Right motivation

P K, modified 6 Years ago at 3/8/18 2:03 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/20/15 3:56 PM

Right motivation

John M, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 5:05 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 5:05 AM

RE: Right motivation

Alright... except that no amount of wanting it really, really badly is guaranteed to produce actual wisdom, and more likely that this kind of driven, ardent striving will result in the kind of frustrated, burnt-out yogis whose spent husks tend to dot the contemplative landscape. 
x x, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 5:25 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 5:24 AM

That video? Nah. 

Work smart, not hard. Consistency, not heroics. Get plenty of sleep. Don't damage the body. Be kind to others along the way.
John M, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 11:53 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 11:53 AM

Gautama? Wasn't he the dude that also went on about what constitutes right effort, and how balancing that effort is a subtle endeavour, akin to tuning the strings of an instrument? Or decried severe asceticism in favour of a middle way? Also, I'm a bit foggy on my suttas, but I'm fairly certain it wasn' t the One Factor of Enlightenment. None of this seems to exactly jive with the gung-ho, balls-out, do-or-die-trying mentality present in this video.

So, I can really want it. I can want it so badly that I'm willing to endure any kind of misery -- and no doubt that might prove helpful. But if I fail to notice that the wanting is itself contributing to my misery and to the patterns and sensations that shore up perceived duality, I've probably managed to muscle and strain my way past the point entirely.

x x:
That video? Nah. 

Work smart, not hard. Consistency, not heroics. Get plenty of sleep. Don't damage the body. Be kind to others along the way.

Word.
John M, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 5:11 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 5:11 PM

Paweł K:

But like I said, its probably my wrong understanding and this video probably is just lame and stupid and point at finger, not the moon ^_^

And I'm probably just being a needlessly contrary dick emoticon

I think it's a bit clearer where you're coming from -- thanks for sharing the video and your interpretation.
thumbnail
Psi, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 6:25 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 6:25 PM

Paweł K:
Imho you missed point of this motivational video completely.
Or I read too much into it. For me it is great, it tells to look for what you want as much as breathing air. If you can find it then motivation will be there, no need to artificially induce it, and you will immediately know what to do to get it. Like with breathing you do not think "inhaling seems like hard concept, I feel like reading book or going to guru to do it...', you just inhale air as soon as you know you need it.

If you just sit and try to feel what you like really want it would do you more good that any 'middle way' and meditation practice that you read about in fancy books.

Imho it was what Buddha did after his failure in asceticism. He sat under a tree and for the first time wondered "what the f** is my problem? what do *I* want?" instead of assuming solutions to problem he never really tried to understand fully before.

But like I said, its probably my wrong understanding and this video probably is just lame and stupid and point at finger, not the moon ^_^
Pawel, This is a good speech by Eric Thomas.  It is very motivating, perhaps people are distracted by the Xtreme Sports footage and missing the message.  If so , here is Eric Thomas making speech, sans sports footage, just him talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTFnmsCnr6g

But anyway, Motivation is a vital part of a spiritual path, one does have to arouse energy to get going and keep practicing.  How bad do you want it?  Well, one has to do what it takes, for me , listening to this video inspires me to constantly redouble my efforts, stay focused on the path, and maintain the balance of the path.  Sometimes we think if we try too hard we are unbalanced, but usually we are not trying hard enough, myself included.  

So, thank you for the link, good reminder to not take life for granted.

Psi

Breadcrumb