Message Boards Message Boards

Phenomenology

What do you see behind your eyelids?

What do you see behind your eyelids?
Answer
10/1/15 9:09 PM
There has been some discussion of people sometimes seeing a lighted area behind the eyelids.  It occurs to me that one would assume this is noticed as a change from their baseline experience.  So what is the baseline?  In a dark room with eyes closed, assuming you are not pressing your hands to your eyes to excite the nerves and assuming you aren't yet falling into sleep, what do you see normally?
-Eva

RE: What do you see behind your eyelids?
Answer
10/3/15 6:36 AM as a reply to Eva Nie.
Complex moving colors. I never see darkness. I can even see them in full daylight with eyes open but they are not as predominant. I have been this way as long as I can remember.

Sometimes they look like just static, like an old color TV not on a channel.

Sometimes they organize into swirls and swirling them is easy.

Sometimes they organize by color, such as red, blue, violet, green.

Sometimes they organized into more complex, regular patterns, geometric shapes, very intricate designs, images, repeated patterns of regular images, and other very intricate moving patterns.

When I don't have a candle handy and I want to do kasina practice I just take an eyelid color and/or image and amplify it and use that as the basis of a kasina and go from there.

Answer
10/3/15 10:40 AM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.
Daniel M. Ingram:
Complex moving colors. I never see darkness. I can even see them in full daylight with eyes open but they are not as predominant. I have been this way as long as I can remember.

Sometimes they organized into more complex, regular patterns, geometric shapes, very intricate designs, images, repeated patterns of regular images, and other very intricate moving patterns.
Geometic shapes!  That would be a trip.  I only saw such a thing once when I had a really nasty flu and fever, I could see octagons that would form and break apart.  Most of the time it's just white static and/or swirling colors for me, the same thing I see in a pitch black room. 

-Eva  

Answer
10/4/15 9:19 AM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.
Daniel M. Ingram:

When I don't have a candle handy and I want to do kasina practice I just take an eyelid color and/or image and amplify it and use that as the basis of a kasina and go from there.
This...

Answer
10/4/15 12:53 AM as a reply to Eva Nie.
This is an interesting topic.

I see static eyes open and occasionally tiny black hole looking things that pass quickly.

Eyes closed the static forms more distinc swirls. It looks like light suspended in black space. Like nebulas.

Open or closed sometimes points of light appear and vanish.

That's about it. The static came in after I started dabling in cannabis and psychedelics about 5 years ago. I think they are correlated. When it first started I would see pairs of black points that arose out of the static and faded back into it. I thought they could be repersentations of non-physical beings present but I have no idea.

Answer
10/9/15 3:18 PM as a reply to Eva Nie.
Eva M Nie:

phosphenes

http://scienceline.org/2014/12/why-do-we-see-colors-with-our-eyes-closed/

Or an occasional vision, rarely

but never this below, not really  emoticon Is it the flag moving or the wind?