RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! CJMacie 4/19/15 11:48 PM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! Alin Mathews 4/20/15 10:50 AM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! Rafal K 4/20/15 2:19 AM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! Alin Mathews 4/20/15 10:54 AM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! b man 4/20/15 3:20 AM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! Alin Mathews 4/20/15 7:10 AM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! b man 4/20/15 7:52 AM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! Alin Mathews 4/20/15 8:18 AM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem 4/20/15 1:25 PM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! Rafal K 4/21/15 4:26 AM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! Simon Ekstrand 4/21/15 8:42 AM
RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!! Psi 4/21/15 9:04 AM
RE: Authenticity of noting b man 4/18/15 9:13 AM
RE: Authenticity of noting Alin Mathews 4/19/15 3:24 AM
RE: Authenticity of noting b man 4/19/15 6:07 AM
RE: Authenticity of noting Alin Mathews 4/19/15 1:29 PM
RE: Authenticity of noting b man 4/19/15 1:28 PM
RE: Authenticity of noting Alin Mathews 4/19/15 3:54 PM
RE: Authenticity of noting b man 4/19/15 4:10 PM
RE: Spilt thread - Actualism is on topic: Discuss Psi 4/20/15 12:57 PM
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/17/15 7:56 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/17/15 7:11 PM

Spilt thread - Actualism is on topic: Discuss

b man:
Alin Mathews:

actualism forums openly discuss which instinctual passions reared up in what form to cause one to lose the plot during daily life, but without venting as that is counter productive to consciously deleting the ancient emotional reactions and social identity that condones lashing out  

The thing is, this isnt a actualism forum, its a pragmatic dhama forum. What you are describing sounds like the philosophical analysis of ones  "stuff", deliving into the psyhcology of why we feel the way we do. What I am suggesting is go and get over all that how ever you feel before you come onto the forum, and then you'll free yourself up to focus on the task at hand, which to my mind, on this forum, should be about discussing meditation practice and not how you feel in daily life.

Maybe I have misunderstood you though?

err... actualism is now considered on topic in this forum in case you haven't read the constant furors about this.

and the reason why you have misundertood what i was clarifying is simply because one can't cover what the practice of actualism is (or the dharma) in one email to someone who's read nothing about it.

so i don't blame you for imagining actualism sounds like merely shallow philosophical analysis of one's "stuff" but i can assure you it is far from the case. the reason being; to an actualist (for want of a better term) philosophies and psychologies are just more tried and failed subjective snorkling. their intent is to go deep sea diving not into pali suttas but to the root of the origins of human aggressions so as to end their nonsense permanently before they surface as more senseless merely antidotal "stuff".

you see an actualists goal is to become unconditionally harmless both to their own body and others, thus punching anything to get rid of one's aggressions or taking a long bath to feel good on before going online, is what prompted me to post. as your dharma practice suggestions (i gather you are a dharma student) are in stark contrast to an actualist's goal of unconditional freedom from any need to punch or practice anything ever again once the culprit for all human violence is totally rooted out.  

the instinctual passions actualists are examining are the same survival passions all animals inherit, except our conceptualising brain now trivialises the subjective emotions they surface as into my "stuff" then builds whole enviromentally destructive civilizations and justifies going to war with fists and bullets and words on forums over that shallow "stuff".

so it is for the safety of the planet not just one's self serving happiness to find out what kneejerk drives motivate this complex brain's automatic responses as not doing so keeps us dangerous fighting morons.  

thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 4/17/15 7:44 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/17/15 7:42 PM

RE: Authenticity of noting

Alin Mathews:
b man:
Alin Mathews:

actualism forums openly discuss which instinctual passions reared up in what form to cause one to lose the plot during daily life, but without venting as that is counter productive to consciously deleting the ancient emotional reactions and social identity that condones lashing out  

The thing is, this isnt a actualism forum, its a pragmatic dhama forum. What you are describing sounds like the philosophical analysis of ones  "stuff", deliving into the psyhcology of why we feel the way we do. What I am suggesting is go and get over all that how ever you feel before you come onto the forum, and then you'll free yourself up to focus on the task at hand, which to my mind, on this forum, should be about discussing meditation practice and not how you feel in daily life.

Maybe I have misunderstood you though?

err... actualism is now considered on topic in this forum in case you haven't read the constant furors about this.

and the reason why you have misundertood what i was clarifying is simply because one can't cover what the practice of actualism is (or the dharma) in one email to someone who's read nothing about it.

so i don't blame you for imagining actualism sounds like merely shallow philosophical analysis of one's "stuff" but i can assure you it is far from the case. the reason being; to an actualist (fro want of a better term) philosophies and psychologies are just more tried and failed subjective snorkling. their intent is to get to the root of the origins of ones aggressions and desires. iow they go deep sea diving to see in action the instinctual passions before they surface as senseless psychological "stuff".

you see an actualists goal is to become unconditionally harmless both to their own body and others, thus punching anything to get rid of one's aggressions or getting a feel good on before going online is what prompted me to post, as it is in stark difference to your practice as a dharma student

these instinctual passions we are examining are the same survival passions all animals inherit, except our conceptualising brain trivialises the subjective emotions they surface as, into "my stuff" then builds whole enviromentally destructive civilizations with that shallow "stuff" and uses it to justify going to war with fellow human beings not only with fists and bullets but words on forums.

so it is for the safety of the planet, not just one's happiness, to find out what kneejerk drives motivate this complex brain's automatic responses. not doing so keeps us morons.  

Alin, 

Haha, Go for a run!  I just did and I feel Actually Free! And look ma, no cigarettes!

You seem pretty serious about b man making some comments in fun about hitting pillows and having sex...  I mean it's not like he said to do it at the same time or anything.... not like that.... not Actually,  emoticon

Psi
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/17/15 7:59 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/17/15 7:59 PM

Psi:

Haha, Go for a run!  I just did and I feel Actually Free! And look ma, no cigarettes!

You seem pretty serious about b man making some comments in fun about hitting pillows and having sex...  I mean it's not like he said to do it at the same time or anything.... not like that.... not Actually,  emoticon

Psi

i've never been fooled by our sense of humor Psi, it's just a thug in disguise emoticon   
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 4/17/15 9:17 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/17/15 9:17 PM

Alin Mathews:
Psi:

Psi

i've never been fooled by our sense of humor Psi, it's just a thug in disguise emoticon   

It is all good Alin, I know from where you are speaking from with your postings.  You are trying to help by cutting through the ego delusion, the I and the I-making, from which stems the instinctual responses and patterns of reactive behaviors, and when one is free from that, even if it is just for a moment, one is actually free.  But do not be deceived that this is from one special teaching or only tried and true from this person or that person.  It is simply the way it is, like a Law of Nature.  There really is no discoverer of what has always existed.

It is like in the old days, when ships would set sail and discover new lands, yet the lands had already existed for millions of years.  The land is not new, only new to the discoverer.  And many times there are already people living on the lands.  I hope you understand the deeper meaning of this metaphorically.

With Sincerity,

Psi
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/18/15 12:50 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/17/15 9:53 PM

Psi:
It is all good Alin, I know from where you are speaking from with your postings.  You are trying to help by cutting through the ego delusion, the I and the I-making, from which stems the instinctual responses and patterns of reactive behaviors, and when one is free from that, even if it is just for a moment, one is actually free.  But do not be deceived that this is from one special teaching or only tried and true from this person or that person.  It is simply the way it is, like a Law of Nature.  There really is no discoverer of what has always existed.

It is like in the old days, when ships would set sail and discover new lands, yet the lands had already existed for millions of years.  The land is not new, only new to the discoverer.  And many times there are already people living on the lands.  I hope you understand the deeper meaning of this metaphorically.

With Sincerity,

Psi

Thanks Psi,  

but if the goal of the dharma was no different to actualism's then AF would have no raison d'etre as the dharma would have successfully done the job of elimininating human violence millennia ago.  

so i cannot agree that the examination of the survival passions - which no one but actualists ever mentions here, with the intention of deleting them permanently so as to become incapable of bio-psychological aggression - is the same as "simply the way it is, like a Law of Nature" and that there is no new actual land to discover.

we have barely begun to uncover the laws of nature, let alone the tenacity of our aggressive psyche, so it would be pure vanity to imagine there is nothing new under the sun already.  
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 4/18/15 4:18 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/18/15 4:18 AM

Alin Mathews:
Psi:

With Sincerity,

Psi

Thanks Psi,  

but if the goal of the dharma was no different to actualism's then AF would have no raison d'etre as the dharma would have successfully done the job of elimininating human violence millennia ago.  

so i cannot agree that the examination of the survival passions - which no one but actualists ever mentions here, with the intention of deleting them permanently so as to become incapable of bio-psychological aggression - is the same as "simply the way it is, like a Law of Nature" and that there is no new actual land to discover.

we have barely begun to uncover the laws of nature, let alone the tenacity of our aggressive psyche, so it would be pure vanity to imagine there is nothing new under the sun already.  

So, just what do you think is Nibbana?

Psi
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 3:21 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/18/15 10:33 PM

Psi:

Psi

what's the just for?
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:09 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:09 PM

Alin Mathews:
Psi:

Psi

what's the just for?
just means exactly

So, exactly what do you think is Nibbana?

Psi
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:21 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:21 PM

Psi:
Alin Mathews:
Psi:

With Sincerity,

Psi

Thanks Psi,  

Really? Then show me where Buddhists have caused mass murders and genocides.

Really? Do you not understand what Craving and Dukkha is? And that the elimination of Craving and Dukkha encompass and eliminate what you call survival passions.

Really?  Each Law we uncover only uncovers that which has already existed.  So, it seems that pure vanity lies in the mirror of one who claims it would be pure vanity to imagine there is nothing new under the sun already, or perhaps one is just ignoring reality.

Psi
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:55 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:54 PM

Psi:

why are you asking me in block letters? calm down. Google; Buddhism and violence, monks with guns, The Tibetan Myth and on and on.  then check out the wonderful state India is in. Buddhism is within the instinctual passions of the human condition, not free-of-it.  

Really? Do you not understand what Craving and Dukkha is? And that the elimination of Craving and Dukkha encompass and eliminate what you call survival passions.

could you shout any louder? are you okay? 

Really?  Each Law we uncover only uncovers that which has already existed.  So, it seems that pure vanity lies in the mirror of one who claims it would be pure vanity to imagine there is nothing new under the sun already, or perhaps one is just ignoring reality.

Psi

and all this without the courtesy of answering my last question to you.  

no thanks
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 6:35 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 6:35 PM

Alin Mathews:
Psi:

why are you asking me in block letters? calm down. Google; Buddhism and violence, monks with guns, The Tibetan Myth and on and on.  then check out the wonderful state India is in. Buddhism is within the instinctual passions of the human condition, not free-of-it.  

Psi

and all this without the courtesy of answering my last question to you.  

no thanks
The block letters was so one could easily differentiate between your words and my reply words, Jeez, that was all written with a peaceful mind, chillax buddyroo.  Anyway, You seem to not be interested in any valid discussion. So this conversation is done.

Over and out, you are a hoot! emoticon hahahahahahaha

Psi
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 11:05 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 9:11 PM

Psi:

Psi

what is the just for?

The block letters was so one could easily differentiate between your words and my reply words, Jeez, that was all written with a peaceful mind, chillax buddyroo.  Anyway, You seem to not be interested in any valid discussion. So this conversation is done.

Over and out, you are a hoot! emoticon hahahahahahaha

Psi

if you had used quote boxes to separate your txt from mine, then your block letters (usually used for emphasis) combined with your emphatically asked questions all starting with "Really?" - as though your view point was being invalidated, followed by your "jeez" [of mild annoyance] - it would not have looked like your "peaceful mind" was far from reflecting goodwill and understanding, in your format and manner. 
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 1:13 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 12:08 PM

RE: WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!!

Paweł K:
Alin Mathews:

but if the goal of the dharma was no different to actualism's then AF would have no raison d'etre as the dharma would have successfully done the job of elimininating human violence millennia ago.  

it would be easier to get enlightened hundred of times in a row than enlighten one other person
it is not Buddha fault that people are ignorant and stupid. We are just not there in out meta-cognitive abilities to go above our emotions as a species. When we evolve into Volcans then it will be natural thing to do to drop emotions and as for now single events of liberation from them is all we can wish for =(

BTW. Actualism have yet to prove that it have potential to awaken more people than Dharma. All those years ago when Richard conceived idea of Actual Freedom it was premature to think this actualism method have what it takes to cause some kind of revolution and change us into Volcans but now after all those years when it is obvious that success-rate is well below estimates it is actually silly to still speak with this grandiose tone. It is not a bad system but nothing revolutionary either. Is your clinging toward it blinding you and changed you into what is known 'fanboy'?

ha! if you knew how far from being a Richard fan boy i actually am Pawel, it would blow your mind. best not to make so many assumptions about things one knows nothing about. 

my interest is only in awakening a benign intelligence - sans beliefs - using my own experiences and jems from every practice ever attempted. favoritism is not my baggage. i don't have the kind of mentality that needs to believe in anything, let alone that Richard or the Buddha had the handle on this trip. Richard has damaged neurons which his brain compensated for by activating thinking skills most undamaged brains rarely use. therefore i have the same appreciation for what he uncovered as i have for all explorers of consciousness sharing all over the net. interesting times indeed.     

as for track records Buddha's success stats are even worse for 'all those thousands of years ago' if comparing him with AF's measley 15 years online has meaning for you.  

but like i've said, each time you bring up numbers, they mean nothing to me as the variations and degrees of awakening are still far too subjective to ascertain with any accuracy. not to mention the rediculous behaviour of so many gurus and claimants of enlightenment. 

the success of this endeavour to make these feet of clay less harmful to ourselves and each other is in our actual behaviour, not our imaginations. it's what we share and how well we relate that speaks volumes.   
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:37 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:27 PM

Paweł K:
Dearest Alin

Assumptions is what our minds are about. Without being able to choose our assumptions and think according to them we would be unable to do any cognition. Try to think about own being without any assumptions... you won't be able to.

no need to exaggerate Pawel, i only said "best not to make so many assumptions about things one knows nothing about."

in fact there is very little need to make assumptions once you've accepted that if it's not an experiential fact then you are probably just expressing an opinion thats not worth having.     

This is called 'emptiness' in Buddhist tradition and to achieve ability to see world in that way is pretty darn good attainment.

So I have assumptions about your person... well, I have to have them to have any conversation as without them there would be too much options to what your words could mean. It seemed to me that you are this thick skulled actualist who have no own thoughts about what self-realization is and only repeat Richard. If that is not true then good for you. Maybe I should treat you as real thinking living person, not actualist zombie ^_^

you seem to be highly focussed on 'me' as a person rather than what i'm sharing Pawel. you might benefit by looking into that. it might reveal what your strong sense of self fears most; that your body doesn't need 'you', that in fact it's intelligence is hindered by 'you' mercilessly ruling over it like an instinctively defensive robot.  

BTW. You have assumptions about me too. I know that, and I even deliberately present myself in some specific way to support them to give you this nice feeling of comfort that you properly classified me in your mind, even if that is bullshit story I present to you.

Without metta,
Paweł

i have no assumptions about you Pawel. i simply read your words at face value, then you have to remind me again of what i was supposed to assume; that you were only being sarcastic. remember? besides, there is no need to make assumptions about you as it's plain as day in all the wicked webs you weave that 'you' and your magnificent attainments not (as far as i'm concerned) is where your mind is at.  
thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:37 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:37 PM

Alin Mathews:
Paweł K:
Dearest Alin

Assumptions is what our minds are about. Without being able to choose our assumptions and think according to them we would be unable to do any cognition. Try to think about own being without any assumptions... you won't be able to.

no need to exaggerate Pawel, i only said "best not to make so many assumptions about things one knows nothing about."

in fact there is very little need to make assumptions once you've accepted that if it's not an experiential fact then you are probably just expressing an opinion thats not worth having.     

This is called 'emptiness' in Buddhist tradition and to achieve ability to see world in that way is pretty darn good attainment.

So I have assumptions about your person... well, I have to have them to have any conversation as without them there would be too much options to what your words could mean. It seemed to me that you are this thick skulled actualist who have no own thoughts about what self-realization is and only repeat Richard. If that is not true then good for you. Maybe I should treat you as real thinking living person, not actualist zombie ^_^

you seem to be highly focussed on 'me' as a person rather than what i'm sharing Pawel. you might benefit by looking into that. it might reveal what your strong sense of self fears most; that your body doesn't need 'you', that in fact it's intelligence is hindered by 'you' mercilessly ruling over it like instinctually defensive robot.  

BTW. You have assumptions about me too. I know that, and I even deliberately present myself in some specific way to support them to give you this nice feeling of comfort that you properly classified me in your mind, even if that is bullshit story I present to you.

Without metta,
Paweł

i have no assumptions about you Pawel. i simply read your words at face value, then you have to remind me again of what i was supposed to assume; that you were only being sarcastic. remember? besides, there is no need to make assumptions about you as it's plain as day in all the wicked webs you weave that 'you' and your magnificent attainments is where your mind is at.  

honestly Alin, you need to chill out, seriously! why are you trying to wind everyone up? Is your opinion on actual freedom worth upsetting everyone over? if your so free, surely you would recognise that your time and your "unhindered intelligence" are better off spent trying to make the world a better place somewhere rather than spent arguing and being mean to people on an internet forum
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 11:42 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 5:21 PM

b man:
honestly Alin, you need to chill out, seriously! why are you trying to wind everyone up? Is your opinion on actual freedom worth upsetting everyone over? if your so free, surely you would recognise that your time and your "unhindered intelligence" are better off spent trying to make the world a better place somewhere rather than spent arguing and being mean to people on an internet forum

i'm not twisting anyones arms to correspond with me. no one is obliged to read or reply to my posts. if everything i am saying is [to you] mere argumentation and being mean, why waste your own time corresponding with me ... for the 6th time, only to tell me i'm wasting my time? if anyone is getting wound up here they are doing it to themselves and if you don't know that yet then you have learnt nothing here. and why are you speaking for others? speak for yourself. 

an important lesson i learnt from actualism was; take responsibility for your own aggression. surely youre not asking me to help you with that by going silent? what next a burqa so youre not tempted to lose it again? 

btw i'm not sharing an opinion about actual freedom here, i'm clarifying what AF is and sharing my experiences with actualism, just as you are sharing your experiences with the dharma, except i would never have the audacity to even imagine, let alone tell someone, their time would be better spent elsewhere. 

thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 6:09 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 6:09 PM

Alin Mathews:
b man:
Alin Mathews:
Paweł K:
Dearest Alin

you seem to be highly focussed on 'me' as a person rather than what i'm sharing Pawel. you might benefit by looking into that. it might reveal what your strong sense of self fears most; that your body doesn't need 'you', that in fact it's intelligence is hindered by 'you' mercilessly ruling over it like instinctually defensive robot.  

Without metta,
Paweł

i have no assumptions about you Pawel. i simply read your words at face value, then you have to remind me again of what i was supposed to assume; that you were only being sarcastic. remember? besides, there is no need to make assumptions about you as it's plain as day in all the wicked webs you weave that 'you' and your magnificent attainments is where your mind is at.  

i'm not twisting anyones arms to correspond to me and no one is obliged to read or reply to anyones posts here. we're all adults. if everything i am saying is [to you] mere argumentation and being mean, why the heck are you still wasting your own time corresponding with me ... for the 6th time? if anyone is getting wound up they are doing it to themselves. if you don't know that yet you are learning nothing here. and why are you speaking for others, speak for yourself. 

an important lesson i learnt from actualism was; take responsibility for your own aggressions. surely youre not asking me to help you with that by remaining silent? what next a burqa so youre not tempted? 

btw i'm not sharing an opinion about actual freedom here, i'm clarifying what AF is and sharing my experiences with actualism, just as you are sharing your experiences with the dharma. and i would never have the audacity to tell you your time would be better spent someplace else.

ok, i vote troll emoticon
thumbnail
Laurel Carrington, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 6:25 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 6:25 PM

This thread needs to be split, it seems to me. 
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 11:48 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 11:48 PM

in Talking about DhO itself

re: Alin Mathews (4/19/15 3:31 PM as a reply to b man.)

Confused.

The thread here says at the top "Talking about DhO itself".

Where does "WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!!" come from in this post?

Is that from a moderator? Or can an author (in this case Alin Mathews) change the title/heading in a particular post?

btw: It did seem about time this thread got moderated -- either officially (by a moderator), or by self-moderation?
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 10:50 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 12:20 AM

Chris J Macie:
in Talking about DhO itself

re: Alin Mathews (4/19/15 3:31 PM as a reply to b man.)

Confused.

The thread here says at the top "Talking about DhO itself".

Where does "WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!!" come from in this post?

Is that from a moderator? Or can an author (in this case Alin Mathews) change the title/heading in a particular post?

btw: It did seem about time this thread got moderated -- either officially (by a moderator), or by self-moderation?

that was Pawels doing. he freaked out and changed it to WARNING: AF related offtopic inside!!!

from the kind of responses actualists are getting here it's beginning to look like we have an opportunity to learn something surprisingly unexpected 

like there be christians amongst muslims here? off with their heads! metaphorically of course. mentioned in light of the recent beheadings of 
12 Egyptian Christians Feb this year, probably hundreds undocumented and another 30 beheaded in Libya yesterday.  

but i doubt buddhists realise how counter productive and regressive their call to arms is here (their call to segregate and toll tag). to an actualist all this is the roots of an aggressive human condition poking out of the dirt.   

a glimpse of a failure to become harmless even after 2,500 years.

....wonder how long its been since christians were this intolerant 
in the name of religion.  

Rafal K, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 2:19 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 2:19 AM

Logged just to tell you Alin that I "get" your posts and their meaning is clear and simple. I'm telling this publicly (how do I write this?O_o), couse I feel like you are beeing bullied here and need some reinforcments (as if ;)). I never followed AF, but what you are saying is just a common sense, or maybe we just think alike.

Have fun,
Rafal
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 10:54 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 10:54 AM

Rafal K:
Logged just to tell you Alin that I "get" your posts and their meaning is clear and simple. I'm telling this publicly (how do I write this?O_o), couse I feel like you are beeing bullied here and need some reinforcments (as if ;)). I never followed AF, but what you are saying is just a common sense, or maybe we just think alike.

Have fun,
Rafal

thanks! support much appreciated Rafal
thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 3:20 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 3:17 AM

Alin Mathews:

there be like christians amongst muslims here! off with their heads! 

Hey Alin, like I said, just because you believe that speaking bluntly is the best for humanity, Ive gotta say that this comment is going too far. its bordering on racist and offensive. I have a lot of muslim friends and none of them have ever chopped off anyones head.

Infact I think if you look back across history, the christan crusaders probably have a far higher "head count"

you need to relax. I looked on here the other night and you were busy winding up 4 people simultaneously. So all 4 people were bullying you? Maybe, but it seems unlikely that all of those people who ive never seen get argumentative with anyone on here before suddenly all decided to start bulling you? Or maybe its that you're just going around starting trouble and picking fights with people?

I agree that this situation needs moderation. And lets look at why we have moderators - because we dont live in a world were everyone agrees and sometimes that means people disagree, and when they disagree to the point where people cease remaining civil, then someone needs to step in. We'd all like to live in a world where we could all agree to disagree from time to time without agruing but you dont seemt o want that. You appear to thrive on picking fights with people. Which is what internet trolls do.

"Internet troll(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):
a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
[3]"

The reality of this world is that you cant just go around being rude to people without expecting some kind of resistance to that. If you ever find a place where you can, then feel free to pass on that information because I'd sure like to live there. But until you find that place, you need to learn to get along with other people
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 7:10 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 7:10 AM

b man, please consider those who don't want this list contaminated by personal attacks. i'd rather focus on the topics thanks.  
thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 7:52 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 7:52 AM

Alin Mathews:
b man, please consider those who don't want this list contaminated by personal attacks. i'd rather focus on the topics thanks.  

sure, ok, how about I meet you half way -  If you start considering that people dont want your agressive, racist behaviour before posting your "topics", then I wont have anything that I feel needs to be responded to.
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 8:18 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 8:18 AM

b man:
Alin Mathews:

sure, ok, how about I meet you half way -  If you start considering that people dont want your agressive, racist behaviour before posting your "topics", then I wont have anything that I feel needs to be responded to.

i've got a better idea, how about you forget about 'me' and focus on the topics. thanks
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 1:25 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 1:20 PM

b man:
Alin Mathews:

there be like christians amongst muslims here! off with their heads! 

Hey Alin, like I said, just because you believe that speaking bluntly is the best for humanity, Ive gotta say that this comment is going too far. its bordering on racist and offensive. I have a lot of muslim friends and none of them have ever chopped off anyones head.

Infact I think if you look back across history, the christan crusaders probably have a far higher "head count"

you need to relax. I looked on here the other night and you were busy winding up 4 people simultaneously. So all 4 people were bullying you? Maybe, but it seems unlikely that all of those people who ive never seen get argumentative with anyone on here before suddenly all decided to start bulling you? Or maybe its that you're just going around starting trouble and picking fights with people?

It probably wasn't that they were bullying him. Alin's purpose for posting here is essentially to wind people up. He's had years of experience. He only came to the DhO recently, but he's been trolling the actual freedom yahoo group for way longer before then. In fact, he only started coming here after I banned him from that group.

And it appears that he's now continuing his M-O here. So keeping with the heavier-handed moderation approach of the DhO, I've banned Alin here as well. Note that normally I wouldn't ban somebody who just made the posts he has here - probably it would be some warnings first - but taking his entire trolling history into account, I think there's enough evidence to support the theory that no good will come of allowing him to keep posting here.

Claudiu, mod
Rafal K, modified 8 Years ago at 4/21/15 4:26 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/21/15 4:26 AM

Isn't winding people up an useful technique pointing exactly to what that person should investigate, becouse he/she obviously has some problem with a given subject? Beeing in a conflict is probably the best opportunity to check how are you doing on the path. I am sadden by the fact that Ali was banned, he just was showing where to investigate. Sure it wasn't a fair fight (like b man missed probably every point, he was just not ready for such confrontation), but an useful one for some others. If anyone felt as if Ali was trolling, why answearing his posts?? It's not like you are a christian beeing hold under a gun to praise allah (couldn't resist and im ok with that, noted it and send you meta right behind, so don't get hit). Maybe a path of beeing a righteous prick is so compeling?

And as for this muslim comment.. this is just laughtable. This was like a pop-culture reference showing a point(same as above - info from yday, 28 kills from peacelovers). Reality is that christianity is at war with islam and people denying it... Lenin was calling them useful idiots.

Anyway, it will be super happy land here from now on, right?

This probably should be an offtopic, sorry for writting it here, I won't mess with this thread again.

Not meant to be offensive but probably turned out to be (and is ok with that),
Rafal
thumbnail
Simon Ekstrand, modified 8 Years ago at 4/21/15 8:42 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/21/15 8:42 AM

Rafal K:
Isn't winding people up an useful technique pointing exactly to what that person should investigate, becouse he/she obviously has some problem with a given subject? Beeing in a conflict is probably the best opportunity to check how are you doing on the path. I am sadden by the fact that Ali was banned, he just was showing where to investigate.

This has been discussed here many times before. The DhO is not a platform for purposefully winding people up under the excuse of giving them "practice material". There are plenty of other places available if that's what you want.

Simon
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 4/21/15 9:04 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/21/15 9:00 AM

Rafal K:

When I first read this post from Alin, it said this, 
like there be christians amongst muslims here? off with their heads! 
And I took it as offensive, as a comparison with the Queen in Alice in Wonderland, off with their heads! And comparing DHO members with executioners, which is preposterous. EDIT, or worse cutting off DHO heads! I really did not know Alin and his meaning. EDIT Not to mention that I have friends that are Muslim and Christian and they would not kill. But, mostly, I was compassioned , as actual people died and were beheaded, and I take offense to people dishonoring the dead, especailly if any of the family members of the slain might someday find the Dhamma and read this, or perhaps some of their offspring in some future time.

But, when I came back to this thread, it was either edited, or my mind is fried, cuz now it reads like this, 
like there be christians amongst muslims here? off with their heads! metaphorically of course. mentioned in light of the recent beheadings of 12 Egyptian Christians Feb this year, probably hundreds undocumented and another 30 beheaded in Libya yesterday.  
Which, as now posted has a different meaning that, what I saw in original posting.

But, that is besides the point that the original thread was titled, Talking about DHO itself.

And, I am the fool for being baited and drawn into the whole mess.  I must practice more wisdom in these matters.
Psi
thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 4/18/15 9:13 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/18/15 7:59 AM

Alin Mathews:
yep, just seen its been added to the Wiki. I'll check that out, thanks.

so i don't blame you for imagining actualism sounds like merely shallow philosophical analysis of one's "stuff" but i can assure you it is far from the case. the reason being; to an actualist (for want of a better term) philosophies and psychologies are just more tried and failed subjective snorkling. their intent is to go deep sea diving not into pali suttas but to the root of the origins of human aggressions so as to end their nonsense permanently before they surface as more senseless merely antidotal "stuff".

you see an actualists goal is to become unconditionally harmless both to their own body and others, thus punching anything to get rid of one's aggressions or taking a long bath to feel good on before going online, is what prompted me to post. as your dharma practice suggestions (i gather you are a dharma student) are in stark contrast to an actualist's goal of unconditional freedom from any need to punch or practice anything ever again once the culprit for all human violence is totally rooted out.  
Your comparing apples and oranges here. Your comparing my current state as an unenlightened being (as a dhama student) to a final goal (of actualism). Thats apples and oranges. Im sure that there arent many of those who are at the final goal (full enlightenment) who go around punching pillows (that was only a joke by the way, for what its worth I havent ever punched a pillow!) in the same way that there wouldnt be those that punch pillows in the actualist way of doing things. 

the instinctual passions actualists are examining are the same survival passions all animals inherit, except our conceptualising brain now trivialises the subjective emotions they surface as into my "stuff" then builds whole enviromentally destructive civilizations and justifies going to war with fists and bullets and words on forums over that shallow "stuff".

so it is for the safety of the planet not just one's self serving happiness to find out what kneejerk drives motivate this complex brain's automatic responses as not doing so keeps us dangerous fighting morons.  

Sure. Suffering that is expressed in an unskillful, leads to more suffering. Which is why we are all here right, becuase we all believe that meditation and achieving enlightenment will bring us freedom from these unskillful behaviours and make our lives and the lives of those we come in contact with better.
Im pretty sure punching a pillow doesnt lead to more suffering for anyone but the pillow. To be honest, you use a lot of the language of violence, and seem quite attached to these views, and this might just be a message board thing, but your posts come across as quite agressive which is kind of ironic, considering what you are saying. 

you mentioned before that humour is just a thug in disguise? What do you mean by that? it seems like violent language again. Has violence been an issue for you in your life in someway? I found that I felt like I used to attract quite violent people and then realised at some point that I was in some way reacting to these people more than others, and in some way that was feeling like it was attracted my way. I remember when I first moved to a big city. I was in someway scared of these agressive people. They were a threat. I didnt like the way it made me feel, so without really realising I would project a threatening image back at these people. "how dare they make me feel so threatened, I'll show them that they cant hurt me!". Then after alot of meditation this insight into this behaviour became apparent. So I have tried really hard to just not act on the feelings that come up when I see someone threatening like this walking down the street towards me. Or a big gang of hooded guys hanging around on the street corner. I just walk by. And the more I dont act on these feelings, the less they present themselves.

I think, until we all reach a place of true freedom via our practice or we move to go and live in the forest away from inner city issues then humour is a wonderful tool to deal with some of these emotions that get raised in ourselves. I feel like humour is one of the most beautiful gifts we can give each other, and ourselves.  Its the lifeblood of the world along with kindness. In many cases its the thing that actually allows us to all get along, and make light of our differences. When used wrongly it can obviously be used to harm also, but skillfully used it is a wonderful thing. 
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 3:24 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/18/15 10:29 PM

to be honest b man, i'm not familiar with "suffering that is expressed in an unskillful manner" as though theres a skillful suffering?

or the logic of "Go get your anger out offline, then come here. Go to the gym, go for a long run, go take a bath, go do 1000 pushups, go have sex, go shout into a pillow and then when you are calm, come online and talk about things that matter to you in the right frame of mind." 

and the reason i didn't find it funny was not only because there is nothing in your comment to Katy indicating you were 'only joking' but because the use of humor as an antidote to human insanity doesn't make sense to me, and especially on a dharma forum. just as it doesn't make sense that mass global traumas are still going on after thousands of years of dharma.

which is why rather than using the same ol teachings till hell freezes over, psyching myself into blissful on again off again ASCs, i'm taking a different tac this time. like consciously experimenting with this brain's neurotransmitters to find out whether this body can be Actually Free of all non-actual passions that arise in the human animal as aggressive territorial desires which cause so much suffering. so far my instinctual emotional reactions have been majorly reduced and i'm a much more considerate individual for it. so this practice is looking very promising.

but hey, go ahead, crack jokes about human aggression all you want, just don't ask me to adopt your belief that that sort of humor is a necessary and wonderous thing.  

in fact b man, so much of your reasoning doesn't make sense to me on so many levels, there's no point in continuing. but thanks for the reply  

thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 6:07 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 6:07 AM

Alin Mathews:

so far my instinctual emotional reactions have been majorly reduced and i'm a much more considerate individual for it.
ive got to be honest with you, thats not the way you come across, these reply seem to be very defensive and emotional. Agressive even. 

in fact b man, so much of your reasoning doesn't make sense to me on so many levels, there's no point in continuing. 

Likewise Alin. Were obviously worlds apart from where we are coming from. For what its worth, be careful experimenting with the neurotransmitters if you are using "supplements". Ive been down this path, and its not that different from using drugs in the end. Stick to natural methods, like being clever with the foods you eat - or go the more direct route by having sex, going for a run or something :-)
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 1:29 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 12:43 PM

Alin Mathews:
b man:
Alin Mathews:

so far my instinctual emotional reactions have been majorly reduced and i'm a much more considerate individual for it.
ive got to be honest with you, thats not the way you come across, these reply seem to be very defensive and emotional. Agressive even. 
of course! my straight forward replies seem aggressive to the normal defensive human condition which does not take kindly to being spoken to matter of factly i.e. without the usual flattery and niceties. but were i to use them for what the human condition does; to manipulate each other i would be doing you and myself a great disservice. actualism has freed me from the need to censor my speech (in a dharma forum?) to win conditioned friendships and influence people. it has also freed me from the human condition's tendency to purposely offend and be offended. so many silly games are falling away. 

in fact b man, so much of your reasoning doesn't make sense to me on so many levels, there's no point in continuing. 

Likewise Alin. Were obviously worlds apart from where we are coming from. For what its worth, be careful experimenting with the neurotransmitters if you are using "supplements". Ive been down this path, and its not that different from using drugs in the end. Stick to natural methods, like being clever with the foods you eat - or go the more direct route by having sex, going for a run or something :-)
i gather you didn't read my take on the thread 'Use SSRIs at your peril' where i made it clear that that too is a path i never needed to go down. the only neurotranmitters i ever want to enhance are the well nourished one's already being used to think and type this post ... aided by the ones being permanently deactivated ... without meditating. 

all the best  
thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 1:28 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 1:28 PM

Alin Mathews:
of course! my straight forward replies seem aggressive to the normal defensive human condition which does not take kindly to being spoken to matter of factly, iow without the usual flattery and niceties. but were i to use them for what the human condition does; to manipulate each other i would be doing you and myself a great disservice. actualism has freed me from the need to censor my speech to win conditioned friendships and influence people. it has also freed me from the human condition's tendency to enjoy offending and being offended. so many games are falling away.

Ok alin, I see that you feel that being truthful is more important than not offending someone and I respect that. I tend to fall over onto the being blunt and matter of fact side of the coin myself but I have also recently become increasingly aware that my (over)confidence is sometimes taken as conceit and realised that sometimes without even meaning to be, my honesty is acutally a bit to much and bordering on being rude. This is something that I have been getting insights to in the real world, and I am not saying that you are in this category, but it feels like you believe that thats ok, and that interests me. I wonder if its essentially a culteral thing also? Ive visisted and lived in numberous other countries and this bluntness is something that Ive really seen cultural clashes with in the past. I think its also unfortunately often the case that alot is lost in translation when we type our communications in emails, forums, text messages etc. We take away body languague and facial expression which are a big part of communication. Hence the reason so many people use smilies to make up for this lack of extra  level of communication emoticon

Maybe I am misunderstaning what you are writing here, but are you saying that to be nice to each other is a manipulation and therefore a disservice? Do you mean that you value being blunt over being polite? if so, surely there is a way to be both matter of fact and polite that isnt manipulative? Or to at least be aware tihat there is value in politeness. Its a general level of respect isnt it, especially those who you dont know that well? Maybe thats just the way I have been brought up - I dont think its manipulative - infact the opposite. Its about living in a peaceful world. Thats not to say that I believe in sugar coating the truth either though, just that kindness is important, whereever possible (and I agree that we dont always achieve this as unenlightened beings, who have buttons that get pressed from time to time)

I think this is something that facinated me about Jack Kornfields work, when he writes about returning to America after  5 years in a Thai monestry, and how he realised that all his realisations about the ultimate nature of reality didnt help him with getting along with his family and friends. I.e that he was astounded when he realised that although he'd made great progress on the path, he still had a lot of issues with how he conducted himself in a skillful social way, as to live in harmony with each other. I believe that we all have to find a way to live "skillfully" as possible, not hurting people unncessesarily, and that isnt manipulative. But maybe some would argue that you are being manipulative by not telling them to their face that you think something unplesant about them, maybe this is a disservice, in that you arent giving them the truthful feedback in a way that will help them to grow. Perhaps by not telling the person on the bus that "they really should go get a shower becuase their body odour is quite offfensive" you arent helping them to realise that they need to change? But then maybe the kinder thing is to accept that they probably know they dont smell great today, and actually normally they are very hygenic but they have been caught out today by some exceptional circumstances, and so telling them they dont smell great would only compound thier feeling of woe that day. Perhaps from yoru standpoint, maybe having this woe compounded will take them to some kind of radical acceptance of not needing others approval and then they will be free? is that the thinking behind it? 

I dont have the answers to any of this by the way, and I think they are interesting questions in morality training, so I value input on this, and I think its good to discuss these things (as long as we can do so whilst remaining civil emoticon)
Alin Mathews, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 3:54 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 2:15 PM

b man:

are you saying that to be nice to each other is a manipulation and therefore a disservice? Do you mean that you value being blunt over being polite?

the actual words i used were 'niceties' used in the context of 'flattery' (or sarcasm etc) to manipulate each others feelings.

so no, i'm not a total idiot who is saying that being nice, as in: 

amiable
amicable
approachable
benevolent
benign
breezy
civil
congenial
cordial
courteous
genial
gentle etc etc etc

"is a manipulation and therefore a disservice"

i would have been banned from here by now if i were that ignorant. 

Perhaps by not telling the person on the bus that "they really should go get a shower becuase their body odour is quite offfensive" you arent helping them to realise that they need to change?

there's no emoticon for the expression this induces. actually while you were writing this post this i was editing mine, so you missed "actualism has freed me from the need to censor my speech (in a dharma forum?)" having worked out that your analogies would probably go way off base ... again. 

i handle relating to my fellow human beings with much more sensitivity towards their conditioning than i ever did before i began offloading the confusion of conditioning they still live their lives by. that said, there are times when i have to consciously reactivate old thinking patterns to respond in a way thats familiar to people, as most of their concerns no longer activate these neurons and to continue enjoying it's silence would be too inappropriate and confusing for them.  

thesedays when this mind is active it is rarely concerned with anything on a personal level. it is fascinated in education, science, politics, medicine, nature etc, how everything works as a whole. so zeroing down to personal concerns doesn't come natural anymore.

big learning curve, how to live in the world with people as they remain, while the mind changes dramatically.   

But then maybe the kinder thing is to accept that they probably know they dont smell great today, and actually normally they are very hygenic but they have been caught out today by some exceptional circumstances, and so telling them they dont smell great would only compound thier feeling of woe that day. Perhaps from yoru standpoint, maybe having this woe compounded will take them to some kind of radical acceptance of not needing others approval and then they will be free? is that the thinking behind it? 

I dont have the answers to any of this by the way, and I think they are interesting questions in morality training, so I value input on this, and I think its good to discuss these things (as long as we can do so whilst remaining civil emoticon)

when experiential facts become more important than mind made moral training, mental freedom expands temendously and most of the thinking behind your questions end and their answers no longer sought. nothing constricts free thinking like a moral mindset. nature never needed it. actualism (coming to one's senses) returns one to nature with new abilities that enhance nature's capacity to experience itself. those new abilities don't activate while old thinking rules.  
thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:10 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/19/15 4:10 PM

Alin Mathews:
there's no emoticon for the expression this induces. actually while you were writing this post this i was editing mine, so you missed "actualism has freed me from the need to censor my speech (in a dharma forum?)" having worked out that your analogies would probably go way off base ... again. 

i handle relating to my fellow human beings with much more sensitivity towards their conditioning than i ever did before i began offloading the confusion of conditioning they still live their lives by. that said, there are times when i have to consciously reactivate old thinking patterns to respond in a way thats familiar to people, as most of their concerns no longer activate these neurons and to continue enjoying it's silence would be too inappropriate and confusing for them.  

hmm, ok well seeing as you dont seem to want to play nice, then I'll just say that your comments and all come across as very patronising!
 it is fascinated in education, science, politics, medicine, nature etc, how everything works as a whole. so zeroing down to personal concerns doesn't come natural anymore. 
This sounds like its feeding your ego nicely.  Is all that knowledge actually freeing you or imprisioning you with all the opinions you now have about how the world is. 

"nothing constricts free thinking like a moral mindset" 

Unfortunately, whilst I value free thinking, I dont place its importance above the values of moral behaviour. The reality is that unless you go and live on a desert island somewhere, you need to have a certain level of morality to exist in the world peacefully with others. But thats probably just another "way off base" analogy! emoticon
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 12:57 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/20/15 12:57 PM

RE: Spilt thread - Actualism is on topic: Discuss

Alin Mathews:

Abide in the Pure Conscious Experience.

Psi

Breadcrumb