I'm getting nervous

James Christopher Ferber, modified 8 Years ago at 5/23/15 12:34 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/23/15 12:33 AM

I'm getting nervous

Freaked out and confused. Ummm... I didn't know where else to ask this question or if I'm even going to be understood here. A friend of mine is an advanced Buddhist/Tantrist. I'm 17-18 years hardcore Buddhist. I've come a long way. He's definatly noticed and been helping me with some pretty... esoteric stuff.

Recently, my friend, taught me some cool tricks. Using the defilments... I put some of these tricks to use. They worked... as advertized. I thought it a little odd I had never come across these pretty... I dunno... fundamental, obvious truths about the defilements. And it's totally possible I'm an idiot and just never paid attention to this stuff.

Tonight he explained that he's left handed. I'll say up front that I'm very much right handed. At least that's... whatever. I'm a little freaked out by this. 

I think I need to talk to somebody. I hope someone gets what I'm saying.
thumbnail
SeTyR ZeN, modified 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 12:07 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 12:07 AM

RE: I'm getting nervous

Hi James Christopher Ferber;

are you refering to this ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-hand_path_and_right-hand_path
Eva Nie, modified 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 11:42 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 11:42 AM

I think everyone eventually along the path realizes the world is not constructed in the way they previously assumed, which they realize makes lots of things possible that they had not been realized previously.  And those previous assumptions were probably like a mental bedrock of solidity that has now been stripped away.  It's scary at first!  But over time, you will get used to the knew set of assumptions that replace the old set.  We can only hope the new set of assumptions will be closer to the truth, but just in case, I think it's a good idea to relay less on assumptions over time, that way it's easer to get rid of ones you eventually realize are still a bit off.  But anyway, so at the fundamental shift in realize, it's normal to be freaked out.  You'll get over it in time so just keep reminding yourself of that!

Now as for the left hand vs right hand, assuming that the previous poster understood your meaning, I would say this, everyone has some of both, it's more an issue of which side draws you more.  What I've seen of the left hand is that those people lead restless dissatisfied lives.  Power over others is a shortlived thrill, like any of the other pleasures in life, it gets old and stale after a while.   Like a drug, over time, one would need to keep increasing the dose just to feel much of a thrill again and there's only so far you can go without it driving you slowly crazy.  IMO, that path does not lead to peace.  The left hand path if more a hedonistic path, you use others to get your shortlived thrills.  You attract followers who are excited by your power, but over time, that kind of relationship seems empty.  It's why you see most childhood successful enterntainers self destruct in their 20s or 30s, such gets old and they have no idea where to turn to have fullfilling balanced relationships or find peace, so they turn to drugs, go crazy, etc.  Around them are only vapid followers and those who want to use them for their power or take advantage of them, such is the left hand path.

The left hand path can let you get everything you ever thought you wanted, and then when you get it, you feel good for about 5 minutes and then you are dissatisfied and in turmoil again but now with much more panic because you have no idea what to do about it.  It's a deadend path.  You thought you would be all happy if you got all that stuff but now you aren't happy at all.  Look around, you will see people desperately carrying on, singing, dancing, boisterous, on the surface it looks like fun, but there is a driven desperation in their eyes, they are trying so hard to have fun doing the things society says is supposed to be fun, showing off power, drinking, dancing, sex, but none of the pleasures last long.  Those things don't give you good friends and peace within yourself.  The more you are on the left hand path, the more you are either a vapid follower or a power user collecting vapid followers, but none of those hedonistic adventures can yield more than short term pleasure. 

Sure, I do think that challenging your insecurities about life issues, like sex and whatnot can yield some new insights and give you a shortlived feeling of new liberation.  The same thing happens when you find you can have a strong effect on your environment, there is a shortlived thrill of power.  IMO, confronting fears head on is good for you if done safely.  The left hand path can be good for confronting fears but it's not the only way to get that done.  And the power thing can be exciting at first, but again, it's like a drug, drugs tease and tempt but they never fully satisfy, you will always be chasing that high and always wanting more but never fully getting it.
thumbnail
SeTyR ZeN, modified 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 7:08 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 7:08 PM

I didn't dare directly answer, because i am not sure of what James is exactly refering to; But if i follow in Eva's settings for this discussion,
i'd also say experiencing, knowing, studying mindfully both paths is important; In my experience, i found quite early (in my 20's) i was more of a trickster, both paths , all depending on situations , people involved etc.. .. and finally none of them

Today, both paths i feel are a dead-end, both having same proprieties, especially a root one : grasping
Eva Nie, modified 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 8:31 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 8:31 PM

SeTyR ZeN:

Today, both paths i feel are a dead-end, both having same proprieties, especially a root one : grasping
Hmm, well could be, I do think in the end everyone has to find their own path, I suspect it won't work if you're basically a follower of things told to you.  I suspect it requires more than that.  I also suspect the 2 paths are not nearly as different as either side would like to believe.  And as I mentioned, I think everyone has some of both paths.  On the left path, you may get all you want and then realize you are not satisfied and learn much from that.  Whereas on the right hand path, you could deny yourself much, but still deep inside want that stuff you deny yourself (ie still clinging), and then it might manifest as various things like pride, self rightous indignation, martyr complex, etc, and you might not learn as much from it as the hedonist did.  In the end, the division between two way is a mental construct of man, I don't think actual life is quite that cut and dry.       
thumbnail
SeTyR ZeN, modified 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 9:34 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/24/15 9:34 PM

yes, not that cut and dry at all ! totally agree emoticon
let's call it ... "the middle way" ?  emoticon
thumbnail
Nik, modified 8 Years ago at 6/7/15 6:19 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/7/15 6:19 PM

I'm really intrigued by your post. Do you mind elaborating?

Breadcrumb