For physiologists - new neural lymphatic system discovered

thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/11/15 10:10 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/11/15 10:07 AM

For physiologists - new neural lymphatic system discovered

http://neurosciencenews.com/lymphatic-system-brain-neurobiology-2080/

So far it's only in mice, but -

"In a discovery that overturns ydecades of textbook teaching, researchers at the University of Virginia School of medicine have determined the brain is directly connected to the immune system  by vessels previously thought not to exist"

Any bearing on esoteric physiology ?
thumbnail
The Poster Formerly Known As RyanJ, modified 8 Years ago at 6/12/15 10:20 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/12/15 10:08 PM

RE: For physiologists - new neural lymphatic system discovered

I'll give you some quantum woo stuff, basically, it was an experiment done where people hold mice that have been injected with a 100% terminal breast cancer (known from previous studies on mice), particularly skeptics of the paranormal are chosen for the study to reduce bias, and then they're told to heal the mice by visualizing them having been healed and also visualizing success they want in their personal life, and the experiment shows the mice are then healed (Which should never, ever happen given the mice strain and injection), its apperantly been done 6 times at about 3 universities? I mention it simply because trying to link these two things, perhaps they could be related.

DANGER, QUANTUM WOO IMMINANT! PUT ON YOUR TINFOIL HATS! WASH YOUR CATS! PREPARE THE LYSOL! Ehrm..Anyways,

http://www.bengstonresearch.com/content_assets/docs/JSE%20-%20The%20Effect%20of%20the%20Laying%20On%20of%20Hands%20on%20Transplanted%20Breast%20Cancer%20in%20Mice.pdf

http://www.bengstonresearch.com/research/scientific-articles

QUANTUM WOO MODE ACTIVATE! Basically, my first guess was, if the lymphatic system is associated with the brain than there is interaction between these two systems. The brain being a highly sophisticated intelligent organ, it can code the immune system. Someone can 'heal at a distance' not because they are healing the person, but because there is an informational synchronization between our two nervous systems brain regions and then information from the healer's immune system is given to the person being healed. Lets say if my immmune system knows how to fight particular disease off that yours cannot, then by using 'magic' that is, by intention sharing my immune system's response information it 'downloads' into your brain, allowing your immune system to have the proper information to direct an immune response and fight off the disease that it didn't have before. Kinda like an internet of immune systems, but you actually have to connect to the internet, so to speak.

Part of this guess is from other facts I read about the research, such as, if chemotherapy is used, it reduces the 'healing from a distance effect', which I suspect is because the chemotherapy schorches the body, so even though the information is downloaded to the person being healed, it doesn't matter because the immune system doesn't work. They also did some fMRI studies when people were doing the visualisations and when they used human subjects as receiving healing and looking for changes in the brain via fMRI. NOW DONT TAKE THESE WORDS SERIOUSLY ANYONE, PLEASE THANKS!

QUANTUM WOO MODE DEACTIVATED!

It is now safe for readers residing in the protestant rational western world to continue reading this thread.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/12/15 11:57 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/12/15 11:57 PM

...and there, boys and girls, is a terrible example of the dangers of very strong coffee.
thumbnail
The Poster Formerly Known As RyanJ, modified 8 Years ago at 6/13/15 12:59 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/13/15 12:59 AM

What's wrong with 8 cups of coffee?
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/13/15 5:09 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/13/15 5:08 AM

Those weren't rats, they were neural constructions of rats. They were raised in hard cages under harsh fluorescent lights, as solitary and emotionally denuded existance as that of the Elephant Man, by uncaring scientists (see Rat Park). Upon the warm thrill of human handling they released endocannabinoids which travelled through the newly discovered lymph ducts and concked out the cancer.
http://www.stuartmcmillen.com/comics_en/rat-park/
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 8 Years ago at 6/14/15 7:34 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/14/15 7:27 PM

"In a discovery that overturns decades of textbook teaching … the brain is directly connected to the immune system  by vessels previously thought not to exist… Any bearing on esoteric physiology ?"

Can't speak for "esoteric physiology", but this 'discovery' is a hot topic in acupuncture / classical Chinese medicine forums – i.e. some interpreting it along the lines "science has finally validated acupuncture channel theory!"

Yawn – every field has it's religious fanatics.

(My profession is practice in that field, but I understand its theoretical constructs less as literal 'scientific' fact, and more as a refined historical-cultural metaphorical system that encodes empirically verified -- sort of traditional "evidence-based-medicine" -- effective diagnostic and treatment strategies.)

In another thread on science stuff, 'germ theory' was mentioned. Western medicine studies microbiology to devise ways of disabling pathogens, which has proven s/w effective. (Hopefully they will find a way around MRSA et al.) Classical Chinese medicine makes use of an additionaly, complementary approach– how to condition, strengthen the immune system (which is traditionally understood to closely interact with mentality) to effectively defend against pathogens on it's own. That is to say, development of a disease is both a function of a "causative" agent (i.e. "germ") AND physiological susceptibility.

I've read, for instance, that in this or that epidemic 20%, 30%, 40% or whatever of people exposed actually came down with the disease. Two side to that equation: the microbe overcomes the immune system in so many cases, but what was it abou tthe rest of the population that they didn't come down with it? As a teacher back in acupuncture school put it, there are two approaches:
1) Eradicate all pathogens, and/or live in a glass-bubble shielded from them all (and eventually the slightest exposure will kill you); or
2) build a strong immune system – as a kid 'eat dirt'; work through the normal childhood diseases, etc; use life-style and methods like classical Chinese medical constitutional strengthening herbal medicines to build resistence.

In this day and age, we're witnessing a rapidly developing approach (call it 1A) of attempting to, in fact legally mandating, vaccinating away all risks. There's, however, evidence emerging that (a) this approach will result in future pandemics of auto-immune diseases (but that's good for business), and (b) the decisive motivation is less scientific evidence and more sheer greed – forced vaccinations for everything imaginable amounts to $100's of billions annually in revenues for the pharmaceutical industry. (Overtly contrived media panics to push 'flu-vaccination' in recent years has already padded their bottom-line to the tune of $10-20 billions.)
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/14/15 8:10 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/14/15 8:10 PM

Yeah that's it I should have a look on acupuncture forums, see if there's anything useful there or if they're all wooing it up. I'm fine with vaccinations, myself, although I didn't have many so maybe things have changed. Nice to not be getting smallpox.
I'd have thought it would be pretty easy to map lymph ducts onto meridians and see if they fit. But then, this illustrates that there are plenty of unknowns in the body.
Do you by any chance know why bubbling spring gets it's name ?
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 8 Years ago at 6/15/15 8:44 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/15/15 8:38 AM

re: John (6/14/15 6:10 PM as a reply to Chris J Macie.)

"I'd have thought it would be pretty easy to map lymph ducts onto meridians and see if they fit. But then, this illustrates that there are plenty of unknowns in the body."

Jeffrey Yuen's take is that the lymph system physiologically and functionally maps to what's classically called the 'Divergent' channel system, which has to do with the relationship between the outermost energetic layer, the 'wei-qi' (nervous, immune, and musculo-skeletal systems) andthe innermost layer, the 'yuan-qi' (constitutional, 8-extra channels, 7 strange organs, etc.). That is, the activity (an ddefense against) pathogens ('evil qi') attempting to jump from the surface layer directly into the deepest layer, and bypassing the middle layer of the 'ying-qi' (the qi and blood/xue of respiratory and GI activities of the daily maintenance of life). For instance, the realm of auto-immune disorders (defense mechanism attacking own-body tissues, especially 'jing'-type substances).

Jeffery notes that many of the acupuncture loci (points) associated with the Divergent Channels are found at major joints where lymph nodes are also plentiful –inguinal area, armpits, and neck, as well as the spleen (the 'pi' organ of systemic metabolism). His theory is that classical Chinese medical thinkers were expressing empirical findings that correspond to modern notions of the lymph system as the pathways and staging areas for white blood cells and other immune system agents as a line of defense relative to deep body tissues and organs.

Quite a notable theory, as it makes sense, theoretically and clinically (where the TCM textbook renditions of the Divergent, as well as most of the other 'secondary' channel systems seems makeshift and largely inscrutable).

"Do you by any chance know why bubbling spring gets it's name ?"

Not with any certainty. Check Andy Ellis's book 'Grasping the Wind', which is a compilation of alternative names for all the acupuncture points, as gleaned from umptine classical texts. (My copy of the book is packed away in a box somewhere.) Or contact, ask Andy by phone or email – Andrew Ellis, findable through his company Spring Wind Herbs, San Francisco / Berkeley.

Not that I can't imagine explanations: It's the point where the body touches the earth (at the balance point of the foot), where the water energy of the earth gets drawn into the body via the Kidney/water elemental system. And it physiologically clearly corresponds to the point LaoGong (PC-8) in the hand, where the fire (PC,Heart) energy of the body gets projected outward – both inward and outward in Taoist qigong / daoyin type exercises, and as that point where people like Bruce Lee shoot powerful rays of qi from the hands, e.g. to knock his opponents over at a distance. ;-)

Btw, How is it you know about such things?
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/15/15 8:23 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/15/15 7:46 PM

The reason I wonder about bubbling spring, Chris, is that when I practice concentration meditation I often get energy rushes from the soles of my feet, highly pleasurable and I try to cultivate it*. I've read a bit about TCM, taoism, Qi Gong etc., and seen the point on the soles of the feet and thought this must be the reason - it would be a very apt description.

*...yeah I know I'm meant to be indifferent to inner pleasure. Grant me this little vice please.

Breadcrumb