Best Hard Jhana Concentration Books/Texts

Gedanken, modified 9 Years ago at 1/9/15 4:43 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/9/15 4:43 AM

Best Hard Jhana Concentration Books/Texts

I am determined to master the hard jhanas 1 to 4 and just wanted to compile a list of the best books/texts users have come across in this regard. I plan on studying these books/texts and applying the exercises they recommend so practical books are preferable but of course theoretical books are welcome. I will be undertaking a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio of meditation:reading so that I actually do the exercises/techniques outlined and give it a fair go.

I'm currently reading Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm and applying the above model. Other books that I have come across relate to Pa Auk's teaching of Jhanas such as Focused and Fearless by Shaila Catherine, and also Wisdom Wide and Deep, Practicing the Jhanas by Tina Rasmussen and Stephen Snyder.

I have had a read through of Ian And's sticky thread (http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/1191517) and will be looking at it more indepthly once more.

I'm open to any texts/books that deal with mastery of jhana, it does not have to specifically be from a Buddhist perspective.
thumbnail
Bill F, modified 9 Years ago at 1/9/15 1:18 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/9/15 1:18 PM

RE: Best Hard Jhana Concentration Books/Texts

Not necessarily hard jhana but Richad Shankman's "The Experience of Samadhi" is a nice comparative look at Jhana. Vince Horn also reccomended to me Alan Wallace's "The Attention Revolution" when I had asked him for books about shamatha. I flipped through it a little. Wasn't bad, but didn't pull me particularly, but you may find it useful. From a Chan perspective Master Sheng Yen's "Hoofprints of the Ox" has a nice section on practices to cultivate stillness, but doesn't refer to practices as jhana, and may be more broad than what you are looking for.
thumbnail
chris mc, modified 9 Years ago at 1/9/15 4:57 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/9/15 4:57 PM

I'm currently reading Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm and applying the above model. Other books that I have come across relate to Pa Auk's teaching of Jhanas such as Focused and Fearless by Shaila Catherine, and also Wisdom Wide and Deep, Practicing the Jhanas by Tina Rasmussen and Stephen Snyder.

I have read the relevant parts of those four books.  Culadasa also has some good, free, material available on getting to jhana.

Why do you want to read multiple books, though, why not just pick one good one and take your time with it?  It has been my experience that I tended to rush through a book to get to the next one, and didn't do the exercises that the author recommended, when I had more than one book waiting to be read.  Then, when I practiced, I'd mix instructions in one sitting, or try one set of instructions for a few days, then switch to another, without ever giving something enough time to work properly.

There are differences in the instructions set out in each book.  Ajahn Brahm teaches to use the whole breath as object, Shaila Catherine teaches to follow the sensations at the spot where the nostrils meet the upper lip.  One book teaches to wait for the nimitta to appear and then switch focus, others teach something differently.  Even between Shaila Catherine, and Tina Rasmussen and Stephen Snyder, who both studied under Pa Auk Sayadaw, there are differences in instruction and on the criteria needed for a state to be properly called jhana.

I should mention - Catherine slightly changed her post 4th jhana teachings, and so Focused and Fearless is mildly out of date.  Wisdom Wide and Deep reflects this change so it would be the book to buy.  It contains the same concentration teachings as Focused and fearless, just slightly less elaborated on, and also contains a ton of other teachings, all the way to the end.
Gedanken, modified 9 Years ago at 1/9/15 9:48 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/9/15 9:47 PM

Bill F.:
Not necessarily hard jhana but Richad Shankman's "The Experience of Samadhi" is a nice comparative look at Jhana. Vince Horn also reccomended to me Alan Wallace's "The Attention Revolution" when I had asked him for books about shamatha. I flipped through it a little. Wasn't bad, but didn't pull me particularly, but you may find it useful. From a Chan perspective Master Sheng Yen's "Hoofprints of the Ox" has a nice section on practices to cultivate stillness, but doesn't refer to practices as jhana, and may be more broad than what you are looking for.
Thanks Bill, I have heard Shankman's work draws a good line between vipassana and shamatha jhanas so definitely something I'd look into at some point. I will look at reviews for the other books mentioned.
chris .:
I'm currently reading
Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm and applying the above
model. Other books that I have come across relate to Pa Auk's teaching
of Jhanas such as Focused and Fearless by Shaila Catherine, and also
Wisdom Wide and Deep, Practicing the Jhanas by Tina Rasmussen and
Stephen Snyder.

I have read the relevant parts of those four books.  Culadasa also has some good, free, material available on getting to jhana.

Why do you want to read multiple books, though, why not just pick one good one and take your time with it?  It has been my experience that I tended to rush through a book to get to the next one, and didn't do the exercises that the author recommended, when I had more than one book waiting to be read.  Then, when I practiced, I'd mix instructions in one sitting, or try one set of instructions for a few days, then switch to another, without ever giving something enough time to work properly.

There are differences in the instructions set out in each book.  Ajahn Brahm teaches to use the whole breath as object, Shaila Catherine teaches to follow the sensations at the spot where the nostrils meet the upper
lip.  One book teaches to wait for the nimitta to appear and then switchfocus, others teach something differently.  Even between Shaila Catherine, and Tina Rasmussen and Stephen Snyder, who both studied under
Pa Auk Sayadaw, there are differences in instruction and on the criteria needed for a state to be properly called jhana.

I should mention - Catherine slightly changed her post 4th jhana teachings, and so Focused and Fearless is mildly out of date.  Wisdom Wide and Deep reflects this change so it would be the book to buy.  It contains the
same concentration teachings as Focused and fearless, just slightly less elaborated on, and also contains a ton of other teachings, all the way to the end.
Awesome thanks for the indepth reviews and points, will keep a note on Culadasa to look into if I have troubles hitting first jhana.

Thanks for the warning haha, I have also shared the same experience which is why I'm implementing the 1:1/2:1 meditation:reading ratio. I'd just like to have other books on jhana that I would be able to refer to in the future if I get stuck at any one point or would like to experiment I suppose. Also taking into account the feat I am looking to accomplish I expect it to take several years at minimum to achieve and I like the approach of absorb what is useful, discard what is not so being able to surround myself with a plethora of different techniques I'll be able to build a style that works for me over the coming years.

I'll be going very slowly through Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond (MBB and trying to hone down the technique as I'll be taking a 3 day and 9 day retreat at Ajahn Brahm's monastery in late Feb and early April respectively. It's funny how in MBB Brahm states that it doesn't matter where you focus on the breath then goes on to say you should focus on the whole breath. And in that respects I have been mix and matching focus on the nostrils/lower lip with the whole breath  and haven't noticed much of a difference even though I am naturally drawn to nostrils/lower lip.
Small Steps, modified 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 1:10 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 1:10 PM

Why not just go to the source text for all this, the Visuddhimagga? I've read Snyder and Rasmussen's book and like it a lot for the condensed simplicity of the instructions. They also have some free talks on their website and on dharma seed basically recounting the material in the book (if you need a refresher or just want to have it more or less read back to you emoticon )

Free pdf of the Visuddhimagga is here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/PathofPurification2011.pdf
thumbnail
Psi, modified 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 5:19 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 5:10 PM

This one is excellent: covers all of the jhanas, plus the ninth, cessation

Ayya Khema , Who is My Self?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0861711270?ref_=sr_1_1&qid=1420930435&sr=8-1&keywords=ayya%20khema%20who%20is%20myself&pldnSite=1

Also 

Bhante Gunaratana, Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory Guide to Deeper States of Meditation

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Mindfulness-Plain-English-Introductory/dp/0861715292/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420931552&sr=8-4&keywords=bhante+gunaratana

If you are looking for Methods:

William Bodri, Twenty-Five Doors to Meditation: A Handbook for Entering Samadhi

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Five-Doors-Meditation-Handbook-Entering/dp/1578630355/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420931952&sr=8-2&keywords=william+bodri

Online Book by Bhante Gunaratana:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/gunaratana/wheel351.html

A retreat Talk by Ayya Khema, covers all 8 Jhanas:

http://ayyakhematalks.org/Wat_Buddha_Dhamma_1992.html

Dharana Darshan-Yogic,Tantric and Upanishadic Practices of Concentration and Visualization

http://smile.amazon.com/Darshan-Yogic-Upanishadic-Practices-Concentration-Visualization/dp/8186336303/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1420931186&sr=8-7&keywords=bihar+yoga

There is more, but, that right there is alot...

These are good books, the ones you have are good also.

Psi

Breadcrumb