Buddha babies

thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 12:30 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 12:30 AM

Buddha babies

If an enlightened being makes a baby, does that imply a continuation of the cycles of death and rebirth, because they are one with the baby and the birth process ?

Or, say we are dealing with a person who has no egoic sense of self anymore, has passed a point of realisation, is one with everything, but works on a farm and sees all sorts of reproduction happening all the time.

Could we say that the being is one with all the reproduction and birth and death you see on a farm. She is that pig giving birth, and that queen bee laying eggs, and those chickens mating ?

So not only is the person still involved in the birth and death process, but has become directly involved as the birth and death process of whatever birth and death is perceived - which is something of a worse position than just being responsible for your own birth and death and rebirth ?

But, having no self, the entire farm scene is devoid of self, there is no individual pig or bee, objects are not defined as seperate things ?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 2:59 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 2:56 AM

RE: Buddha babies

Paweł K:
Try finding proper reddit instead spamming DhO with tons of useless topics. It is getting annoying.

Seconded. Maybe take a break John. Have you talked about your practice somewhere? 

Nick (mod)
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 3:40 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 3:40 AM

Paweł K:
Try finding proper reddit instead spamming DhO with tons of useless topics. It is getting annoying.

Nope, not spam or useless, serious questions useful to me. Why are you annoyed ?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 3:50 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 3:50 AM

John:
Paweł K:

Nope, not spam or useless, serious questions useful to me. Why are you annoyed ?

Hi john,

Perhaps when you post multiple queries like you have today you could mention in each of them how they relate to your practice so that we can avoid Pawel getting annoyed as well as perhaps address the practice side of things more than the concepts of this and that only. 

Nick
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 4:05 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 4:05 AM

Nikolai .:
John:
Paweł K:

Hi john,

Perhaps when you post multiple queries like you have today you could mention in each of them how they relate to your practice so that we can avoid Pawel getting annoyed as well as perhaps address the practice side of things more than the concepts of this and that only. 

Nick

Nicolai,

Yeah there's got to be some other forums where I can chew this over if people want to engage. Not because someone is annoyed, necessarily, because as far as I know that's something the person themself is responsible for in buddhism, but where people have time or inclination to respond, which is either there or it isn't. But people are really smart and experienced here so it seems like a good place.

John
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 4:25 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 4:18 AM

John

Here is what happens, these are Buddha babies... It is true
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 5:02 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 5:01 AM

Paweł K:
For now it is not yet very annoying but when I login to DhO and see whole recent posts list filled with new topics then I will be really badly annoyed. I anticipate events and kindly ask you to consider my emotional wellbeing before posting more than one topic a day.
Lovely Pawel
Ah, you're testing me to see if I submit to other's anger, or can find a way for you to not be angry that isn't dependent on my actions. Do I believe in meditation enough to tell you just to go meditate on it ? Should I take responsibility for your emotions one way or another ? An interesting question - isn't it my experience that I have often wanted others to deal with my wrath ? Yet at the same time wrath seems to sometimes be useful in order to throw off other's unsociable ways ? Now I'm thinking of what Shinzen young was saying about anger - he still feels it but relates to it differently.
I always thought the point of buddhism was not to feel it any more, that it will never arise in the enlightened. I think it's a point of contention among followers of spiritual paths. Pretty confusing. Maybe I'll check out what are the buddha's (at least those that are recorded) words on anger.

John
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 5:28 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 5:28 AM

Paweł K:
For now it is not yet very annoying but when I login to DhO and see whole recent posts list filled with new topics then I will be really badly annoyed. I anticipate events and kindly ask you to consider my emotional wellbeing before posting more than one topic a day.
But the real reason you shouldn't be annoyed at me is that I'm totally gangsta.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 12:45 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 12:34 PM

Paweł K:

Are you a moderator ? I can understand if you are forced to review everything and I ask a lot of questions, it's a workload. But if not then you're not forced to pay any attention to me at all. So I don't understand.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 12:58 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 12:58 PM

Nikolai .:
Paweł K:

Seconded. Maybe take a break John. Have you talked about your practice somewhere? 

Nick (mod)
Yeah I'm wandering off topic somewhat, in a practice oriented forum. Fair point. I'm interested in where practice is supposed to take us, and what claims about the results are. Necessarily I have to weigh up what is said about the far reaches of the path, is it coherent, before I decide I want to go there. I've made mistakes before about following without thinking, or not payng attention to my own doubts. I think the practical course here is to have a read of scripture and see what the closer-to-source materials say.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 1:14 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 1:14 PM

Paweł K:
John:

DhO front page:
No threats of violence, even if metaphorical or aimed at no one in particular
Was joke.

But you raise an interesting point - given that buddhism is supposed to be giving the best tools in the universe to overcome annoyance within oneself, should one simply disregard the annoyance of others and expect them to just shut up and apply their teaching methods. I'm not convinced of this because if we liken practice to physical weight training, it would be like expecting someone to always be able to deal with any weight at any point in life. Would it really be fair to expect someone else to instantly give up their annoyance, in the name of Buddha, just because they are on a path ? Probably not. I'll have to read up on that one too. I'll do it after I clean my Ak47.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 2:10 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 2:10 PM

John:
Paweł K:
John:

DhO front page:
Was joke.

I'll do it after I clean my Ak47.

Consider this your second warning

From the front page-
The Moderators will warn and, as a second step ban posters who are absolutely not willing to respect these rules.
When in doubt, ask, "Is this helpful and conducive to clarity, wisdom, and the alleviation of suffering?"
~D (Moderator)
The Poster Formerly Known As RyanJ, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 5:14 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 5:14 PM

Hahaha

While I can see how someone would think John is being off topic, I have to say his humor and lightness adds something really missing from this place as it tends to be too serious most of the time.
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 10:24 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/26/15 10:24 PM

John:

But, having no self, the entire farm scene is devoid of self, there is no individual pig or bee, objects are not defined as seperate things ?
Imagine this if you will, Imagine you had not one of the five senses we humans have, but imagine all you were aware of was the flow of energy.  Back to the Farm Scene, At the Farm, the energy is flowing and ebbing, coalescing and changing from one area to another, from below to above, above to below, dispersing into the atmosphere, into the ground, even the stone itself, a constant merging, flowing , assembling, disassembling.  Never one piece permanent in all of this quantum energy soup.

Now, being aware of this, where exactly  is the chicken's self?  

What exactly dies here in this quantum energy soup, or is there just changes, mergings with other areas of energy?  

What exactly is born that was not already in existence?

Ride the Woo Woo Train!!  Woop Woop, All Aboard!!!

Or is it Woo Woo?

Or just Woo Hoo?

Or Reality? Who?

Anywho,

Psi
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/27/15 3:00 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/27/15 3:00 AM

Dream Walker:
John:
Paweł K:
John:

DhO front page:
Was joke.

I'll do it after I clean my Ak47.

Consider this your second warning

From the front page-
The Moderators will warn and, as a second step ban posters who are absolutely not willing to respect these rules.
When in doubt, ask, "Is this helpful and conducive to clarity, wisdom, and the alleviation of suffering?"
~D (Moderator)
OK. But you need to deal with people who profess annoyance too.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/27/15 3:28 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/27/15 3:11 AM

Psi:
John:

Imagine this if you will, Imagine you had not one of the five senses we humans have, but imagine all you were aware of was the flow of energy.  Back to the Farm Scene, At the Farm, the energy is flowing and ebbing, coalescing and changing from one area to another, from below to above, above to below, dispersing into the atmosphere, into the ground, even the stone itself, a constant merging, flowing , assembling, disassembling.  Never one piece permanent in all of this quantum energy soup.

Now, being aware of this, where exactly  is the chicken's self?  

What exactly dies here in this quantum energy soup, or is there just changes, mergings with other areas of energy?  

What exactly is born that was not already in existence?

Ride the Woo Woo Train!!  Woop Woop, All Aboard!!!

Or is it Woo Woo?

Or just Woo Hoo?

Or Reality? Who?

Anywho,

Psi

How can you even talk of a chicken in such a scenario ?
I suppose the buddhist view is that chickens are impermant manifestations, one day there will be no chickens at all.
But at the moment I think there are chickens.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 6/27/15 3:26 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/27/15 3:26 AM

The Poster Formerly Known As RyanJ:
Hahaha

While I can see how someone would think John is being off topic, I have to say his humor and lightness adds something really missing from this place as it tends to be too serious most of the time.

Oh you've done it now, set me up as opposition :-(
thumbnail
Psi, modified 8 Years ago at 6/27/15 10:09 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 6/27/15 9:50 AM

[quote=John
]How can you even talk of a chicken in such a scenario ? I suppose the buddhist view is that chickens are impermant manifestations, one day there will be no chickens at all.But at the moment I think there are chickens.

Because you asked, then I gave you a thought experiment to work it out for yourself.
 I did not say anything about the Buddha.  We were talking about chickens. Thus this is Chickenism.In a  previous moment you claimed you thought there were chickens, In the meantime, in the moments that you forgot about the chickens, did they still exist?

Psi
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 8 Years ago at 7/7/15 8:45 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/7/15 8:45 AM

Psi:
[quote=John
]How can you even talk of a chicken in such a scenario ? I suppose the buddhist view is that chickens are impermant manifestations, one day there will be no chickens at all.But at the moment I think there are chickens.

Because you asked, then I gave you a thought experiment to work it out for yourself.
 I did not say anything about the Buddha.  We were talking about chickens. Thus this is Chickenism.In a  previous moment you claimed you thought there were chickens, In the meantime, in the moments that you forgot about the chickens, did they still exist?

Psi
I'll go with no, or yes.
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 8 Years ago at 7/7/15 3:04 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/7/15 3:04 PM

This thread is a perfect expression of the absurd nature of the DhO.  Here are people who have spent a great deal of time meditating on impermanence and a lack of personal control over the events of the universe, investing themselves and their persuit with a great deal of importance, only to find they can't handle something as insignificant as a few "bad" questions (which, in fairness to john, actually seem genuine). I really think you guys are taking yourselves way too seriously.

By the way, DW, I'm going to slap everone on the forum tomorrow with my telekinesis. Feel free to ban me since I'm being threatening, lol.

Ask's self: Was this conducive to clarity, wisdom, and the alleviation of suffering?
Self answers: Of course! People can't see clearly with their heads up their asses, and the smell is sure to cause a lot of suffering. emoticon
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 8 Years ago at 7/7/15 10:26 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/7/15 10:26 PM

Paweł K:
Not Tao, you won't hurt anybody with telekinesis. Why? Because I (as God) said so.

@DW
I took away his vegan superpowers so there is now no reason to ban him ^_^

Telekinetic high five for the Scott Pilgrim reference. emoticon