The right way...

Den M, modified 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 1:13 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 1:13 PM

The right way...

Hey Im new here in the forum.

Im a total meditation beginner and after reading MCTB I figured it would be best to start my pratice by doing concentration meditation and then move on to insight meditation after reaching the first jhana... as recommended by the book. 

Right now Im trying to sit for 30-60 min a day on the cushion. Is this a reasonable time?

However, I run into lots of difficulties while meditating and would like to know how you solved these:

It is almost impossible for me to really focus on the breath for the first 10 minutes of the meditation... after 10 minutes my mind seems to calm down and concentration gets much more intense. But I always find my self checking if Im really listening to the breath and it almost seems that a second level of attention is rechecking whether or not I really focus on the breath.

I dont know if anybody of you know what I mean by that since it is really hard to put it in words but any thoughts on that are highly appreciated. :-)
C P M, modified 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 4:55 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/17/15 4:41 PM

RE: The right way...

Welcome to the forum!
 Right now Im trying to sit for 30-60 min a day on the cushion. Is this a reasonable time?

Yes

It is almost impossible for me to really focus on the breath for the first 10 minutes of the meditation... after 10 minutes my mind seems to calm down and concentration gets much more intense.

Thats normal. Pretty good actually, it often takes me longer.

But I always find my self checking if Im really listening to the breath and it almost seems that a second level of attention is rechecking whether or not I really focus on the breath.
The teacher, Upasaka Culadasa, would call that "introspective awareness".  If you are interested, Chris G. created a helpful post with a zip file attached with some of his teachngs:

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/view_message/5390038#_19_message_5377660

Upasaka Culadasa's youtube channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Culadasa
Den M, modified 9 Years ago at 1/20/15 9:45 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/20/15 9:45 AM

Thanks a alot... I will check it out emoticon
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 1/20/15 11:42 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/20/15 11:40 AM

Den M:
Yes
Den M:
It is almost impossible for me to really focus on the breath for the first 10 minutes of the meditation...
10 minutes is good to begin with and you will get better on average....lots of variety from sit to sit.
Den M:
after 10 minutes my mind seems to calm down and concentration gets much more intense.
Notice the intensity...when does it get calmed down??? Can you watch that? Notice the breath and follow that but notice the state of mind also, notice any changes, any shifts. Pay attention to what is going on while meditating. If some pleasant feelings happen, you might wish to move your attention to the pleasantness and continue with that as object.
Good luck,
~D
Den M, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 6:47 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 6:47 AM

Can somebody give me some more details on Upasaka Culadasa's background?
Is he an Arahant as well? Sorry for asking that kind of questions but I always feel better when I know where the information is comming from that I am using.

Cheers :-) :-)
John M, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 7:00 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 7:00 AM

He has a detailed bio on his website, Dharma Treasure, which you might want to peruse.
Den M, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 12:49 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 12:49 PM

I ment some personal experience. :-)