Concentration having cessation as the object

Blue Jay, modified 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 10:52 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 10:52 AM

Concentration having cessation as the object

Hi

I've read about people practicing samadhi with cessation as the object. By cessation, I mean the experience that happens in a path moment. Only recently I have realised how important this cessation is. I can barely take this as my concentration object. But despite all the wavering, the relief it brings is outstanding. I can be extremely stressed and all I have to do is to direct the mind towards the memory of my first path moment and it's as if the stress is sucked into a black hole in 5 or 10 minutes. It's really wonderful!

So can anybody provide me with a link with the proper instructions to do this?

Thanks!
Blue Jay, modified 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 1:01 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 1:01 PM

RE: Concentration having cessation as the object

Thanks. But that's not what I was looking for. I meant the concentration on the path moment cessation, not nirodha samapatti. There are people who think it's the same thing and others who disagree.

So, if anyone has the instructions about samadhi on this other type of cessation, I would apreciate.

_()_
thumbnail
Incandescent Flower, modified 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 7:26 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 7:21 PM

RE: Concentration having cessation as the object (Answer)

You may find this post to be of use:

http://thehamiltonproject.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/yogi-toolbox-lengthening-fruition.html

If you have any questions about the technique, or if you're not sure how it fits in with the experiences you've described, feel free to ask.

Best of luck,
Kyle
Blue Jay, modified 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 8:05 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 8:05 PM

Thank you for the link. Really good stuff. I will be working on that. If I run into obstacles, I will ask again. emoticon
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 10:51 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 10:45 PM

Blue Jay:
Thanks. But that's not what I was looking for. I meant the concentration on the path moment cessation, not nirodha samapatti. There are people who think it's the same thing and others who disagree.

So, if anyone has the instructions about samadhi on this other type of cessation, I would apreciate.

_()_
If you are alreayd seeing good results, keep doing what you are doing. Perhaps the following passage by mahasi Sayadaw may inspire becoming aware of the fruition  attainment (which is  is post-nirodha according to the Mahasi quote)

It has already been stated that phalasamapatti (fruition attainment) first begins to occur when arising from nirodhasamapatti. This phalasamapatti being free from raga (passion), etc., it is also called suññata(the Void). As it is free of ræga-nimitta (one of the attributes of sentient existence), it is also known as animitta. Moreover, as it is free from passionate desire such as raga, etc., it is also called appanihita. As such, phassa which is also included in this samapatti is also known as suññata, animitta and appanihita. As phassa (contact) takes place by dwelling upon Nibbana, which is known as suññata (the Void), animitta (the Unconditioned), and appanithta (freedom from longing or desire), with attentive consciousness of mind, it is called suññata, etc. The answer, therefore, is that the three kinds of phassa, viz: suññataphassa, animittaphassa and appanihitaphassa first begin to take place. 

For better understanding, it may be stated that when arising from nirodhasamæpatti,contact takes place with suññata-nibbana, a condition devoid of kilesa-sankhara to which the mind has been directed as its sense-object. Contact is also made with animitta-nibbana which is devoid of or free from any sign of nimitta. Then comes mere awareness of contact with appanihita-nibbana, a condition free from vehement desire, which is the sense object that has been contemplated.http://www.dhammaweb.net/mahasi/book/Mahasi_Sayadaw_Culavedalla_Sutta.pd
And if we consider the 'deathless'/nibbana to be the cessation of sankhara and very much related to what one does in inclining tothe cessation of it all, then perhaps the following will also inspire. 

[Anuruddha & Sariputta discuss meditation]Anuruddha: “Brother Sariputta with the divine eye, which is clarified and supernormal, I am able to perceive a thousandfold world system. My energy is strong and inflexible; my remembrance is alert and unforgetful; my body is calmed and unexcited; my mind is collected and unified. Yet my mind is still not freed, without clinging, from the defiling taints (asava).”Thereupon Sariputta replied: “When you think, brother Anuruddha, that with your divine eye you can perceive a thousandfold world system, that is self-conceit in you. When you think of your strenuous energy, your alert mindfulness, your calmed body and your concentrated mind, that is agitation in you. When you think that your mind is still not liberated from the cankers, that makes for scruples in you. It will be good if the revered Anuruddha would discard these three things, would not pay attention to them and would instead direct his mind towards the Deathless-element (Nibbana).”Having heard Sariputta’s advice, Anuruddha again resorted to solitude and earnestly applied himself to the removal of those three obstructions within his mind (AN 3:128), more: Wheel 262, BPS
Blue Jay, modified 9 Years ago at 1/18/15 4:09 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/18/15 4:06 AM

In reference to the "deathless" there is also a sutta quote that basicaly explains what I've been doing. Maybe it's important for the yogi tool box website. It may be found here http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.036.than.html
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding

Breadcrumb