"established in the witness"

Mike H, modified 8 Years ago at 8/6/15 12:25 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/6/15 12:24 PM

"established in the witness"

Hello,

I have been doing theravadan style practices for the last few years (mahasi noting, vipassana jhanas).  A few weeks ago, I started reading and applying a book from a nondual, direct path teacher, Greg Goode.

I know very little about nondual teachings other than some small attempts to do Kenneth Folk's 'three speed transmission' once in a while.  This was a very interesting read though, and I've gotten some mileage out of applying it. 

Basically, I have a different understanding of choosing and intention.  (this might change, but...) I don't feel identified with the act of choosing.  It just seems like an idea that pops up and goes away, without any directly evident causation.  there is less of a distinction between interior and exterior events though, but it isn't like 'everything is consciousness.'  i wouldn't call this a full 'nondual' state.  But there is a greater sense of ease to my day and a sort of relaxing.  I do feel more content, generally.  before, i would identify with the choosing function as long as i wasn't meditating or being very mindful and noting.

as i understand Greg Goode, this is some form of being "established in the witness."  He distinguishes between an opaque and a transparent witness though, but I don't really know where to situate myself on that spectrum. 

I feel like Greg Goode's book just clarified and reframed experiences that I was already getting with Mahasi style noting.  For instance, (1) there isn't a "me" speaking. (2) the link between 'intending' and a physical action is attenuated. (3) an occasional sense of avolition and a real sense of questioning intention/"free will". (4) an occasional, but not a continuous, sense that I was not the 'chooser'.  this was my experience before reading Goode.

I would be curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this.  are there other authors out there that I should look at?  maybe the book "consciousness speaks" by balsekar (sp)? 

maybe most importantly, how do you solidify this and develop it?

I framed this as a "claim to an attainment" so that people might be interested in reading this and commenting.  I am not going to really defend this claim.   i am mostly appreciating this nondual material for clarifying experiences i was already having.
Derek, modified 8 Years ago at 8/6/15 7:36 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/6/15 7:36 PM

RE: "established in the witness"

Mike H.:

maybe most importantly, how do you solidify this and develop it?

In the nondual world, person-to-person transmission is much more important than in the vipassana world. The most important thing is to start hanging out with people who're more awake than you are.
Mike H, modified 8 Years ago at 8/11/15 1:53 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/11/15 1:53 PM

Thanks Derek - I have heard this occasionally. 

As you might expect from a DHO user though, I am pretty comfortable with picking up information from books, etc. on my own.  If anyone has any other input it would be appreciated!
An Eternal Now, modified 8 Years ago at 8/12/15 11:20 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/12/15 10:09 PM

You have experienced non-doership* but you're not yet established as the Witness. For that, try self-inquiry. That got me to Self-Realization.

See Ken Wilber's first article: Some Writings on Non-duality by Ken Wilber

Also my e-book has a chapter on it: My e-book/e-journal

And check out Ramana Maharshi's books and Ch'an Master Hsu Yun's writings.

*On the different insights, I wrote an article Insight Diagnosis Simplified
Mike H, modified 8 Years ago at 8/14/15 10:39 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/14/15 10:39 AM

Thanks! - I may be agreeing with you.  The primary sense is of "nondoership", in a consistent and so far permanent sense.

I do have some experience of luminosity/awareness in the world around me, but it isn't as solid and persistent yet.  It is also a little evasive or subtle.  if that woudl be the 'witness' stage then i might not be there.

I will check out your links and keep on reading about the self inquiry tradition.  

overall, i am liking kenneth folk's three speed transmission.  i alternate between theravadan practices, self inquiry, and 'just sitting'.  i might not switch between practices like this long term, but it is very helpful seeing how each practice informs the other, right now.

Breadcrumb