Message Boards Message Boards

Claims to Attainments

"established in the witness"

Toggle
"established in the witness"
Answer
8/6/15 12:25 PM
Hello,

I have been doing theravadan style practices for the last few years (mahasi noting, vipassana jhanas).  A few weeks ago, I started reading and applying a book from a nondual, direct path teacher, Greg Goode.

I know very little about nondual teachings other than some small attempts to do Kenneth Folk's 'three speed transmission' once in a while.  This was a very interesting read though, and I've gotten some mileage out of applying it. 

Basically, I have a different understanding of choosing and intention.  (this might change, but...) I don't feel identified with the act of choosing.  It just seems like an idea that pops up and goes away, without any directly evident causation.  there is less of a distinction between interior and exterior events though, but it isn't like 'everything is consciousness.'  i wouldn't call this a full 'nondual' state.  But there is a greater sense of ease to my day and a sort of relaxing.  I do feel more content, generally.  before, i would identify with the choosing function as long as i wasn't meditating or being very mindful and noting.

as i understand Greg Goode, this is some form of being "established in the witness."  He distinguishes between an opaque and a transparent witness though, but I don't really know where to situate myself on that spectrum. 

I feel like Greg Goode's book just clarified and reframed experiences that I was already getting with Mahasi style noting.  For instance, (1) there isn't a "me" speaking. (2) the link between 'intending' and a physical action is attenuated. (3) an occasional sense of avolition and a real sense of questioning intention/"free will". (4) an occasional, but not a continuous, sense that I was not the 'chooser'.  this was my experience before reading Goode.

I would be curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this.  are there other authors out there that I should look at?  maybe the book "consciousness speaks" by balsekar (sp)? 

maybe most importantly, how do you solidify this and develop it?

I framed this as a "claim to an attainment" so that people might be interested in reading this and commenting.  I am not going to really defend this claim.   i am mostly appreciating this nondual material for clarifying experiences i was already having.

RE: "established in the witness"
Answer
8/6/15 7:36 PM as a reply to Mike H..
Mike H.:

maybe most importantly, how do you solidify this and develop it?

In the nondual world, person-to-person transmission is much more important than in the vipassana world. The most important thing is to start hanging out with people who're more awake than you are.

Answer
8/11/15 1:53 PM as a reply to Derek.
Thanks Derek - I have heard this occasionally. 

As you might expect from a DHO user though, I am pretty comfortable with picking up information from books, etc. on my own.  If anyone has any other input it would be appreciated!

Answer
8/12/15 11:20 PM as a reply to Mike H..
You have experienced non-doership* but you're not yet established as the Witness. For that, try self-inquiry. That got me to Self-Realization.

See Ken Wilber's first article: Some Writings on Non-duality by Ken Wilber

Also my e-book has a chapter on it: My e-book/e-journal

And check out Ramana Maharshi's books and Ch'an Master Hsu Yun's writings.

*On the different insights, I wrote an article Insight Diagnosis Simplified

Answer
8/14/15 10:39 AM as a reply to An Eternal Now.
Thanks! - I may be agreeing with you.  The primary sense is of "nondoership", in a consistent and so far permanent sense.

I do have some experience of luminosity/awareness in the world around me, but it isn't as solid and persistent yet.  It is also a little evasive or subtle.  if that woudl be the 'witness' stage then i might not be there.

I will check out your links and keep on reading about the self inquiry tradition.  

overall, i am liking kenneth folk's three speed transmission.  i alternate between theravadan practices, self inquiry, and 'just sitting'.  i might not switch between practices like this long term, but it is very helpful seeing how each practice informs the other, right now.