Vipassana meditation states vs stages in insight

mikko, modified 9 Years ago at 1/5/15 3:12 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/5/15 3:11 PM

Vipassana meditation states vs stages in insight

Hi,
I've read the Theravada pre-stream entry nana model from MCTB.
What I'm wondering how my experiences on the cushion and off the cushion correlate with this.

Should I consider that these insights that I attain during meditation stay with me off the cushion, or do I have to attain them again and again until I gain stream entry?

Or is it more like that there is an after glow from the vipassana meditatin state and knowledge of insight a bit like with samatha jhanas except perhaps a bit more sticky.

I mean I've read some posts saying "I'm in ReOb" or one post recently stating that I'm in 3C. That probably means that I'm "in that knowledge off the cushion as well".

So in general I'm wondering the aspects of the path represent themselves A: while meditating B: while out and about living your life. I don't think this is clearly stated in MCTB. It discusses the nanas so first I thought they are kind of "meditative states", but then I read people on the forums talking about how they're in a specific stage on the path like let's say "Re-Observation". This confuses me a bit so If anyone can clarify I would appreciate it very much! emoticon
thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/21/15 7:35 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/21/15 7:35 AM

RE: Vipassana meditation states vs stages in insight

mikko:
I mean I've read some posts saying "I'm in ReOb" or one post recently stating that I'm in 3C. That probably means that I'm "in that knowledge off the cushion as well".

So in general I'm wondering the aspects of the path represent themselves A: while meditating B: while out and about living your life. ...

HI Mikko, 

yep when I am going through a cycle, especially a dark night stage, I can feel it all day every day, until it passes and the next stage takes its place. Sometimes its not very clear to me what stage I am at. I can tell when I am in the dark night though, sometimes its really really strong and I cant do much apart from just sit of the sofa and watch TV and have a long bath or go to bed early, other times its mild and i can just get on with my day without much of an issue. 

hows your practice at the moment?
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 6/22/15 3:28 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/22/15 3:28 AM

mikko:
Hi,
I've read the Theravada pre-stream entry nana model from MCTB.
What I'm wondering how my experiences on the cushion and off the cushion correlate with this.

Should I consider that these insights that I attain during meditation stay with me off the cushion, or do I have to attain them again and again until I gain stream entry?

Or is it more like that there is an after glow from the vipassana meditatin state and knowledge of insight a bit like with samatha jhanas except perhaps a bit more sticky.

So in general I'm wondering the aspects of the path represent themselves A: while meditating B: while out and about living your life. I don't think this is clearly stated in MCTB. It discusses the nanas so first I thought they are kind of "meditative states", but then I read people on the forums talking about how they're in a specific stage on the path like let's say "Re-Observation". This confuses me a bit so If anyone can clarify I would appreciate it very much! emoticon
I didn't understand the mechanics of cycling, for a long time after reading MCTB, which was really annoying.  

I think of it like a speedometer, in that one will likely go all the way up and then all the way down, in reverse order (regardless of whether each individual stage is detected).   

m&b, c&e, 3 c's, a&p, diss., fear, misery, disguist, dfd, reobs, eq, reobs, dfd, disguist, misery, fear, diss., a&p, 3 C's, c&e, m&b

Or, their cutting edge might be misery, and they might cycle up from m&b to misery and then between missery and the 3 c's several times.

m&b, c&e, 3 c's, a&p, diss., fear, misery, fear, diss., a&p, 3 c's, a&p, diss., fear, misery, .... ... etc...

In the second example, misery is the yogi's cutting edge.  Each nana has a lot of possible side effects, which will completely vary by individual.  The cutting edge nana is likely the one that will produce the most side effects, because the process of experiencing these effects and not reacting is the very disembedding process that IS awakening.  When someone says "I am IN Reobs" (from OP), to me, that translates as, "I am cycling between m&b and reobs, both purposely on the cushion, and automatically of the cushion, and am most prominently experiencing the effects of reobs each time I hit it, creating the appearance that I am remaining in reobs, even though I am actually in motion."

Another thing to note is that the jhanas correspond to the nanas, so one can spontaneously, or purposefully, have a mix, within a given sitting.  Below is an example of this 'mixing' between m&b and dissolution

m&b, c&e, 3 c's, 2nd jhana, dissolution, a&p, 1st jhana, c&e, ..... .... etc... 

Also, it is significant that a given nana has sub-levels to it and it can take months or years to get through a given nana, but once one is fully disembedded from it (having gained 'mastery' of the territory), it may only take minutes to get through.
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 8 Years ago at 6/22/15 1:48 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/22/15 1:48 PM

The Nanas are cyclic, not speedometric emoticon

Breadcrumb