Self esteem and Ego Death

thumbnail
H McElroy, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 4:58 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 4:58 PM

Self esteem and Ego Death

I'm having the most terrible self esteem - and my constant paranoia about weather or not I'm acting well in my relationship is about to drive me insane. Meanwhile, it seems like my ego itself is going away.. and this is somehow very painful, as if when this happens, the people who love me will no longer - since they must love my ego and not "me" .... any wisdom out there?
thumbnail
Bill F, modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 6:16 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 6:16 PM

RE: Self esteem and Ego Death

H,

Some portions of the meditative journey towards transformation are difficult, and can bring to light a great many things previously suppresed. In seeing that what we had always supposed to be solid is not can cause some real destabilization. It can also exacerbate any other dormant mental health issues. When you stop distracting yourself, there is less room for dissasociation through abstract thought, and the unconscious can come to light.
      That being said, there are some issues that are just mental health issues. It is most useful if you experience severe depression, anxiety, parnaoia, etc. to see a mental health professional. Severe as in it impairs functioning to a relevant degree. Even if it is material being brought to light through meditation -don't know your story, so I won't guess- the issues that are arising are arising because they are a piece of your experience, exacerbated though they may be.
      As for wisdom, watch what you eat. Make sure you are getting enough healthy starches, vegetables, and protein. Go for long walks. Spend time with people you enjoy spending time with, and feel comfortable around. If you are going to continue to practice take up a gentle practice for a while, for ex. practice metta only for some animal or person you feel totally safe with, and do just this in a light way for a while.
      As for people loving or not loving your ego, no one is objectively unlovable. Love is a natural rmovement that occurs when the natural warmth of reality is no longer obscured by self-consciousness. To whatever extent anyone does or does not love you is a reflection.
       Hope you find some peace in this.

Bill