Do any of you highly attained people still enjoy the Jhanas?

thumbnail
Bailey , modified 9 Years ago at 3/29/15 10:40 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/29/15 10:39 AM

Do any of you highly attained people still enjoy the Jhanas?

I never had too much interest in the Jhanas but after the paths I have had no desire to experience the Jhanas and when I do experience them they aren't that great.  I don't know much about them, maybe I am still experiencing the "weak ones" and the "hard ones" are more enjoyable? I would rather be an idiot and sit and watch youtube videos than try to go into a jhana.  How do you guys feel?  I guess I'm mainy asking people who have completed all the paths as I think they have enough peace which might make the jhanas more obsolete? Let me know!
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 9 Years ago at 3/30/15 12:04 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/30/15 11:58 AM

RE: Do any of you highly attained people still enjoy the Jhanas?

What is so important about this question that you "feel" the need to ask? Is there some doubt in your mind?

There is an old and wise saying that goes: "Those who know don't say and those who say don't know." The older I become, the more complete the comprehension of that truth becomes.

Another quote is: "What is the point of throwing pearls to the swine."

One may need to contemplate these ideas to understand the point they are making.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 9 Years ago at 3/30/15 1:31 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/30/15 1:31 PM

RE: Do any of you highly attained people still enjoy the Jhanas?

For a period of time I lost interest in them. I do enjoy them again but I don't feel any neediness toward them. Having a preference for jhana or a non-preference for jhana is just more preferences. If you're practicing and they're there you don't need to have aversion towards them, nor do you have to have aversion when they don't show up. That's a big insight right there. Holding onto preferences is clinging.

Breadcrumb