Similarity Between Jhanas 1-4 and 5-8

Vasily Andreev, modified 9 Years ago at 2/25/15 7:50 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/25/15 7:50 AM

Similarity Between Jhanas 1-4 and 5-8

In my practice lately, I've been feeling some really strange feeling of connection between Jhanas 1-4 corresponding in some way to 5-8. For instance, there's something about Boundless Consciousness that feels like it's coming from a similar place as #2... except boundless. And 7th feels like it has some hint of 3rd. And 8th is just 4th, but take the wide nature of 4th, and make that even more wide and boundless and you're left being so wide that you're somehow very narrow and there is NPNYNP. Anyone else have similar thoughts?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 9 Years ago at 2/25/15 12:01 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/25/15 12:01 PM

RE: Similarity Between Jhanas 1-4 and 5-8

It is common for people who are into map theory to notice those particular correlations, actually.

They are part of what can get people all into fractals and the patterns of stages resembling other stages or permutations of other stages or sub-parts or other stages or big meta-models that encompass smaller stages, etc.

It is a factinating subject. It can, hoever, get a bit intellectual but if it pulls people back into examining their own experience and exploring what the mind can do and perceive, then it can be practical and help move things along.
Vasily Andreev, modified 9 Years ago at 2/25/15 12:51 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/25/15 12:51 PM

RE: Similarity Between Jhanas 1-4 and 5-8

My answer to fractals has been to not get caught up in them, because in a certain way, fractals are only a "thing" if you're not 100% present, etc. Same thing goes with thoughts about map theory / fractal stages, etc. I've found good mileage using a Zen-like approach towards thinking about all of this stuff. Keep it simple.

Breadcrumb