Sensitivity to noise

Miguel Ladoblanco, modified 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 12:41 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 12:39 AM

Sensitivity to noise

Hi, I was wondering if any other people seem to get more sensitive to noise/talking as time goes on with the practice. I notice that I seem to have gotten quite sensitive to the near constant noise that seems to be a part of suburban California life. Traffic, loud talking, loud TVs, banging, etc. 

I have been meditating a long time. Maybe I would have become this way even if I hadn't meditated but I do suspect that there is a link. It seems that as my overall sensitivity increases, my own tolerance for the noise decreases.

I can go to a rock concert or to a sporting event. I am not talking about an absolute inability to handle loud sounds.  I am talking about just having an aversion to all of the frequent noise in day to day society (as the noise arises in the moment). I just seem to crave quiet. People are so noisy. 

Have any of you noticed anything similar in yourselves? I have become curious about that. 

Thanks. 
Mattias Wilhelm Stenberg, modified 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 9:37 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 9:37 AM

RE: Sensitivity to noise

Yes, sensitivity overall increases, and the body/mind system at times seem to be come more averse to noise and other disturbances. All it really wants is peace.
Eva Nie, modified 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 3:24 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 3:24 PM

I think they always bothered me a bit but that now I am more aware of both the noise and the effect it has on me.  Before, I was less aware of my feelings. 
Mattias Wilhelm Stenberg, modified 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 6:21 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 6:21 PM

Realize no-self asap with this technique: http://liberationunleashed.com/wp-content/uploads/Gateless_Gatecrashers.pdf

There is no "you" that is sensitive or not sensitive, but the body becomes more and more sensitive as the lies/ego are cleared from the body/mind system. The sooner you drop all the silly notions about a separate "you" doing anything, the faster you enter the flow and the world of the awakened.

Good luckk and have fun.
Matt, modified 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 6:35 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 6:35 PM

Miguel Ladoblanco:
Hi, I was wondering if any other people seem to get more sensitive to noise/talking as time goes on with the practice. I notice that I seem to have gotten quite sensitive to the near constant noise that seems to be a part of suburban California life. Traffic, loud talking, loud TVs, banging, etc. 

I have been meditating a long time. Maybe I would have become this way even if I hadn't meditated but I do suspect that there is a link. It seems that as my overall sensitivity increases, my own tolerance for the noise decreases.

I can go to a rock concert or to a sporting event. I am not talking about an absolute inability to handle loud sounds.  I am talking about just having an aversion to all of the frequent noise in day to day society (as the noise arises in the moment). I just seem to crave quiet. People are so noisy. 

Have any of you noticed anything similar in yourselves? I have become curious about that. 

Thanks. 
I have two contradictory answers: ;)

Not noise, but a 40 year old scar that I had not thought of in 39 years started hurting, stinging sometimes.  I guess it's something I've been ignoring and now I can't ignore it.

As for practice, how about trying to localize specifically the location, character, etc of the physical sensation of annoyance?  Clearly that sensations is not 'you', so if you can 'look' at it, you're less embedded in it.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 7:16 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 7:16 PM

I was definitely irritated by noise and found this helpful:

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/210/talk/9813/

It was also helpful for most other small irritations.
Miguel Ladoblanco, modified 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 10:27 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 10:26 PM

It's funny because I almost didn't ask the question because I knew that there would be the "There is no *you* to experience it" answers.

I get that point. But there is nothing wrong with asking questions in a conventional manner that presumes a me since that's the way that our language is structured. Yes I could spend a bunch of time prefacing the question with my understanding of no-self but is it really necessary?

I am not seeking a solution to the noise (I have them), I was just curious as to whether others may have experienced something similar--and some had. Question answered.

Thanks to those that responded. 
Eva Nie, modified 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 11:12 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/1/15 11:12 PM

Miguel Ladoblanco:
It's funny because I almost didn't ask the question because I knew that there would be the "There is no *you* to experience it" answers.

I get that point. But there is nothing wrong with asking questions in a conventional manner that presumes a me since that's the way that our language is structured. Yes I could spend a bunch of time prefacing the question with my understanding of no-self but is it really necessary?
Just consider it equanimity practice!  ;-P
-Eva
thumbnail
Don Merchant, modified 8 Years ago at 7/2/15 12:58 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/2/15 12:58 AM

Miguel Ladoblanco,

I have had this happen to me too, but I learned to either play something in the background like music, a fan, or my favorite - my mp3 player playing very nice, relaxing stuff while I meditate. It has helped me meditate while at work on break with all the noise. Hope this helps give you some ideas.
Mattias Wilhelm Stenberg, modified 8 Years ago at 7/2/15 12:21 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/2/15 12:21 PM

Miguel Ladoblanco:

I am not seeking a solution to the noise (I have them), I was just curious as to whether others may have experienced something similar--and some had. Question answered.

Fair enough. Sorry about suggesting investigating no-self, it just seems as a surprising amount of people on this forum and everywhere else is dodging the most fundamental of the inisghts. If there is already full recognition in your system, congratulations. emoticon
Matt, modified 8 Years ago at 7/2/15 12:26 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/2/15 12:26 PM

Miguel Ladoblanco:

I know what you mean.  This forum is explicitly about practice, which means different things in different circumstances.  The dogma (3 marks of existence) is kinda universal, hence is not a helpful practice instruction.
thumbnail
b man, modified 8 Years ago at 7/2/15 1:30 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 7/2/15 1:30 PM

yes, I think I posted about this a few weeks ago. But yeah. I have really noticed it recently since raming up my practice. Im considering leaving the city I have lived in for 10 years because I just want more peace. 

Breadcrumb