Have you attained technichal paths through Thai Forest methods?

Pål, modified 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 3:50 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 3:50 PM

Have you attained technichal paths through Thai Forest methods?

If, so which one? I'm into the methods of Ajahn Brahm and Thanissaro Bhikkhu nowadays (their methods are identical for beginners but differ a lot on advanced levels) and I wonder what it might lead to. At least it feels really nice meditating the simplistic and relaxation focused thai way. Do these methods lead you into the nanas btw?
Ross Alan Keller, modified 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 5:00 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 5:00 PM

RE: Have you attained technichal paths through Thai Forest methods?

yes indeed my friend... well, not sure what you mean by technical path..?

Relation to life has been revolutionized. and best of all... nobody ever has to know. making claims and believing that it holds some magic just by saying it doesnt get anyone more enlightened. so everyone be safe and carefule, strive towards the relinqishment of aquisitions... it would be a shame to wander off the path ( thats hard to get to in the first place) for some pretty flowers or visions of divine beings.

shifting from attainment minded to release-of-clinging/craving minded is indespensable, as the later stages of practice deal with release of conceit and ignorance. theres power in release as mara cant trace what is unfabricated, unbound, and unalloyed. 

I accepted Ajhan Geoff (Thanissaro Bhikkhu)as my teacher. its a true blessing to have admirable friends and someone who knows a thing or two about a path (majjhima Patipada) of practice. also i consider my self primarily of thai forest tradition, for at least 2 life times now. a yogi of the 8fold way for many... ;)

Sabbe Satta
Bhavantu Sukkhitata!
thumbnail
Jenny, modified 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 5:30 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 5:30 PM

I've used meditation manuals by Ajaan Lee and Than-Geoff, if that is what you mean by "methods." Basically, especially in the year before first path, I used jhanas as a platforms for jumping off into vipassana. I Added to that a heavy dose of Ingram meditation instructions, such as those posted here on the DhO for helping Fitter Stoke go from second to third--I have used these particularly after first/second path and particularly those that are less Burmese noting and more Mahamudra influenced or based on choiceless awareness practices.

Yes, I have gotten paths from a mix of these two major influences. I don't distinguish "technical paths" from "paths," by the way. I'm not sure what difference you have in mind. "Technical" implies some limitation that seems never to be defined by people who adopt that term to describe paths that don't make some undisclosed grade. Path is path.

Jenny
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 6:52 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 6:52 PM

I think he's distinguishing MCTB paths from the 10 fetter system, which aren't related.
Pål, modified 9 Years ago at 3/26/15 4:44 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/26/15 4:44 PM

Not Tao:
I think he's distinguishing MCTB paths from the 10 fetter system, which aren't related.

This. But I'm not 100% if they are related or not.

Breadcrumb