"Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly

"Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Eric B 10/6/15 7:44 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly katy steger,thru11.6.15 with thanks 10/6/15 8:06 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Eric B 10/7/15 6:09 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Small Steps 10/6/15 8:20 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Daniel M. Ingram 10/10/15 11:20 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Switters 3/14/16 8:54 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Kim _ 3/14/16 10:49 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Switters 3/15/16 10:06 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Kim _ 4/14/16 5:20 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Eric B 4/15/16 3:31 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Don Merchant 4/19/16 12:29 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Eric B 4/19/16 2:14 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Don Merchant 4/20/16 1:50 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Switters 4/21/16 8:44 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Eric B 4/21/16 12:13 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Eric B 6/1/16 3:31 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly This very moment 8/28/17 6:50 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Stirling Campbell 8/30/17 6:12 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Sam Gentile 6/28/20 3:06 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Pepe · 6/28/20 5:12 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly This very moment 6/28/20 5:39 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Eric B 6/28/20 5:41 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Sam Gentile 6/29/20 11:18 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Eric B 6/29/20 11:45 AM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Sam Gentile 6/29/20 12:20 PM
RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly Eric B 6/29/20 1:27 PM
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 8 Years ago at 10/6/15 7:44 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/6/15 7:43 PM

"Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly

"Shift into Freedom:  The Science and Practice of Open-Hearted Awareness" by Loch Kelly

I had been meaning to post about and had not gotten around to it, but two other threads here inspired me to to do so.  The first was Small Steps' practice log where he mentioned it.  The other was Switter's thread Shamatha-Vipashyana : The Mahamudra View of Chogyam Trungpa, which while not mentioning the book, the tenor of recent posts certainly brought the book to mind for me. 

Has anyone else here checked this out yet?  Here’s my summation:

The book contains 31 (give or take) exercises, or “glimpses” as he calls them.  These exercises come in a variety of formats.  Some are awareness exercises, feeling into or from awareness.  Others are more of a pointing out of awareness.  Some are structured more akin to traditional meditation practices, but are rarely taught in the west; an example of this the King of Samadhi practice (of Samadhiraja Sutra fame).  He advocates doing small glimpses many times. I’ve found stringing together a number of these exercises in a row is a potent and effective protocol.  With a little bit of practice you can do them just about anywhere.

The book isn’t just these glimpse exercises though.  Loch situates the practices within the context of contemporary psychology, neuroscience and contemplative traditions.  The book is, in effect, the operating instructions, user guide and text book for the glimpses (OK, I come close to plagiarism here: I’ve heard Loch himself say the book is the user manual for the glimpses on the CD).  Many of these glimpses are based on Mahamudra techniques that are usually only taught as advanced practices, but are nonetheless highly effective for laypersons who have not undergone various preliminary practices.  Loch was a student of Tulku Urgyen, and was authorized by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche to teach Sutra Mahamudra. He is also authorized to teach by Adyashanti.

Over the past couple of years, I have had the good fortune to have practiced in person with Loch, in settings from a couple of hours to a five day retreat, and can personally attest to the efficacy of these techniques. These are among the very few things I have done in the past ten years that have been of any substantial significant non-transitory benefit.

There is also a separate companion audio CD that contains the glimpses that lend themselves nicely to sorting into smart phone playlists (these work well on public transportation too).

thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 8 Years ago at 10/6/15 8:06 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/6/15 8:06 PM

RE: "Shift into Freedom" by Loch Kelly

Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

I am looking forward to when he makes himself known publically again and shares what he's learning.
Small Steps, modified 8 Years ago at 10/6/15 8:20 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/6/15 8:20 PM

I'm about half way through and really enjoying Kelly's book. The glimpses, as Eric mentioned, are in some cases very simple yet deeply profound. When your practice calls for a deeper understanding of awareness, how to locate it, how to abide in it, and how to sustain a sense of it, this book will be a real boon.

My exposure to Dzogchen and Mahamudra is very limited, so I can't say how much of these exercises the author is simply re-transmitting. Nevertheless, the way he's structured and imparted his understanding of it is truly beneficial.
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 8 Years ago at 10/7/15 6:09 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/7/15 6:09 PM

katy steger,thru10.7.15 with thanks:
Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

I am looking forward to when he makes himself known publically again and shares what he's learning.
Back at the end of July when I was at the Omega Institute on retreat, Loch told me that at that point in time, it had been just about 3 years since Mingyur Rinpoche had gone off on his own, and some were guessing Mingyur Rinpoche might soon return if he chose to make his wandering the same length as the Kagyu 3 year or 3 year 3 month retreat.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 8 Years ago at 10/10/15 11:20 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/10/15 11:20 AM

I really need to check out his work. I met Loch at Omege institute this summer and he was a very nice, smart guy who seemed to have a hefth helping of insight and wisdom. Thanks for the reminder.
thumbnail
Switters, modified 8 Years ago at 3/14/16 8:54 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/14/16 8:54 AM

After reading your post I picked up a copy of his book - will be getting into it later on.

Thanks for the reccomendation. 

PS: glad you liked the CTR stuff Eric.
thumbnail
Kim _, modified 8 Years ago at 3/14/16 10:49 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/14/16 10:49 AM

I see this thread was started a while ago but...

I think Loch is one of the very few who really manages to pass on to-the-core-practices and is able to explain awareness practices in a way that is easy to understand. I liked his book, and read it almost cover to cover. There could be slightly more emphasis on insight but that could be just a matter of taste. He's one of the teachers who I think are really helpful.

There are also many YouTube-videos of him, interviews and workshop-clips worth checking out.
thumbnail
Switters, modified 8 Years ago at 3/15/16 10:06 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/15/16 10:04 AM

Kim Katami

....There are also many YouTube-videos of him, interviews and workshop-clips worth checking out.

Just been watching this clip in which Loch basically gives pointing-out, as far as I can tell, although doesn't put it in the usual mahamudra temrinology. Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/143916105
thumbnail
Kim _, modified 7 Years ago at 4/14/16 5:20 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/14/16 5:20 AM

Switters
Kim Katami

....There are also many YouTube-videos of him, interviews and workshop-clips worth checking out.

Just been watching this clip in which Loch basically gives pointing-out, as far as I can tell, although doesn't put it in the usual mahamudra temrinology. Enjoy.

Direct quote from Loch:

"I have studied and practiced Mingyur, Tulku Urgyen, Tsoknyi and read the classics and have tried to translate these teachings into the contemporary forms I share.  I have been asked to teach Sutra Mahamudra by Mingyur many years ago and so I  do feel that I get most everything they are pointing to and so I trying to convey but I try to update them where the practices at times seem archaic and too formal and miss the how-to pieces which I try to fill in in different ways."

thumbnail
Eric B, modified 7 Years ago at 4/15/16 3:31 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/15/16 3:31 PM

I was just on retreat with Loch this past weekend at the Garrison Institite.  Here is a link to one of his recent recent videos you may not have seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Kd-JmmQ4Q.
thumbnail
Don Merchant, modified 7 Years ago at 4/19/16 12:29 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/19/16 12:28 AM

Eric, thank you for this thread. I searched out the book and downloaded a pdf from one of the stores so I could read it soon.
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 7 Years ago at 4/19/16 2:14 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/19/16 2:14 PM

The book is really great.  I've gotten a lot out of the glimpse exercises.
thumbnail
Don Merchant, modified 7 Years ago at 4/20/16 1:50 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/20/16 1:50 AM

Eric,
Cool, looking forward to reading the book soon. I am already reading 3 or 4 books, so it may be a week or two before I get to it. Looking to learn a few more things for practices. Both on and off the cushions.
thumbnail
Switters, modified 7 Years ago at 4/21/16 8:44 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/21/16 8:42 AM

Eric B:

So I've been working with the glimpses (from the audio) since my last post and I've got a lot out of them. I've recently begun working with a teacher authorised to teach mahamudra/dogzchen and their approach really links in well with these 'glimpse' practices from Loch Kelly. I've found them particularly useful before doing my usual formless meditation.  Sometimes I will use some of the somatic protocols of Reggie Ray, and sometimes I will use one of Loch's glimpse practcies, and use those as gates to linking into awareness. As well as using them to set up my sitting practice, I've found it useful having one of the glimpse practices in mind and applying it throughout the day as Loch suggests.

Interestingly (for some) the glimpse called 'all parts welcome' is kind of similar to Reggie's 'somatic descent', where you're inquiring, almost like a dialogue with your body/'soma'. Reggie and Loch (both being modern mahamudra taught teachers for any who don't know, I'm sure you all do), both mention the need to love all the traumatised parts of oursleves that might surface. I was never one to be too interested in the psychological  side of practice per se but following these teachings I can't help but see how they seem to match up to reality testing and seem to have been of benefit.

I intend to continue working with the these glimpses as 'enhancements' for my main practice.

How was the retreat Eric?

Kim Katami:
Switters
Kim Katami

Direct quote from Loch:

"I have studied and practiced Mingyur, Tulku Urgyen, Tsoknyi and read the classics and have tried to translate these teachings into the contemporary forms I share.  I have been asked to teach Sutra Mahamudra by Mingyur many years ago and so I  do feel that I get most everything they are pointing to and so I trying to convey but I try to update them where the practices at times seem archaic and too formal and miss the how-to pieces which I try to fill in in different ways."

Thanks for the quote - makes perfect sense emoticon
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 7 Years ago at 4/21/16 12:13 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/21/16 12:13 PM

Switters:
Eric B:

So I've been working with the glimpses (from the audio) since my last post and I've got a lot out of them. I've recently begun working with a teacher authorised to teach mahamudra/dogzchen and their approach really links in well with these 'glimpse' practices from Loch Kelly. I've found them particularly useful before doing my usual formless meditation.  Sometimes I will use some of the somatic protocols of Reggie Ray, and sometimes I will use one of Loch's glimpse practcies, and use those as gates to linking into awareness. As well as using them to set up my sitting practice, I've found it useful having one of the glimpse practices in mind and applying it throughout the day as Loch suggests.

Interestingly (for some) the glimpse called 'all parts welcome' is kind of similar to Reggie's 'somatic descent', where you're inquiring, almost like a dialogue with your body/'soma'. Reggie and Loch (both being modern mahamudra taught teachers for any who don't know, I'm sure you all do), both mention the need to love all the traumatised parts of oursleves that might surface. I was never one to be too interested in the psychological  side of practice per se but following these teachings I can't help but see how they seem to match up to reality testing and seem to have been of benefit.

I intend to continue working with the these glimpses as 'enhancements' for my main practice.

How was the retreat Eric?
It sounds like you're integrating Loch's glimpses with existing practices to good effect.  Similarly, I've been working with Dzogchen teacher Jackson Peterson, and have found Loch's glimpses mesh well with the dzogchen stuff as well.

The retreat was great.  It was only for one weekend.  The format is quite different from that of the Buddhist retreats we are familiar with.  It is the glimpses in a group setting with some discussion and pointing out.  Locjh's doing a retreat at the Omega Institute over the Memorial Day weekend.
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 7 Years ago at 6/1/16 3:31 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/1/16 3:31 PM

Here's a new video from Loch Kelly:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW33mNmcG14
thumbnail
This very moment, modified 6 Years ago at 8/28/17 6:50 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/28/17 6:50 PM

I have been enjoying the glimpse exercises.  It is possible to live from open hearted awareness for most waking moments and when I fall out of it, It is not difficult to return, even on a busy day in the office seeing patients.  At first,  I thought that this was some kind of parlor trick but it is not. 
My knock on the book and Loch is that he has a tough time being coherent and organized in his approach.  The book just jumps around a lot.  I have listened to him in his interviews and he is very similar.  The understanding and insight is there but it doesn't always translate easily.  This is my first introduction to non-dual glimpse practice and it is very exciting. 
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 6 Years ago at 8/30/17 6:12 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/30/17 6:12 PM

I watched a number of Loch Kelly videos and found him sort of annoying... then dowloaded a podcast interview, and actually had a minor shift in listening to one of his predigested Dzogchen exercises - one I am actually familiar with. 

I bought his audio exercises CD, as I'm pretty sure this was always the path that would bear fruit anyway. : )

He is still annoying though.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/28/20 3:06 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/28/20 3:06 PM

Stirling Campbe:
I watched a number of Loch Kelly videos and found him sort of annoying... then dowloaded a podcast interview, and actually had a minor shift in listening to one of his predigested Dzogchen exercises - one I am actually familiar with. 

I bought his audio exercises CD, as I'm pretty sure this was always the path that would bear fruit anyway. : )

Is there a thread for his newer book Effortless Awareness? Unlike this books, it doesn't come with a CD of the glimpses. I have searched his site and the whole Internet and can't find the glimpses. Has anyone read the new book? Or do you recomend  as a beginner to his work Shift Into Freedom first? Thanks
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 3 Years ago at 6/28/20 5:12 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/28/20 5:12 PM

Shift into Freedom has 31 glimpses/exercises. It's just USD 0.99 the Kindle version in Amazon so go for it! Very interesting stuff when I first read it, but way beyond my level of understanding. Perhaps your earlier background will help you to digest the teachings. 
thumbnail
This very moment, modified 3 Years ago at 6/28/20 5:39 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/28/20 5:39 PM

Sam Gentile:
Stirling Campbe:

Is there a thread for his newer book Effortless Awareness? Unlike this books, it doesn't come with a CD of the glimpses. I have searched his site and the whole Internet and can't find the glimpses. Has anyone read the new book? Or do you recomend  as a beginner to his work Shift Into Freedom first? Thanks

I can't believe it has been three years since I read Shift into Freedom.  This was my first entry point into non-duality and not the one that was to bear the most fruit.  Headless way, Michael Taft, and several other funky Advaita teachers really kicked open the door of anatta.  FWIW there is more than enough to get into with the glimpse practices of Shift into Freedom.  I have " The way of Effortless Mindfulness ( new book ) " and audio program " Effortless mindfullness now " By and large, the most valuable thing he has is the Shift into Freedom exercise CD that you can purchase.  I bought his new book and audio book thinking that there would be all new glimpses and there are a few, but there is a lot of repetition.  The new book has some "trouble shooting tips" at the end, but overall, nothing really new that jumped out at me.  My feeling is that he has run out of ideas and is just repackaging things because he had a commitment to a publisher.  He also started being represented by a new age marketing company that started promoting his seminars and I was getting lots of spam.  Don't get me wrong, I think he has made a valuable contribution, but I would like to see some others come along and secularlize Mahamudra with a bit more clarity and depth. 
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 3 Years ago at 6/28/20 5:41 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/28/20 5:41 PM

Neither of the two books, "Shift into Freedom" and "The Way of Effortless Mindfulness", comes with a CD.

"Shift into Freedom" is one book and two CDs which are sold separately. One of the CDs is an audio book version of the book. The other CD is just the glimpse practices in audio form that are contained in the book. Loch once said that the book was akin to the users manual for the glimpses on the CD.  The glimpses on the CD can certainly be used alone without the book, but the book is well worthwhile.

There is another audio program (CD) that came out in between "Shift into Freedom" and "The Way of Effortless Mindfulness" called "Effortless Mindfulness Now", consisting of four "sessions" with a total running time of four hours twenty-six minutes.  These are longer and are based on some of what he does in live sessions.  I wrote a review of this over on the Sounds True website that fleshes it out more.

"The Way of Effortless Mindfulness" can be read with out reading "Shift into Freedom" first. "The Way of Effortless Mindfulness" does not have a separate audio CD containing its glimpses. "The Way of Effortless Mindfulness" is well worth it too; it's not a rehash of "Shift into Freedom".
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/29/20 11:18 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/29/20 11:18 AM

Eric B:
Neither of the two books, "Shift into Freedom" and "The Way of Effortless Mindfulness", comes with a CD.

"Shift into Freedom" is one book and two CDs which are sold separately. One of the CDs is an audio book version of the book. The other CD is just the glimpse practices in audio form that are contained in the book. Loch once said that the book was akin to the users manual for the glimpses on the CD.  The glimpses on the CD can certainly be used alone without the book, but the book is well worthwhile.

There is another audio program (CD) that came out in between "Shift into Freedom" and "The Way of Effortless Mindfulness" called "Effortless Mindfulness Now", consisting of four "sessions" with a total running time of four hours twenty-six minutes.  These are longer and are based on some of what he does in live sessions.  I wrote a review of this over on the Sounds True website that fleshes it out more.

"The Way of Effortless Mindfulness" can be read with out reading "Shift into Freedom" first. "The Way of Effortless Mindfulness" does not have a separate audio CD containing its glimpses. "The Way of Effortless Mindfulness" is well worth it too; it's not a rehash of "Shift into Freedom".
Thanks Eric. In these days who still has a CD player? Do you know if the glimpses are available in stream format to be downloaded? 
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 3 Years ago at 6/29/20 11:45 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/29/20 11:45 AM

Sam Gentile:
[quote=Thanks Eric. In these days who still has a CD player? Do you know if the glimpses are available in stream format to be downloaded? 
]
A good point about the CD player.  The last two of these CDs I attempted to gift were to people who didn't have a CD player.  I think you can buy the glimpses as audio files from the Sounds True website.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/29/20 12:20 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/29/20 12:20 PM

Eric,

Sorry to bother you again. I see both the book and the audio cd as downloads on Sounds True site. Do you know where the gimpses are?
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 3 Years ago at 6/29/20 1:27 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/29/20 1:27 PM

Sam Gentile:
Eric,

Sorry to bother you again. I see both the book and the audio cd as downloads on Sounds True site. Do you know where the gimpses are?

The book and it corresponding audio book will have the subtitle "The Science and Practice of Open-Hearted Awareness". 
The glimpses in audio form will have the subtitle "A Training in the Science and Practice of Open-Hearted Awareness". There is also an option to purchase CE credits on the Sounds True website that uses the same subtitle as the glimpses.  The Sounds True website does a lousy job of clearly diffferentiating among the various flavors.

Breadcrumb