MCTB 1, wiki, pdf, print?

thumbnail
Malte, modified 8 Years ago at 5/21/15 6:25 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/21/15 6:25 PM

MCTB 1, wiki, pdf, print?

Hi everebody,

Soon about to dig into the MCTB. I saw MCTB 2, draft for part 1, so I figure I'll read that as far as part 1 goes.

As for the rest, I'd like to get the book in printed version, but I wonder if it differs significantly from the pdf, and the wiki version? I also wonder, of course, if the wiki or pdf versions are different enough for it to make any differance. Thank you for all help regarding this question of book versions.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 5/21/15 6:54 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/21/15 6:54 PM

RE: MCTB 1, wiki, pdf, print?

I'm pretty sure the pdf on Daniel's website is the same as the printed version.  The wiki is very shortened, I would recommend the pdf if you have the time.  Haven't read all of MCTB 2 part 1 but it looks awesome and I believe it more when I hear Jenny talking about the many improvements and such.
Derek, modified 8 Years ago at 5/21/15 7:35 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/21/15 7:35 PM

I think I splashed out on the printed book at one point. Don't have it any more. As far as I remember, it was the same as the PDF. Sometimes it's more convenient to pay for a real book rather than to read electronically.
thumbnail
PP, modified 8 Years ago at 5/22/15 6:44 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/22/15 6:44 AM

As far as I remember, the PDF is a draft version of the book. I prefer the later. 
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 6:14 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 6:14 AM

I am pretty sure the .pdf and the print book are basically the same, but it has been a while.

The wiki is currently missing some bits, but has had a few things added as well, so diverges somewhat.

D
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 8 Years ago at 5/26/15 6:28 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/26/15 6:21 AM

re: Derek Cameron (5/21/15 7:35 PM asa reply to Malte.)
"As far as I remember, it was the same as the PDF. Sometimes it's more convenient to pay for a real book rather than to read electronically."
The PDF that I found (from DhO or DMI website, forget which) isn't exactly the same. The PDF lacks the publishing info and is dated (Copyright) 2007, where the book is dated 2008, with all the publishing info, e.g. ISBN number. I didn't check page by page, but a couple of obvious differences include:
the PDF has numbering of chapters within the "Parts" (why not so in the book is puzzling);
the PDF has a more extensive index.

I suspect the text might be about the same.

If I were reading some part and had some doubt or question, I might track down and compare the passage in both versions.

I agree – for outright reading, the book is more convenient. Easier on the eyes, and one can use bookmarks and better shuffle back and forth, e.g. to the index and elsewhere, and easily back to where one started.

One important advantage of the PDF is that one can use word-search ("find" function). I've used this a couple of times to find every reference to a word or term, when trying to see how Daniel uses it in all instances (the same or perhaps in multiple senses). And to see if he uses a particular term at all.

When puzzled by some term this can help. E.g. trying to understand his use / meaning of "vibration", I tracked down all occurrences, and was able to get a clearer picture. (I.e. that it's virtually synonymous with "pulsation", which I, for one, found to be a better handle on the meaning as an experience.) – Actually, come to think of it, I did this in MCTB2, not MCTB1.

Also used it a couple of times to compare usages of terms (frequency and for shades of meaning) between MCTB1 and MCTB2.

Most people wouldn't probably wouldn’t need this kind of access. It's a scholarly kind of reading, but feeds well into my practice.
thumbnail
Malte, modified 8 Years ago at 6/2/15 6:13 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/2/15 6:13 AM

Thanks for the, as usual, extensive answers around here. I first thought no-one replied (which of course, 'no one' really did emoticon but anyways, I had email notifications turned off for this thread. Anyways, I uploaded the pdf version BUT in .mobi format (which i found on integrateddaniel.info) to my kindle account, so i can read and sync progress from computer, ipad and ihone, very handy and in this way I will always have the whole text with me and my furthest read location synced, on the go. (I really recommend this setup to others. The app is free). Anyways, it's good to hear the PDF and printed book seems to be kinda the same version, but it was surprising to hear that the wiki is shortened! I had been thinking it was more expanded and refined.

Breadcrumb