Is this how sensing vibrations start?

Paul Smith, modified 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 12:49 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 12:49 PM

Is this how sensing vibrations start?

Today during my sit I experienced something new. I observed how my awarness rapidly switches between hearing in my left and right ear. I'm experiencing this fast switching of awarness for some time, but as fast as now. Is this how "vibrations" look like?  

I also have trouble with focusing on the tip of my nose. I'm constantly losing it or find it not at the very tip, which makes me try to "move" it to the tip and I feel this messes up my concentration. Sometimes I feel the tip in a completely inapropiate place -- under my eye, for example. As if my nose moved into the center of my cheek.

Any tips on how to deal with the "disappearing"/moving point of concentration?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 1:48 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 1:48 PM

RE: Is this how sensing vibrations start?

emoticon

What you're seeing, Paul, is the impermanence of your perception of those objects. It's great that you can do this. Congrats. So.... what other objects does this happen for, and when, and what is that like? Does it happen for all of your senses?

Keep going, you're definitely on the right track!
Banned For waht?, modified 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 2:33 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 2:31 PM

in my case(i think its same for everyone)

When you do any physical exercise and use your maximum force then you start to vibrate. Or push your fingers into a fist and use force, you will feel the vibrations.
Just use that same concept on subtle awareness. Watch your hand and use your awareness to induce the same feeling of using force.

The moment of now. You don't have to have a particular place for that awareness to be, but there is a problem the space in front of you is blank and solid. So you need to start cultivating purity and non-doing. You need to be able to empty the hearth from passions, to do it stop recursive automated thinking(just stay in the moment of now), thinking full aware or semi-aware thoughts is alright. But if you empty the heart(nullify the passions) then you can enter the head and do clear empty-awareness-focus and just nowown maintain it as much as you can during all your activities.

Maybe a 5+ hour mediation on that awareness then you enter a heating or cooking stage and see a vision- white balls(i.e). After that you sense readyness and then can "capture the space" and disolve it and you will feel something goes down to your body. And now you need to activate that field of awareness,- energies are going up to the head. And from now own you can discover the making vibrations faster by will skill.
Banned For waht?, modified 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 2:38 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 2:38 PM

Nose is just nose, what matters tehre is breath and breath is not just a breath, it has two ways or channels what are used for regulating breath. When you want to recieve the spirit then its through the channel connected to the eyes. Its done after the head center is activated.
Paul Smith, modified 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 11:49 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/7/15 11:29 PM

@Chris:
So I'm in 3C, correct?
I observe switching between the object of concentration, seeing nimittas, feeling parts of my body, hearing and thinking (I get involved in thinking sometimes). Yesterday hearing splitted into two channels. Sense of smell is excluded from this.

My reaction to sudden sounds also changed (even my own coughing emoticon). I'm not startled, but I feel the sound propagating (as a subtle tingling) in my body, starting from the side closest to the sound's source. The funny thing is it doesn't work when I try to invoke that feeling on purpose. My nervous system knows when I want to mess with it and doesn't respond emoticon

@Rist Ei:
I don't feel I can manage 5+ hrs sit now emoticon. You are talking about third eye activation in your second post? I'm doing 10min pranayama before meditation, but I don't feel any effects of that yet. Any tips how to speed up the process of seeing energies?

The "cooking" you mentioned rang some bells. I noticed my temperature goes up during high concentration. Once, when I overate and lay down I felt my body temperature rising significantly (from digestion I guess) and I saw some colorful visions.
Banned For waht?, modified 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 6:45 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 6:45 AM

I don't see energies either. If you would see then its not part of this process. If you see something then its wrong. 

5 hour sit can be spread out. You will get eventually to the heating, its similar to what you get when you feel embarrased or shame. 5+ hours if you would sit it with one sit. And 5 hours can be 4 or 3 hours..It can take year to that heating stage.

After heating stage you will see.

When breathing, yes you do feel effects. Basically you are looking something extra ordinary and unnatural when actually you should become natural. I don't use breathing, only when its needed, so practicing breathing separately is not part of this process. It becomes needed when it becomes needed.

breath is your subtle awareness, its different when its on other channels. Spirit is whats stays somewhere in channels. For an example you have an anxiety if you shut the lamps or not then spirit is there too you need to call it back to you.  
When spirit released in lower abdomen then it flies up towards head.

Spirit is a substance too. Its within breath and breath gets freed when you finish heating process for an example.
You can breath to the legs and free spirits too but thats later.

Take it as like an art or painting, what amazes you or what you getting out of it, or like or see- there is also your breath and spirit.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 8:25 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 8:24 AM

@Chris:
So I'm in 3C, correct?
I observe switching between the object of concentration, seeing nimittas, feeling parts of my body, hearing and thinking (I get involved in thinking sometimes). Yesterday hearing splitted into two channels. Sense of smell is excluded from this.

My reaction to sudden sounds also changed (even my own coughing 
emoticon). I'm not startled, but I feel the sound propagating (as a subtle tingling) in my body, starting from the side closest to the sound's source. The funny thing is it doesn't work when I try to invoke that feeling on purpose. My nervous system knows when I want to mess with it and doesn't respond emoticon

Yes, you are seeing more deeply the three characteristics and the nature of perception. If you plan to follow a vipassana/noting practice this is what you want to focus on. Keep exploring how perception plays out from split second to split second. See if you can sort of "screen grab" the bits and pieces of the process. What happens immediately when a loud sound occurs? Then what? And then what? Is it recognized as a sound right away? Are there moments when it's not something you can even name? What part of the process is physical and what part is mental?

In this mode of practice the idea, as I'm sure you know, is to investigate your momentary experience and see what insights arise thereby.

Have fun!
Matt, modified 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 3:04 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 8:49 AM

Paul Smith:
Today during my sit I experienced something new. I observed how my awarness rapidly switches between hearing in my left and right ear. I'm experiencing this fast switching of awarness for some time, but as fast as now. Is this how "vibrations" look like?  

My first experience of what I now call vibrations was a throbbing behind the bridge of my nose, just as if a vessel or muscle was contracting and expanding at a rate of something like 4 times per second.

Later in my practice, I'd experience a flickering of my visual sense (eyes closed), not unlike looking at light through a waterfall. I now perceive that sensations as a more generalized vibration of something behind my eyes, but it's not visual it's some other sensations.

*syntax edit*
neko, modified 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 9:02 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 9:02 AM

Hello Paul,

Paul Smith:
Is this how "vibrations" look like?  

You seem to expect vibrations to be one specific technical term for one specific thing. It isn't so in my experience. There are many different phenomena / experiences / sensations that can be called "vibrations", they appear in different stages and practices, and largely depend on the practictioner.

Either this, or I am missing something in MCTB, the Visuddhimagga or the Pali canon entirely, in which case I would be more than happy if someone pointed this out to me emoticon
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 10:17 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 10:17 AM

Yes. "Vibrations" is a word Daniel Ingram coined. I would use many other words to g along with that one, including things like flickering, buzzing, and so on.
Eva Nie, modified 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 12:48 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 12:48 PM

Chris Marti:
Yes. "Vibrations" is a word Daniel Ingram coined. I would use many other words to g along with that one, including things like flickering, buzzing, and so on.
"Vibrations" is a word that has LONG been used and much discussed in OBE/Lucid dreaming circles since the perception of which is extremely common and most that have any success also experiences the vibrations at times.  The term has been used since the 90s at least as the internet was developing, but probably even much longer than that.  People in such circles are typically quite encouraged to feel the vibrations and the perception of which can be extremely strong and dramatic for them.  It is often felt as extremely strong both in sound and feel, the experience can be amazing.  It's also experienced by some as part of sleep paralysis issues.  Daniel may have gotten the term from there.    Even skeptics can find the experience amazing and you will sometimes see them looking for 'a scientific explanation' in biology or something, because the experience can be too powerful to easily dismiss.  But from what I've read, seems like the meditation experience is typically much milder.  I usually experience it mostly as flickering in the visual field.  

-Eva
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 8 Years ago at 8/9/15 10:33 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/9/15 10:33 AM

I stand corrected. Thank you, Eva.
neko, modified 8 Years ago at 8/10/15 4:08 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/10/15 4:08 AM

Eva M Nie:

"Vibrations" is a word that has LONG been used and much discussed in OBE/Lucid dreaming circles since the perception of which is extremely common and most that have any success also experiences the vibrations at times.  The term has been used since the 90s at least as the internet was developing, but probably even much longer than that.  People in such circles are typically quite encouraged to feel the vibrations and the perception of which can be extremely strong and dramatic for them.  It is often felt as extremely strong both in sound and feel, the experience can be amazing.  It's also experienced by some as part of sleep paralysis issues.  Daniel may have gotten the term from there.  

Thanks Eva! I have been reading a bit on Lucid Dreaming, Dream Yoga and related practices recently, but I have never come across vibrations in that context. Could you point me to one source where this is discussed? I find it very interesting because I have worked on exploring the falling asleep process vipassana-style in the past, with some interesting results.
Paul Smith, modified 8 Years ago at 9/21/15 10:31 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 9/21/15 10:31 AM

Update: my experience of 'vibrations' is now more broad. For example, itches aren't solid, but vibrate with very high frequency - they appear and disapper so fast that before I was mistaking them for continous phenomena. When I speak, I feel my body vibrating - feeling is strongest in throat area (obviously), but is detectable in bones in my hands. I'm also able to feel kinetic vibrations spreading via floors, when someone walks by. I find these very neat, but then I note the excitement and laugh at myself emoticon (which I also note ;))
thumbnail
Laurel Carrington, modified 8 Years ago at 9/21/15 10:44 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 9/21/15 10:44 AM

Paul Smith:
Update: my experience of 'vibrations' is now more broad. For example, itches aren't solid, but vibrate with very high frequency - they appear and disapper so fast that before I was mistaking them for continous phenomena. When I speak, I feel my body vibrating - feeling is strongest in throat area (obviously), but is detectable in bones in my hands. I'm also able to feel kinetic vibrations spreading via floors, when someone walks by. I find these very neat, but then I note the excitement and laugh at myself emoticon (which I also note ;))

Yay! You're really cooking now. Enjoy. It comes and goes as you go up the path of insight; or else the vibrations slow down and speed up again. My all-time favorite would be Equanimity, where I'd just sit and let the vibes happen. Sometimes my teeth would get in on the act!
Pål, modified 8 Years ago at 9/21/15 3:51 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 9/21/15 3:51 PM

I wonder if "vibration" in this sense is the same phenomenon as the vibrations your supposed to feel when chanting, or "vibrating the Godnames" correctly in Golden Dawn-style ceremonial magick. Does anybody have an idea?

Breadcrumb