Message Boards Message Boards

Books and Websites

The Slacker's Guide to Stream-Entry

The Slacker's Guide to Stream-Entry
Answer
5/23/15 5:49 PM
I've now gathered all my writings on meditation in one place:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y4PYM5G

The title is a nod to Tarin's rather more serious book.

You don't need to own a Kindle to read it. You can download the free Kindle reading app for Windows, Android, iPad, etc.

Amazon allows contributors to make their Kindle price zero for five days per quarter. I've asked Amazon to make mine free for the period Monday, May 25, through Friday, May 29.

I've also asked CreateSpace to make available a printed paperback, in case anyone wants one.

RE: The Slacker's Guide to Stream-Entry
Answer
5/23/15 6:40 PM as a reply to Derek.
Derek Cameron
You don't need to own a Kindle to read it. You can download the free Kindle reading app for Windows, Android, iPad, etc.

Caveat -- possibly s/w misleading.

Specifically, one cannot download on an iMac the reading app to use on an off-line Windows PC and then transfer and install on the PC via flash card; nor similarly download and transfer the ebook itself.

At least in my experience. My only internet access is on this iMac (OS 10.6.8); my real work is done off-line on a PC laptop (Windows Vista SP2). A while back, I bought an ebook (Rob Burbea's), then downloaded app for PC and iMac, installing the iMac app and getting to the ebook -- access worked, for a brief while. The next day, and thereafter no access! Eventually did a return / refund. (And even later, after listening to more Rob Burbea youtube talks, was glad to have saved the money.)

It looks to me like the whole thing (Amazon ebook marketing) tries to tie one to being on line with Amazon as much as possible, where they're no doubt data-mining your activity to the sky's limit.

But maybe that's narrow-minded (unknowing) and paranoid rant.

If any 'geek' here would show me how to get the ebook reader app, and ebooks off-line to the Windows PC from downloading on the iMac, that would be appreciated, and I would eat crow.

Answer
5/24/15 5:31 AM as a reply to CJMacie.
Hi, Chris,

I think that what you want to do is not going to be possible. When you download a Kindle book, it always asks you what device you want to read it on, so I think it has to "know" that you have the Kindle-reading app on that device. If you download the app on one device then manually transfer the app to a device that never connects to the Internet, Amazon would never know the device is a possibility.

In any case, I think you have to log in to your Amazon account when you first use the Kindle-reading app. Yesterday I installed the app on an Android tablet to read Silicon Valley Monk. Even though I download that book from Smashwords, I had to log in to my Amazon account from the Android before I could use the Kindle-reading app. That would not be possible if I never connected the Android to the Internet.

Answer
5/24/15 1:04 PM as a reply to Derek.
Awesome, thanks.  I started Silicon Valley Monk as well... and I'll begin reading yours today.

Answer
5/24/15 4:23 PM as a reply to Noah.
How are you enjoying Silicon Valley Monk so far? I think it's great. I am at the 14% mark. Reading it is like taking a trip to India, without the inconvenience of actually having to travel! Lots of interesting historical stories in there, too.

Answer
5/25/15 4:40 AM as a reply to Derek.
SVM is very well written!  I've been a Stephen Batchelor fan for awhile as well, so that makes it all the more engaging.  The first few chapters of your book are very good as well.  I'm learning a ton about the history of Christian meditative traditions, which is a big gap in my knowledge.  Thanks, all.  

Answer
5/25/15 12:24 PM as a reply to Noah.
You're welcome. If DhO has readers in the UK, the equivalent link to Amazon UK is http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y4PYM5G

Answer
5/26/15 6:38 AM as a reply to Derek.
Derek Cameron:
Hi, Chris,

I think that what you want to do is not going to be possible. When you download a Kindle book, it always asks you what device you want to read it on, so I think it has to "know" that you have the Kindle-reading app on that device. If you download the app on one device then manually transfer the app to a device that never connects to the Internet, Amazon would never know the device is a possibility.

In any case, I think you have to log in to your Amazon account when you first use the Kindle-reading app. Yesterday I installed the app on an Android tablet to read Silicon Valley Monk. Even though I download that book from Smashwords, I had to log in to my Amazon account from the Android before I could use the Kindle-reading app. That would not be possible if I never connected the Android to the Internet.

Thanks for the info Derek.

I may try with the app on the iMac machine, that's internet connected, and just live with that. There's always the option of screen-capturing each visible page / frame of text to files (.TIFF, with the utility 'Grab') that I can port to the internet-free (liberated!) PC, though it's a bother.

I also downloaded SVM from Smashwords, but it's a PDF file that I have now; doesn't need kindle.

The Amazon kindle set-up bothers me, as (as I understand it) you never really 'have' the ebook, but just access to it on-line -- an instance of the new level of "disruptive" technology coming into vogue, that one doesn't really own or have anything anymore. (The media focus on this treend noted that John Deere -- maker farm tractors and other equipment -- is trying to institute this scheme with it's customers.)

(Sorry for all the OT stuff.)

Answer
5/26/15 6:41 AM as a reply to Noah.
re: Noah S (5/25/15 4:40 AM as a reply to Derek Cameron.)
"SVM is very well written!  I've been a Stephen Batchelor fan for awhile as well, so that makes it all the more engaging."
I've gotten a lot out of reading SVM (a couple of times) even being a decidedly non-fan of Stephen Batchelor.

Looking forward to the Christian mystic stuff.

Answer
5/26/15 6:53 AM as a reply to CJMacie.
Chris J Macie:

you never really 'have' the ebook, but just access to it on-line -- an instance of the new level of "disruptive" technology coming into vogue, that one doesn't really own or have anything anymore. (The media focus on this treend noted that John Deere -- maker farm tractors and other equipment -- is trying to institute this scheme with it's customers.)

(Sorry for all the OT stuff.)
Yes, I've noticed that trend, too. You can't just buy Adobe InDesign or Acrobat Pro any more. They want you to pay a monthly fee in perpetuity. Microsoft seems to be headed that way with Office, too. And then there's this dubious business of wanting you to store your stuff in "the Cloud."

I don't have a problem with threads that go off-topic, but perhaps other people do. DhO seems to stay on-topic more than most Internet message boards.

Answer
5/26/15 7:10 AM as a reply to Derek.
The conversation about getting this ebook is interesting. Derek has decided to sell the book for a small fee on Amazon.com as opposed to making it available for free to anyone as a PDF file that is downloadable. Yet here we are talking about how to circumvent Derek's decision by violating copyright law and getting the content for free anyway.

Just observin'   emoticon

Answer
5/26/15 7:19 AM as a reply to Chris Marti.
Hi, Chris,

I'm not sure what you mean. The book is free on Amazon all this week, which is the maximum number of days they will allow it to be free.

Derek.

Answer
5/26/15 7:25 AM as a reply to Derek.
My question is why not just make the book a free download outside of Amazon's tentacles? Again, just observing. No big deal either way.

Answer
5/26/15 1:49 PM as a reply to Chris Marti.
Chris Marti:
The conversation about getting this ebook is interesting. Derek has decided to sell the book for a small fee on Amazon.com as opposed to making it available for free to anyone as a PDF file that is downloadable. Yet here we are talking about how to circumvent Derek's decision by violating copyright law and getting the content for free anyway.

Just observin'   emoticon

Where was there talk of violating copyright law? ("... in the eye of the beholder"?)

My concern focused on getting content into off-line form, as I work mainly off-line (the internet is inherently untrustworthy, anicca).

This issue is orthogonal to whether the content is free or paid for. E.g. I paid for the Rob Burbea ebook, thinking I would be able to copy it into off-line form. That's like copyright law which permits, by and large, or at least formerly, copies for the owner's own use (as in backing-up), but proscribes selling copies.

Answer
5/26/15 3:17 PM as a reply to CJMacie.
Chris J Macie:

Where was there talk of violating copyright law? ("... in the eye of the beholder"?).

Yes, that puzzled me, too. I understood that you wanted to do your reading on a machine that never connects to the Internet, for safety reasons. I do most of my browsing on Linux for precisely the same reason.

Answer
5/26/15 3:32 PM as a reply to Derek.
Might Smashwords be an option?

Here's Silicon Valley Monk with a direct download in a number of formats (epub, mobi/kindle, pdf, rtf, lrf, pdb, txt)

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/495629

Answer
5/26/15 4:08 PM as a reply to Gareth.
Gareth:
Might Smashwords be an option?

Hi, Gareth,

In order to get five free days, I had to sign a 90-day exclusive distribution agreement with Amazon. I intend to honor that commitment.

Answer
5/26/15 5:37 PM as a reply to Derek.
No worries, maybe something for once it has been out for a while, just thought I would mention it emoticon

Answer
5/26/15 6:38 PM as a reply to Derek.
Not to overdo this because it's really not that big a deal but Amazon.com's DRM (Digital Rights Management) agreement (especially for those who use the Kindle software) isn't at all the same as what applies when you buy a physical book. You are granted a very limited license to access content ONLY through Amazon's software. You can't do anything else with it:

https://www.defectivebydesign.org/amazon-kindle-swindle

I'm really suggesting the pursuit of more reader friendly options.

Answer
5/27/15 12:59 PM as a reply to Derek.
Hi Derek,

Just to get back on topic again. emoticon

I read through part of your book and I had a question about a related topic.

In the process of writing SVM, I did some background research on Ashoka's Third Council. I briefly mention this in the Day 3 chapter. One of the outcomes of the Third Council was that Ashoka sent out missionaries, the most notable were to Sri Lanka. But another destination was to the Hellanistic colonies in Ghandara (present day Pakistan). From there, it seems the practice spread to the Anatolian colonies.

Out of that movement it seems a communal meditation tradition called the Therapeutae developed, which practiced a lifestyle very similar to Therevada community life (and the word is similar) but the residents were lay. They were especially known for their healing ability (another possible root for their name, e.g. "theraputic"), much better than the common technology of the time. Philo of Alexandria wrote a book about them, called "The Contemplative Life", which mainly concerned a community that lived near Alexandria, but they had communities widespread throughout the Greek colonies and other parts of the Middle East. This link has a pretty good description of the group: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapeutae

So I'm wondering if perhaps Jesus might not have had some training at a Therapeutae center prior to taking up his ministry, especially as his healing ability is one area which the Gospels spend a lot of text on? I believe he started teaching in his early 30's like the Buddha? I know there's been a long history of questionable scholarship in this area, including a book by Nicholos Notovich claiming that Jesus went to India when he was a young man, which I find fairly improbable, since people who traveled long distances in those days were very rare and usually had a very good reason for doing it. But maybe something closer? Naturally, this is pure speculation, kind of like Stephen Batchelor's contention that the Buddha studied at Taxila in Pakistan when he was in his early 20's.

What do you think?