narrow V broad focus

Hugh Fox, modified 9 Years ago at 12/31/14 12:30 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/31/14 12:28 PM

narrow V broad focus

Was just looking for some discussion as to the merits of each approach.  I've been practicing noting style vipassana since the summer, (a few years concentration style practice prior to that) and have switched between using the breath as a focal point and just noting anything that arises without specific focus.

I have found the breathing approach does yield some calm and contented feelings, but I do not really experience any particular insights into the nature of experience etc.  I am also prone to becoming a bit mechanical and the 'rising-falling-sitting' notes become mantra like and repetitious.  The opposite of mindfulness....

Conversely the broader focus - or no focus at all - does seem to produce some 'aha' moments, as well as experiencing a sh** load of energetic phenomena, (vibrations, spasms and the like).

There is plenty of info out there about these, I know, but I suppose I'm looking for some external validation/direction as to my experiences.  I have found focusing on the abdomen quite a 'dull' practice, but I am equally loathed to go against time-tested advice and start thinking I know best after 2 minutes experience!

Happy New Year to you all.
Change A, modified 9 Years ago at 12/31/14 12:58 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/31/14 12:58 PM

RE: narrow V broad focus

Broader focus/open awareness sometimes is not suitable for some people. It can bring to light some things which may trigger fear (vibrations, spasms etc. are a way to block them coming to light). Practicing concentration can bring to light smaller stuff which one may be able to handle better.
J C, modified 9 Years ago at 12/31/14 1:36 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 12/31/14 1:36 PM

Hugh Fox:
Was just looking for some discussion as to the merits of each approach.  I've been practicing noting style vipassana since the summer, (a few years concentration style practice prior to that) and have switched between using the breath as a focal point and just noting anything that arises without specific focus.

I have found the breathing approach does yield some calm and contented feelings, but I do not really experience any particular insights into the nature of experience etc.  I am also prone to becoming a bit mechanical and the 'rising-falling-sitting' notes become mantra like and repetitious.  The opposite of mindfulness....

I have had the "mantra like and repetitious" experience also, and I have found one way to prevent that is to add an additional focal point - I use the sense of touch, and I note it in between noting rising and falling. So my notes go rising-rising-touching-rising-touching-falling-falling-touching-rising-rising-falling and so forth. This adds an element of unpredictability that removes the repetition.

By "touching" I mean any awareness of any part of my body touching clothes, the bed, pillow, or any other part of my body. So I notice my attention flickering and bouncing around between my breathing and various parts of my body, and this leads to insight.
Hugh Fox, modified 9 Years ago at 1/6/15 4:16 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/6/15 4:16 AM

thanks for the replies.  I suppose it is just an inevitable fact of practice that some are more distracted and less fruitful than others, so I'll persevere with the noting of the abdomen for a while longer.