Looking for places to practice in Burma/South East Asia

zohar, modified 8 Years ago at 10/20/15 10:06 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/20/15 10:06 PM

Looking for places to practice in Burma/South East Asia

Hi

I’m interested in practicing in Burma (or perhaps anywhere in South East Aisa) for a longer period of time and am looking for some pointers and advice in my meditation journey.

I’ve been practising Insight Meditation for the past 6 years and have gone to various retreats at IMS and Gaia House in England. For quite a few years I’ve had a deep intention to dedicate about a year of my life to full time continuous contemplative practice, and I currently have the opportunity to do so - so am quite excited.

I don't have any interest in making a dash for particular meditative experiences or chasing jhanas, more just looking to deepen my practice of presence and awareness.

I've become interested in the teachings of Sayadaw U Tejaniya and have been looking at staying in Shwe Oo Min, his monastery. I have also been considering temporary ordination as a way of supporting my practice during that time. So I'm reaching out to people who have experience on this path as I have a few questions that I was hoping you may be able to help me with.

Is possible for me to spend a year of continuous practice at Shwe Oo Min? I have seen conflicting information about this and have had a little difficulty getting in touch with them.

Or do you know of any other places or monasteries which may be of interest to me? I’m interested in the Theravada tradition, however, am more inclined towards practices which emphasizes awareness as well as concentration. I find a slightly more relaxed style than the traditional Mahasi approach is most supportive for my practice (though I have much respect for that style).

Thanks, any tips or info you have would  be really appreciated!

Breadcrumb