Rob Burbea

thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 10/21/15 8:10 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/21/15 8:10 AM

Rob Burbea

http://www.robburbea.com/

I guess I was completely out of the loop. Unfortunately Rob is fighting cancer but he appears to be recovering. People are leaving their thoughts with him.

thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 10/21/15 12:27 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/21/15 12:27 PM

RE: Rob Burbea

So I think we should do a thought experiment and pledge to send Rob good vibes/prayer/positive visualization/etc., every day.  The more people who join in, the better.  The problem with most statements like "you've been in our prayers" is that there aren't enough people actually praying on the same thing every day.

Rob Burbea<---->Perfect healing and wholeness!  ... thought experiment, day 1.... anyone else with me?
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 10/21/15 12:56 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/21/15 12:56 PM

I definitely am wishing a light source the size of sun to shine mudita to Rob and all the people taking care of him.
thumbnail
SeTyR ZeN, modified 8 Years ago at 10/21/15 6:32 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/21/15 6:32 PM

Metta to Rob and all sentient beings
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 10/30/15 3:02 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/30/15 3:02 AM

Bump for the thought experiment...

Whether it be simply 'good-will'/friendliness, or belief in physical healing, let us keep these thoughts going towards Rob.
Darrell, modified 8 Years ago at 11/19/15 4:24 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/19/15 4:24 PM

I'm coming to this late, but has there been an update? I've really taken to Rob's talks, thanks to your pointing him out to me, Richard.

Wish I'd seen this earlier, I'd have gladly particiapted in the experiement.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 11/19/15 4:34 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/19/15 4:34 PM

No time limit for good vibes, friend.  Start sending today!
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 11/19/15 6:40 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/19/15 6:40 PM

Darrell:
I'm coming to this late, but has there been an update? I've really taken to Rob's talks, thanks to your pointing him out to me, Richard.

Wish I'd seen this earlier, I'd have gladly particiapted in the experiement.

He says he has a small chance of survival but he's trying experimental treatments just to give it a shot. It's such a bummer!
Darrell, modified 8 Years ago at 11/20/15 6:52 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/20/15 6:49 PM

I'm truly sorry to hear this. I bought his book a year ago, and sat on it. Then I began listening to his talks, as a result of a link you posted. I hope he pulls through. I feel he's one of the few non-monastic teachers to have real substance in his talks.

That smile on his face in the photo would appear to tell us something about the depth and effectiveness of his practice. I've seen others in that situation, and their smiles have always seemed half hearted and somewhat defeated. His appears to have real energy behind it.
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 8 Years ago at 11/20/15 8:35 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/20/15 8:34 PM

Richard Zen:

He says he has a small chance of survival but he's trying experimental treatments just to give it a shot. It's such a bummer!

That's good -- another synonym for dukkha, i.e. "bummer".

And to remember, as someone once said:

I'm not beyond aging...

I'm not beyond illness...

I'm not beyond death...

Everything near and dear to me will dissolve away...

All I've got is what I do here and now, and how I do it, while it lasts...
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 11/21/15 2:26 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/21/15 2:26 AM

Chris J Macie:
Richard Zen:

That's good -- another synonym for dukkha, i.e. "bummer".

And to remember, as someone once said:

I'm not beyond aging...

I'm not beyond illness...

I'm not beyond death...

Everything near and dear to me will dissolve away...

All I've got is what I do here and now, and how I do it, while it lasts...
I, like many others, had their standard of living improved because of this person I haven't met, so the gratefulness is pretty strong. Dukkha yes, but it's okay. 
thumbnail
jhana sais quoi, modified 8 Years ago at 2/3/16 11:51 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 2/3/16 11:51 PM

Check out his update on January 25th at robburbea.com.  It's empowering, touching, and inspiring, certainly not like anthing you'd find in a mushroom factory.  Here are some out of context snippets:
And it makes me want somehow to persuade and encourage people out of and beyond their limited sense of what’s possible, wherever they have absorbed that sense of limitation from.
[ . . . ]
I truly believe that far more is possible, for everyone, than most people think.

[ . . . ]
To me it’s interesting to ponder why someone might cling to a limited sense of possibility, but the likely reasons are many and complex, and here is not the place to expand on this. Perhaps here we may just point out that the conditions which support a clinging to certain views of limitation are not only personal; without a doubt they are also, in many ways, culturally construed and absorbed. And to me it seems crucial to be aware of and interested in this. But I’ll leave all of that for another time and place…
Sending you some karuna, Rob.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 2/4/16 2:27 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 2/4/16 2:27 AM

Wow, truly amazing.  Thanks for sharing that!
: ladyfrog :, modified 8 Years ago at 2/4/16 9:10 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 2/4/16 9:10 PM

it is shocking to me how broad and deep his teachings are, the result no doubt of so much vigorous practice and fearless, creative examination.  i really hope he has more time to continue to unfold as a teacher and share more… it seems like he is blowing open.

I find a lot of teachers maybe have a variety of talks in that they cover different aspects of their traditions, with a personal twist, maybe have one or two areas of sort of specialization or creative contribution.  Rob’s talks of the last 5 years or so on dharmaseed, you see this as a starting point a bit, and then his teaching branches out into numerous deep, eclectically derived, and creative (i would even say hungrily radical) threads and directions, although always sort of tethered together in a way that I find cohesive.

i am most grateful, however, for the way he sort of lit fire to the actual energy of more intense questioning in me (pointed to in the quotes above)… that will have it’s own life, and has already proved very valuable. i can’t imagine it hasn’t been lit in many others similarly.  That has a sort of maybe potentially generically comforting quality (people living on in you etc.)… but i feel it so palpably, it’s obviously true for me in this case.  I will keep hoping for the best for him!
Caro, modified 8 Years ago at 2/5/16 11:31 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 2/5/16 11:31 AM

Thanks for sharing that. It has touched me deeply and is very inspiring.