State of affairs in the dharma overground

thumbnail
Malte, modified 8 Years ago at 4/24/15 12:31 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/24/15 12:31 PM

State of affairs in the dharma overground

Just listened to buddhist geeks podcast 119 with D. Ingram.

It's from 2009.

In it, he speaks of this place, and that it's at a golden age, where really advanced practicioners aswell as beginners can co-mingle and that the exchanges taking place here are very awesome and very fruitful for the participants. If anyone has the opportunity to give voice to their opinion about it, my question is if it's still the same kind of place?

I'm contemplating engaging more seriously with this forum.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 8 Years ago at 4/24/15 12:47 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/24/15 12:45 PM

RE: State of affairs in the dharma overground

Malte:
Just listened to buddhist geeks podcast 119 with D. Ingram.

In it, he speaks of this place, and that it's at a golden age, where really advanced practicioners aswell as beginners can co-mingle and that the exchanges taking place here are very awesome and very fruitful for the participants.

It's from 2009.

If anyone has the opportunity to give voice to their opinion about it, my question is if it's still the same kind of place?

You'd have to go back and read the posts of that era in order to make a determination. That's the only way you can find out what he was talking about.

Ever heard of a condition known as anicca?
Matt, modified 8 Years ago at 4/25/15 9:09 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/24/15 1:05 PM

RE: State of affairs in the dharma overground (Answer)

This place is awesome.  It has given me the world.  There is a wealth of good information and people that can help you go from zero to 100.

There are some jokers and some historical text enthusiasts that provide a kind of practice that some people are unable to benefit from.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited for politeness.
thumbnail
Malte, modified 8 Years ago at 4/24/15 1:22 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/24/15 1:22 PM

Thank you Matthew, that's very informative and encouraging to hear actually. I'm very happy this kind of place exists and also that I have the fortune of being able to access it. Looking forward to the time ahead emoticon
thumbnail
Malte, modified 8 Years ago at 4/24/15 1:22 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/24/15 1:22 PM

Thanks Ian.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 8 Years ago at 4/25/15 4:17 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/25/15 4:17 AM

RE: State of affairs in the dharma overground (Answer)

Dear Malte,

The state of the DhO has varied by the year, month, day and moment, but today it looks pretty good to me.

What did you hope to get out of this place and how might we help with that?

Daniel
thumbnail
Malte, modified 8 Years ago at 4/25/15 12:49 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/25/15 12:49 PM

Glad to hear it seems to still be in shape. I think these kind of places for exchange are extremely important.

Personally, I'm interested in deepening my meditation practice significantly. The past few months I've been looking for traditions/practices to follow long-term and to really engage in the spiritual quest with. Not only is this for personal gain, but also to understanding the spiritual side of human experience deeper in order to integrate it with my psychological know-how (i work as a clinical psychologist) and get a fuller understanding of the human condition and paths of development and thriving. Right now I'm training in ISTDP (an intensive psychodynamic treatment model) and my hopes for the future is to learn and help develop similar tools for spiritual development. Doing research in the field of cross-fertilizing spiritual and psychological models is really a future priority for me, and that's why I want to do both fields from the bottom up. What appealed to me about MCTB (have only read the first few chapters) and this place is the matter-of-factness, what-works and honest and open approach, that's something I cherish.

What I hope to be able to add to this place is my curiosity, openness, querying nature and to add a psychological perspective to things.

Don't know about help, except engaging in honest exchange about these things, and support with regards to practice.

Breadcrumb