Access Concentration

Conner Patrick Joyce, modified 9 Years ago at 2/5/15 12:45 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/5/15 12:45 AM

Access Concentration

Hey Everyone!
     About a month ago I started really focusing on the Jhanas and concentration as I've spent the past two years on a Dry Vipassana path and felt it was time for a change.

I have definitely seen results in my overall temperament and sitting practice once the focus was shifted towards relaxing.

I was able to attain the 1st Jhana but it was only one or two times and now I find it much harder to get to.  I think part of the issue is that Access Concentration is very inconsistent for me.  There are time periods where I can enter into it and times where I simply don't and the longer I sit the more stupefied (although relaxed as well) I get.  I find Access comes when the attention is sharp enough and I'm constantly letting go of tension before coming back to the breath (after I've wandered).  These instructions are Leigh Brasington's as well as a few other teachers'.

The issue is that its all inconsistent.  Do you all, generally, find that your concentration practice is inconsistent by nature?  Or can you train yourself to make it consistent?  If so is there possibly an important point I'm missing?

All the best!

-Conner

Breadcrumb