Mind control vs eye control

thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/25/15 3:40 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/25/15 3:40 PM

Mind control vs eye control

Focusing on an object (candle etc)  requires, seems to me, repeated eye focus. But the point is to focus the mind not the body, so do folk try and separate eye and attention contol, or let it all mix up - or what ?
thumbnail
Drew Miller, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 2:41 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 2:41 AM

RE: Mind control vs eye control

Hey John,

I've been thinking about your question so I'll give one perspective on it.  Consciousness or "mind" is arising with the "object" (e.g. the eye) and is interdependent. No separation. Lets call the consciousness/mind/eye interconnected relationship "the percieved observer."

What is the intention of the meditation when "the percieved observer" is attending to the candle flame (e.g. object of meditation)? Generally, candle flame meditation is used as a concentration meditation or to calm and still "the perceived observer", providing stability or a stable ground to investigate phenomena or sensation for insight....if the goal is insight into the nature of phenomena/sensation. There are other goals for candle flame meditation/concentration meditations as well. 

When intending to stabilize, collect, and calm, "the perceived observer"(e.g. consciousness/mind and eye) on the "object" of meditation (e.g. candle flame), it is developing a stable, calm, still, concentrated, restful, attentional relationship with the "object" of meditation (e.g. candle flame), which is ultimately not "object" but sensation in the visual field.

This is just one take on this. Other perspectives will be useful to explore this question. I hope this is useful. 

metta,

Drew
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 3:58 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 3:58 AM

RE: Mind control vs eye control

Drew Miller:
Hey John,

I've been thinking about your question so I'll give one perspective on it.  Consciousness or "mind" is arising with the "object" (e.g. the eye) and is interdependent. No separation. Lets call the consciousness/mind/eye interconnected relationship "the percieved observer."

What is the intention of the meditation when "the percieved observer" is attending to the candle flame (e.g. object of meditation)? Generally, candle flame meditation is used as a concentration meditation or to calm and still "the perceived observer", providing stability or a stable ground to investigate phenomena or sensation for insight....if the goal is insight into the nature of phenomena/sensation. There are other goals for candle flame meditation/concentration meditations as well. 

When intending to stabilize, collect, and calm, "the perceived observer"(e.g. consciousness/mind and eye) on the "object" of meditation (e.g. candle flame), it is developing a stable, calm, still, concentrated, restful, attentional relationship with the "object" of meditation (e.g. candle flame), which is ultimately not "object" but sensation in the visual field.

This is just one take on this. Other perspectives will be useful to explore this question. I hope this is useful. 

metta,

Drew

Hi Drew, yeah that is the aim, develop stable maind, refocus attention away from mental contents and onto object. It may be that I just should change object or it's position so I don't have to fight to focus my eyes, but i was just wondering if this is common and something that goes away with practice like other things to do with bodily effort.

thanks,
John

Breadcrumb