Announcements Announcements

DhO Hacked and Upgrade

General

ATTENTION!: It appears that our server has been hacked through this version of Liferay, meaning it is no longer secure, and so expect instability as we deal with this and attempt to upgrade to Liferay 7, which we failed to be able to do last year the last time the team attempted it, but we have no choice at this point, so bear with us as we try again. Save any long posts in a text file before posting them. You can follow me on Twitter at @danielmingram for updates if the site is down. Apologies for any complexity this causes. We will work as fast as we can. We have backups of the database, so hopefully nothing will be lost. Thanks to all helping with this complex process.

Message Boards Message Boards

Toggle
Spontaneous physical Joy?
Answer
5/6/15 11:28 AM
Hello everyone,

Background:
I am new here. I have been reading a lot, but this is my first post. I have been meditating (formally) for ~8 months now. I obviously started like most people, first fighting through the subconscience thoughts, but pushing past them. I think I have mastered stage 7 from here and I have reached the 8th stage:
http://dharmatreasure.com/wp-content/uploads/LightOnMeditationHandout.pdf

I am experiencing something that I can not explain, nor have I found a good explaination for in my travels. It didn't start until after I was meditating for about 6 months and I'm very certain it has coorilation to my practice. About my daily activities, normally when reading / researching on the topic of buddhiam or meditation, I get a spontaneous tingle up my spine that "engulfs" my entire mind & body. It almost feels like being encased in crystal, almost like pure physical joy. Like all my neurons fire in a way starting from the spine and spread out, down the arms, down the legs, up around the head. 

I can also get to a state similar to this after having meditated for a long time and truely let go... it starts out with a quick "push" into this state and I quickly fall out of it, but after a while longer (and this has only happend a few times) I can enter this state and sustain this crystalize feeling.

Thougths? Thanks in advance.
MyysticOwl

RE: Spontaneous physical Joy?
Answer
5/6/15 2:02 PM as a reply to Myystic Owl.
Really, interesting... I've just been trying to figure out what it is... Pīti? (Joy, Rapture) Jhana?

I practice just basic samatha/vipassana meditation. Focus on the breath, do it long enough, the physical stimuli fades to the background. At this point I start to dissolve the ego and merge with the breath.

I meditate to sooth the mind, I never meant to find such deep physical states. I understand these when meditating, just weird to be sitting somewhere and out of the blue feel "pulled" into your own head. When they happen spontaneously (vs meditation), I close my eyes there are multiple white lights floating. Once the feeling is gone, so are the lights. I thought it might be a nimitta, but they happen in Seconds, from the sounds the nimittas take a long time to develop and are a reflection of the mind inturrpetting the breath.

Mostly, I'm trying to map terms that are used out there with the internal experience.

Answer
5/6/15 5:01 PM as a reply to Myystic Owl.
It reminds me of something I have had all my life. Even before I started meditating. Tingling starting in the back downthe spine then moves outwards and ends in head with huge smile and some laughter. Body also shakes a little there is a need to stretch everything out. When I walk and try to experience everything in a way I also start smiling, cant help it just happens. But then there is no physical bodily experience.

Answer
5/6/15 7:42 PM as a reply to Andreas.
What is intersting is that it's always caused by reading about Buddhism / Meditation / Knowledge like some deep already knowning. It's like the subconscience is sending me a sign to pay attention. Just didn't know if that happened to anyone else. Thanks for the posts!

When reading some more on the site, I found a link to the wikipedia site for Piti... I think the small ones are Going down rapture and when I can get it to be solid it's Fulfilling rapture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%ABti
Fivefold classification
As the meditator experiences tranquillity (samatha), one of five kinds of joy (piti) will arise. These are:
  • Weak rapture only causes piloerection.
  • Short rapture evocates some thunder "from time to time".
  • Going down rapture explodes inside the body, like waves.
  • Exalting rapture "makes the body jump to the sky".
  • Fulfilling rapture seems to be a huge flood of a mountain stream.