Expect server instability for a few days

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 8 Years ago at 5/13/15 4:46 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/13/15 4:46 PM

Expect server instability for a few days

Something is going on with the connection on which the DhO server DSL runs. I am working on it with my ISP. In the meantime, expect some instability of the DhO connection for the next few days. If you are writing long posts, consider writing them in a word processing program and then just copying and pasting them so nothing is lost. I you can't get the DhO to come up, it will likely be back soon, causality willing.

Sorry for these interruptions. Hopefully this process will allow me to make the connection better over the long term.

Daniel
Overtech of the Overground
thumbnail
SeTyR ZeN, modified 8 Years ago at 5/13/15 9:15 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/13/15 9:15 PM

RE: Expect server instability for a few days

Hi Daniel, are you really hosting the DhO on a computer behind a dsl line .. at home ? hats off then, nearly nobody does that !  
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 8 Years ago at 5/14/15 12:06 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/14/15 12:06 AM

The problems and costs related to doing it the other way were many. I finally couldn't stand it anymore, bought a $2000 mac mini to run it on (500GB memory, i7 quad core, SSD drive: nice box!) and, despite being out in the country with a DSL line, I have less problems than when I was paying around $170 per month for a server elsewhere from a top Liferay server provider and in the end have saved money.

Still, the DSL line is not perfect, and I would prefer to be closer into an urban area, but it works pretty well, and the trade-offs have been worth it. I have actually looked at the costs of running fiber the last 3 miles from the large rural fiber loop to my house, but it is in the tens of thousands of dollars, and I just can't swing that, so we go along. I was actually just on the phone having that fiber conversation again today.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 8 Years ago at 5/14/15 2:39 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/14/15 2:39 PM

Sorry for the downtime today: had to get one of the DSL lines repaired, took a while.

We whould be up and running well now.
thumbnail
SeTyR ZeN, modified 8 Years ago at 5/14/15 11:42 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/14/15 11:42 PM

Running smooth here; Props up! 

yup i guess 3km digging costs some..  better invest in a third, fourth line if  needed emoticon

Breadcrumb