Magic Circles and the Four Kings

Jana Vasabha, modified 8 Years ago at 6/18/15 1:15 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/18/15 1:15 PM

Magic Circles and the Four Kings

This is not a very pragmatic question, but here goes. I know there are a number of serious practitioners here who are also (or, like myself, were once) steeped in the western esoteric tradition.

I am not much for syncretism or positing underlying correspondences between esoteric traditions, and yet... I’ve long been intrigued by the apparent similarity between the standard western magical circle (like that which features in the "lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram" or its derivatives) and the “Four Kings" cosmology we get glimpses of in the Pali canon. 

In the Pali texts, we often have references to the Four Kings, associated with the fours directions and the class of creatures over which they rule.

Thus, we get descriptions of the “deva-sabhā” the devas in assembly at the Sudhamma hall in Tāvatiṃsa, like this:

purimāni bhante, divasāni purimatarāni tadahuposathe pannarase vassūpanāyikāya puṇṇāya puṇṇamāya rattiyā kevalakappā ca devā tāvatiṃsā sudhammāyaṃ sabhāyaṃ sannisinnā honti sannipatitā. mahatī ca dibbaparisā samantato nisinnā hoti cattāro ca mahārājāno catuddisā nisinnā honti. puratthimāya disāya dhataraṭṭho mahārājā pacchimābhimukho nisinno hoti deve purakkhatvā; dakkhiṇāya disāya virūḷhako mahārājā uttarābhimukho nisinno hoti deve purakkhatvā; pacchimāya disāya virūpakkho mahārājā puratthābhimukho nisinno hoti deve purakkhatvā; uttarāya disāya vessavaṇo mahārājā dakkhiṇābhimukho nisinno hoti deve purakkhatvā. yadā, bhante, kevalakappā ca devā tāvatiṃsā sudhammāyaṃ sabhāyaṃ sannisinnā honti sannipatitā, mahatī ca dibbaparisā samantato nisinnā honti, cattāro ca mahārājāno catuddisā nisinnā honti, idaṃ nesaṃ hoti āsanasmiṃ.

In olden days, bhante, on the uposatha full moon night at the beginning of the rainy season, nearly all the deities of Tāvatiṃsa would assemble, seated together in the Sudhamma assembly hall. And a great divine assembly would be seated on every side, and the Four Great Kings seated in the four directions: the king Dhataraṭṭha would be seated in the east, at the head of his devas, facing west; the king Virūḷhaka would be seated in the south, at the head of his devas, facing north; the king Virūpakkha would be seated in the west, at the head of his devas, facing east; and the king Vessavaṇa would be seated in the north, at the head of his devas, facing south. When nearly all the deities of Tāvatiṃsa would assemble in the Sudhamma assembly hall, and a great divine assembly would be seated on every side, and the Four Great Kings seated in the four directions, this would be their order, with regard to sitting.

We find similar references to this order in the Āṭānāṭiya and Mahāsamaya suttas: Dhataraṭṭha, the lord (adhipati) of the gandhabbas, in the east; Virūḷhaka, the lord of the kumbhaṇḍas, in the south; Virūpakkha, the lord of the nāgas, in the west, and Vessavaṇa, the lord of the yakkhas, in the north. In the Āṭānāṭiya, verses evocative of this structure are actually given by the Four Kings to the Buddha for recitation as a charm for protection from non-material beings. In the Mahāsamaya, the kings are again described in this arrangement:

purimaṃ disaṃ dhataraṭṭho, dakkhiṇena virūḷhako.
pacchimena virūpakkho, kuvero uttaraṃ disaṃ.
cattāro te mahārājā, samantā caturo disā.
daddallamānā aṭṭhaṃsu, vane kāpilavatthave.

To the east, Dhataraṭṭha; to the south, Virūḷhaka;
to the west, Virūpakkha; to the north Kuvera ( = Vessavaṇa);
those four great kings in the four directions
stood shining brightly in the Kapilavatthu woods.

So since we’re drawing pentagrams and things these days, let me just come out and address the elephant in the room: to my eye, this is uncannily similar to the LBRP and derived structures, where a sacred space is ritually demarcated by “banishing” the negativities of a given direction with a pentagram and then invoking the being/angel in charge of that direction and his given elemental forces. Even the Pali descriptions are in fact suggestive of a circle, invariably proceeding clockwise from east. And while no elemental correspondence ever seem to be explicit in the Pali, the case can certainly be made for an affinity between gandhabbas and the air element, kumbandhas and the fire element, nāgas and the water element, and yakkhas and the earth element.

I find this remarkable. While maṇḍalas, essentially elaborate visualized magic circles (into which various deities could be invoked), became standard fare I guess in the tantric era, we are talking about the suttas here. The earliest maṇḍala-like thing we see in Buddhism is usually considered to be a description in the apadānas. Thānissaro bhikkhu has written on this. But this is way prior to that. And the similarity between the bastardized western ritual structure (god knows its origin) and the Pali structure is uncanny. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is the LBPR a modern-day āṭānāṭiya paritta? Is the āṭānāṭiya an ancient magic circle?
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 8 Years ago at 6/18/15 3:15 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/18/15 3:15 PM

RE: Magic Circles and the Four Kings

It's actually a very common thread in the suttas to use the directions in some way.  If you look at the suttas where the buddha describes the brahma viharas, for example, he says to send metta to the four direction in a certain order and the to the poles (upward and downward).  This may actually be a bit of reverse correlation, though.  It's possible the creators of western ceremonial magic rituals were influenced by this pattern, rather than creating it themselves or getting it from an ancient western society like the egyptians of the greeks. 

The four elements, for example, were from ancient indian scientific thought, and you'll find them referenced throughout the pali cannon.  The buddha suggests meditating on the elements to understand the various parts of the body and break things down into impersonal systems.  I wouldn't be suprised if there was an element that corresponded to each direction, since the indians like to be thourough with their correlations.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 8 Years ago at 6/18/15 3:56 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/18/15 3:51 PM

Jana Vasabha:
This is not a very pragmatic question, but here goes. I know there are a number of serious practitioners here who are also (or, like myself, were once) steeped in the western esoteric tradition.

I am not much for syncretism or positing underlying correspondences between esoteric traditions, and yet... I’ve long been intrigued by the apparent similarity between the standard western magical circle (like that which features in the "lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram" or its derivatives) and the “Four Kings" cosmology we get glimpses of in the Pali canon. 

In the Pali texts, we often have references to the Four Kings, associated with the fours directions and the class of creatures over which they rule.

Thus, we get descriptions of the “deva-sabhā” the devas in assembly at the Sudhamma hall in Tāvatiṃsa, like this:

purimāni bhante, divasāni purimatarāni tadahuposathe pannarase vassūpanāyikāya puṇṇāya puṇṇamāya rattiyā kevalakappā ca devā tāvatiṃsā sudhammāyaṃ sabhāyaṃ sannisinnā honti sannipatitā. mahatī ca dibbaparisā samantato nisinnā hoti cattāro ca mahārājāno catuddisā nisinnā honti. puratthimāya disāya dhataraṭṭho mahārājā pacchimābhimukho nisinno hoti deve purakkhatvā; dakkhiṇāya disāya virūḷhako mahārājā uttarābhimukho nisinno hoti deve purakkhatvā; pacchimāya disāya virūpakkho mahārājā puratthābhimukho nisinno hoti deve purakkhatvā; uttarāya disāya vessavaṇo mahārājā dakkhiṇābhimukho nisinno hoti deve purakkhatvā. yadā, bhante, kevalakappā ca devā tāvatiṃsā sudhammāyaṃ sabhāyaṃ sannisinnā honti sannipatitā, mahatī ca dibbaparisā samantato nisinnā honti, cattāro ca mahārājāno catuddisā nisinnā honti, idaṃ nesaṃ hoti āsanasmiṃ.

In olden days, bhante, on the uposatha full moon night at the beginning of the rainy season, nearly all the deities of Tāvatiṃsa would assemble, seated together in the Sudhamma assembly hall. And a great divine assembly would be seated on every side, and the Four Great Kings seated in the four directions: the king Dhataraṭṭha would be seated in the east, at the head of his devas, facing west; the king Virūḷhaka would be seated in the south, at the head of his devas, facing north; the king Virūpakkha would be seated in the west, at the head of his devas, facing east; and the king Vessavaṇa would be seated in the north, at the head of his devas, facing south. When nearly all the deities of Tāvatiṃsa would assemble in the Sudhamma assembly hall, and a great divine assembly would be seated on every side, and the Four Great Kings seated in the four directions, this would be their order, with regard to sitting.

We find similar references to this order in the Āṭānāṭiya and Mahāsamaya suttas: Dhataraṭṭha, the lord (adhipati) of the gandhabbas, in the east; Virūḷhaka, the lord of the kumbhaṇḍas, in the south; Virūpakkha, the lord of the nāgas, in the west, and Vessavaṇa, the lord of the yakkhas, in the north. In the Āṭānāṭiya, verses evocative of this structure are actually given by the Four Kings to the Buddha for recitation as a charm for protection from non-material beings. In the Mahāsamaya, the kings are again described in this arrangement:

purimaṃ disaṃ dhataraṭṭho, dakkhiṇena virūḷhako.
pacchimena virūpakkho, kuvero uttaraṃ disaṃ.
cattāro te mahārājā, samantā caturo disā.
daddallamānā aṭṭhaṃsu, vane kāpilavatthave.

To the east, Dhataraṭṭha; to the south, Virūḷhaka;
to the west, Virūpakkha; to the north Kuvera ( = Vessavaṇa);
those four great kings in the four directions
stood shining brightly in the Kapilavatthu woods.

So since we’re drawing pentagrams and things these days, let me just come out and address the elephant in the room: to my eye, this is uncannily similar to the LBRP and derived structures, where a sacred space is ritually demarcated by “banishing” the negativities of a given direction with a pentagram and then invoking the being/angel in charge of that direction and his given elemental forces. Even the Pali descriptions are in fact suggestive of a circle, invariably proceeding clockwise from east. And while no elemental correspondence ever seem to be explicit in the Pali, the case can certainly be made for an affinity between gandhabbas and the air element, kumbandhas and the fire element, nāgas and the water element, and yakkhas and the earth element.

I find this remarkable. While maṇḍalas, essentially elaborate visualized magic circles (into which various deities could be invoked), became standard fare I guess in the tantric era, we are talking about the suttas here. The earliest maṇḍala-like thing we see in Buddhism is usually considered to be a description in the apadānas. Thānissaro bhikkhu has written on this. But this is way prior to that. And the similarity between the bastardized western ritual structure (god knows its origin) and the Pali structure is uncanny. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is the LBPR a modern-day āṭānāṭiya paritta? Is the āṭānāṭiya an ancient magic circle?

Can't shed light on any of your questions. But I'd thought I'd share a Goenka story concerning directions.

Having lived in a couple of meditation centres in that tradition, I've heard some of the weird stories that hover around the mystique of the man himself. One of them is that he never had the meditation halls constructed to face the south as the devic beings in that direction aren't so nice supposedly. And the Dhamma seat where he or the assistant teachers sit facing the students in the halls is supposed to face a certain direction (obviously never south). It may also be a factor when students ask the teacher or assistant teacher which direction they should face when meditating. I've heard a high-up teacher in Australia say to a student,  paraprasing: "You can face north, east or west. It doesn't matter." He seemed to leave out south on purpose. 

Nick

Edit to cue many lurkers reading this checking the direction of their cushion. Hehe
John Wilde, modified 8 Years ago at 6/18/15 5:47 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/18/15 5:08 PM

Nikolai .:

Having lived in a couple of meditation centres in that (Goenka) tradition, I've heard some of the weird stories that hover around the mystique of the man himself. One of them is that he never had the meditation halls constructed to face the south as the devic beings in that direction aren't so nice supposedly. And the Dhamma seat where he or the assistant teachers sit facing the students in the halls is supposed to face a certain direction (obviously never south).

Heheh... maybe a premonition of the actualists coming for him ;-)

Breadcrumb