upcoming baby will make this difficult to impossible for a few years.

I start my meditations with a bit of anapana, and then switch to vipassana -- whether Goenka style scanning, MCToB noting [sometimes Four Foundations noting], and shikantaza.  I usually switch the style to better navigate the different nanas and jhanas.

My current peak obtainment is High EQ. 
thumbnail
Eric M W, modified 9 Years ago at 12/4/14 8:41 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/4/14 8:41 PM

RE: How Long, How Often, What, and Where?

As a father of four kids with a full-time job, I meditate maybe ten minutes a day. I try to note throughout the day off the cushion, though.

When I stared this two years ago, I was meditating about two hours a day. Crossed the A&P without knowing what it was. Highest attainment is Mid-Equanimity.

A great book for "householders" is this one about the life of Dipa Ma, she taught several students who became enlightened while caring for children, having jobs, and so on. Some of their enlightenment stories are in there.
Matt, modified 9 Years ago at 12/4/14 10:26 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/4/14 10:26 PM

I'm either in mid-EQ or I'm a 'script kiddie' (in the I just made up this to mean I'm fooling myself, not the idiot hacker sense).

I sit twice a day, usually for 60-70 minutes each.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 9 Years ago at 12/4/14 11:56 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/4/14 11:56 PM

I meditate off and on in a chair but 95% of it is daily life practice. I'm pretty sure I've gotten really solid equanimity that keeps getting better as insight increases in my mental formations and intentions. Improvements still keep happening.
Pål, modified 9 Years ago at 12/5/14 1:51 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/5/14 1:51 AM

10-30 min, once or twice daily, anapana as taught by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (veeery different from the visudhimagga thing, lots of breathing through body parts) with a touch of spinal breathing and affirmation mantras, on the bus, train or in the woods. I don't think I have obtained anything though. Well during some periods I've had spontaneous movements, but no bliss or anything like that... What could I be doing wrong? Have been practicing for like seven months.
thumbnail
Eric M W, modified 9 Years ago at 12/5/14 7:50 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/5/14 7:50 PM

Pål:
10-30 min, once or twice daily, anapana as taught by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (veeery different from the visudhimagga thing, lots of breathing through body parts) with a touch of spinal breathing and affirmation mantras, on the bus, train or in the woods. I don't think I have obtained anything though. Well during some periods I've had spontaneous movements, but no bliss or anything like that... What could I be doing wrong? Have been practicing for like seven months.

You aren't doing anything wrong, you just need to get the dose high enough. Don't stop mindfulness when you aren't on the cushion; be mindful throughout the day. Have you tried noting? Fast noting is powerful if you have the skill. 
lama carrot top, modified 9 Years ago at 12/5/14 9:14 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/5/14 9:14 PM

Formal sitting meditation is generally 2-3 hours a day (every day, unless interrupted by something, such as travel or something off-schedule).  Sits are a combination of anapana, body scan, and open state.  Formal sitting is natural for me – I get drawn to sit when there is free time.  When there isn’t free time, there is nevertheless a pull to sit. I always feel some is better than none, so micro-sits work for me – I have a 20 minute minimum for some reason.

Off the cushion is a mixed bag, including open state (just being alert and seeing what the cat drags in through the sense doors) and wtf enquiry - though I get lost in things a lot of the time when out and about so this a big area of improvement for me.

Pål, modified 9 Years ago at 12/6/14 4:29 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/6/14 4:29 PM

Can you get jhanas through noting?
I stopped doing it pretty early on since it seems to be so far from what the Buddha taught. I can't find anything about "dry vipassana" in any sutta. Also I got pretty confused about which word to use when. Thanissaro's anapana interpretation is much more comfortable to me. 
My main goal right now is jhana.
I'm not sure if the nanas are something worth striving for on the path to the end of suffering, since the only "nana" I've found to be mentioned in the suttas is equanimity. 
Btw I just entered a new period of spontaneous movement of the arms. Maybe I'm aiming for jhana but get nanas instead lol

Breadcrumb