Phases ?

thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/20/15 5:12 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/20/15 5:01 AM

Phases ?

Daniel describes jhanas thusly
  • 3. Third Jhana: involves wider field of attention with center of attention
    out of phase, and has distinct phase problems in general
I don't understand the phases bit - out of phase means two or more oscillations aren't synced, what would they be in this context ? Does it just mean it's hard to perceive the wider inner-perceptual field and the centre of attention at the same time ?
I think it can't be easy to describe such things, not in English anyway, and with such variation in effects. Has such an effort to closely define inner states been done before ? I know people like John Lilly developed labels for inner states, and maybe Robert Monroe in some respect, maybe some magicians and alchemists, but so far there's no universal inner version of chemical or maths notation. Has there ?

In fact, now I think about it - does all of this inner experience count as communication and language in itself ?
Hmm....
Normally we don't think of feelings as being language, but they are certainly a communication. I guess at that preverbal or previsual level it's the language of the cells, or as some would put it a cosmic communication from the greater Mind (depending on which state). Aum ?

If it is a language then is meditation simply the act of learning the dictionary, finding what is already written, or is there any creative writing aspect ?
In my experience it's usually talked of as a journey of discovery of something hidden, rather than as a creation of something new.