How To Be Ultra Spiritual with J.P. Sears

Steve, modified 9 Years ago at 1/3/15 9:50 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/3/15 9:49 AM

How To Be Ultra Spiritual with J.P. Sears

J.P. Sears is an actual coach/counselor.   In this satirical video he pokes fun at some of the silly things people can fall into

http://youtu.be/1kDso5ElFRg
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 9 Years ago at 1/3/15 11:49 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/3/15 11:49 PM

RE: How To Be Ultra Spiritual with J.P. Sears

Yeah, that's funny stuff. My wife just showed me that one a few days ago, so it must be going around.
Dave sdfsdf, modified 9 Years ago at 1/4/15 7:44 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/4/15 7:44 AM

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/5639574

I have encountered some of these people in my days. He forgot that inorder to be a guru you need to have a flower next to you when talking. But not a standard one, no no it must be an asian looking one.
I liked the comment about talking quietly and softly. "If I talk to loud maybe my ego will wake up.". "If I talk softly and slowly, my point will be much clerarer". Its like talking loudly at someone that doesnt speak your language hoping they will understand you. I like gurus with joie de viere.
Steve, modified 9 Years ago at 1/4/15 8:16 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/4/15 8:16 PM

Paweł K:
he forgot about doing often very long pauses when talking
lots of ultra spiritual people do it, it is sign of being ultra enlightened

Meh.  I got that from old Kung Fu episode from the 70s
Steve, modified 9 Years ago at 1/12/15 9:32 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/4/15 8:18 PM

J.P. Sears on his youtube channel also has sequels to that satire.  Some are flat out hilarious, like him mocking the trendy ( among Americans ) drug "Ayuhosca" (sp?).

His serious videos aren't half bad either.   I don't know if he has credentials with psychotherapy or counseling,but he seems to have a talent for it.
thumbnail
Rachel Lane, modified 9 Years ago at 1/12/15 9:14 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/12/15 9:14 PM

Thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying some of his other videos too.
thumbnail
Jonas E, modified 9 Years ago at 3/2/15 1:18 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/2/15 1:18 PM

Sorry to be the party pooper emoticon But I have a quesiton about this thread which is central to some moral issues which been hitting my mind for like 10-15 years. I guess I mean just all kinds of moral issues since it might be something to learn about even after full enlightenment.. Maybe when you are Buddha you are perfect in morality?
Anyway, I feel humor in such a way like this video can be harmful to people who are like this. I mean many who are like this will verry likely deny that they are like this and hence they barrely get effected by it or they react on it so their "over-spirituality-sankhara" just grows. I dont see why it is funny because it is attacking to people who are like this. Sure it can also be with a good intention such as that people like this see that they actualy are like this and its delusion.

It might just be me who judge it negative?
I know I use to react to this kind of stuf in a negative way, but that in it self doesnt show me anything other my own reaction pattern. Im verry greatful for an honest answear emoticon

Aaa now I think I understand, It is funny because they simply just got into a strange trip and didnt realize it haha emoticon. And then its kindly funny in a absolute sence since it is ofcourse a weird trip from the absolute point of view. Ash now my mind doubted a bit again... Maybe it is because I used to react with such fear when people laughed and I didnt understand why...
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 9 Years ago at 3/18/15 1:20 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/18/15 1:20 PM

Jonas Emil Eriksson:
Sorry to be the party pooper emoticon But I have a quesiton about this thread which is central to some moral issues which been hitting my mind for like 10-15 years. I guess I mean just all kinds of moral issues since it might be something to learn about even after full enlightenment.. Maybe when you are Buddha you are perfect in morality?
Anyway, I feel humor in such a way like this video can be harmful to people who are like this. I mean many who are like this will verry likely deny that they are like this and hence they barrely get effected by it or they react on it so their "over-spirituality-sankhara" just grows. I dont see why it is funny because it is attacking to people who are like this. Sure it can also be with a good intention such as that people like this see that they actualy are like this and its delusion.

It might just be me who judge it negative?
I know I use to react to this kind of stuf in a negative way, but that in it self doesnt show me anything other my own reaction pattern. Im verry greatful for an honest answear emoticon

Aaa now I think I understand, It is funny because they simply just got into a strange trip and didnt realize it haha emoticon. And then its kindly funny in a absolute sence since it is ofcourse a weird trip from the absolute point of view. Ash now my mind doubted a bit again... Maybe it is because I used to react with such fear when people laughed and I didnt understand why...

Interesting post... I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to say...

I find that there is a difference between those who actually practice, and those who don't but say they do. This video is making a joke of those who say they do but don't. The reason it's funny is because a lot of us know people like this, and it's just ironic that the same people who boast their practice might be the same who don't actually practice.

Humor is sometimes used as a way to be passive aggressive. I think like this video. I find it funny, but I can't deny that it also upsets me seeing those kinds of people. Sometimes I take it personally, sometimes it just upsets me becasue I feel like I can see exactly why they still suffer so much.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 3/18/15 3:23 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/18/15 3:23 PM

Travis Gene McKinstry:
The reason it's funny is because a lot of us know people like this
It's funny to me cause I know myself to be like this. It points out the bullshit within each of us to "act" from the ego part of ourselves. This discomfort gets released as laughter. Most humor causes some level of discomfort if it is really funny not just clever. There is usually a butt to the joke and wouldn't really be funny if it was happening to you at the time, this creates the stress and discomfortable feelings, we then laugh or get insulted....the last thing we want to do is identify the discomfort with ourselves unless we can laugh at that....
heheh....I just acted like a wise, intelligent, thoughtful poster....who am I kidding ...I see my ego showing how clever I am....hahah
~D
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 9 Years ago at 3/18/15 7:21 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/18/15 7:21 PM

Dream Walker:
Travis Gene McKinstry:
The reason it's funny is because a lot of us know people like this
It's funny to me cause I know myself to be like this. It points out the bullshit within each of us to "act" from the ego part of ourselves. This discomfort gets released as laughter. Most humor causes some level of discomfort if it is really funny not just clever. There is usually a butt to the joke and wouldn't really be funny if it was happening to you at the time, this creates the stress and discomfortable feelings, we then laugh or get insulted....the last thing we want to do is identify the discomfort with ourselves unless we can laugh at that....
heheh....I just acted like a wise, intelligent, thoughtful poster....who am I kidding ...I see my ego showing how clever I am....hahah
~D
D,

Do you even know who Buddha is?? ;) jk

Breadcrumb