Questions

Atharva Karandikar, modified 9 Years ago at 3/16/15 6:39 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/16/15 6:39 PM

Questions

Hi guys, I recently switched over to noting from vipassana. I basically just sit down and note whatever comes up, something like whats in this post: 

http://thehamiltonproject.blogspot.ca/2011/01/yogi-toolbox-fast-noting.html 

Although not at that speed yet. I note the sensation several times and then move onto another one, and so on. My question is, how long do I remain on one sensation, because when I move onto another one I feel like I am willfully moving from one place to another. Should I stay on a sensation until it disappears?

Also any advice about noting is greatly appreciated. I am very confused about this technique. 
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 3/17/15 1:15 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/17/15 1:15 PM

RE: Questions

Atharva Karandikar:
Hi guys, I recently switched over to noting from vipassana.
What exactly were you doing before?...step by step explain what is vipassana
Atharva Karandikar:
I basically just sit down and note whatever comes up,
again, explain step by step what you do.
Atharva Karandikar:
how long do I remain on one sensation
As long as your attention is on that sensation
Atharva Karandikar:
, because when I move onto another one I feel like I am willfully moving from one place to another. Should I stay on a sensation until it disappears?
Your attention moves from one thing to the next, notice what it is on and then what it is on next. you need not direct it....see that it is happening on it's own, just watch which sense your attention is on for the next 60 seconds and count them. did you need to direct anything? Then try using a word to describe the sensation - seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling , tasting, thinking. stay with the 6 words until you get that down then you can make the note word more descriptive you you really want to. The words are only there to stop you from getting lost in thought. Noticing the sensation is the key.
Atharva Karandikar:
Also any advice about noting is greatly appreciated. I am very confused about this technique. 

Read this - http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/mental-noting/

Good luck,
~D