Practical benefits of the path and the goal?

Bames Jond, modified 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 1:25 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 1:25 AM

Practical benefits of the path and the goal?

That is to say, what are the pragmatic, day-to-day benefits of achieving arahatship as defined in MCTB?

Hopefully this is not offensive; I understand people dedicate their lives to this journey.  My question arises because I don't think I have had an A&P experience before, but have recently been getting pulsing, warm sensations in my chest and throughout my body on the out breath while practicing noting. I have been practicing for about 2 months now but I have tried meditation at various times through high school (I'm a college freshman).

I recently finished an introductory insight class and since then have read MCTB.  I get the impression that post A&P is sort of like a point of no return, and that even once one has reached arahatship (again as defined in MCTB ) there are still dark night effects present as one cycles through the nanas (correct me if I'm wrong).

Since I don't think I have passed the A&P event, and thus have yet to get plagued with the dark night, I want to be completely clear about what I am getting in to before I keep pursuing the practice; i.e. what will actually be gained from this whole enterprise should I actually get some high attainment.  What Ingram says about emotional perfection being total crap I tend to agree with, but when I think about it (maybe that's my problem heh) it seems like if I'm not improving my emotional state there isn't much point.

Thanks for your help.

"Like the little stream
Making its way
Through the mossy crevices
I, too, quietly
Turn clear and transparent"

(Ryokan poem to reward you for your trouble.)
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 4:02 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 3:51 AM

RE: Practical benefits of the path and the goal?

I think the idea is just that one's inner experience becomes easier.  Doesn't automatically change any external things, just the internal rendition of those things, moment by moment.  Life (especially college, as I know, having just barely finished it :p) still requires all the regular attributes: toughness, perspective, ingenuity, kindness, etc.

"Suffering less, noticing it more"- Bill Hamilton, read on KFD

*various edits
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 7:49 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 7:49 AM

DD DD DD:
What Ingram says about emotional perfection being total crap I tend to agree with, but when I think about it (maybe that's my problem heh) it seems like if I'm not improving my emotional state there isn't much point.

You would be improving your emotional state quite a bit.

Its just that the idea of always being 100% perfectly equniminous regardless of what is happening is not pratcially attainable according to Daniel.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 1:58 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/25/15 1:51 PM

(D Z) Dhru Val:
DD DD DD:
What Ingram says about emotional perfection being total crap I tend to agree with, but when I think about it (maybe that's my problem heh) it seems like if I'm not improving my emotional state there isn't much point.

You would be improving your emotional state quite a bit.

Its just that the idea of always being 100% perfectly equniminous regardless of what is happening is not pratcially attainable according to Daniel.

You mean, according to his present level of experience and understanding of this phenomenon.

Things can change! That is, with further maturity in the practice. Maybe not 100% but pretty damn close in terms of the cessation of the important matters of greed, hatred, and delusion.

Breadcrumb