Intensive practice

Tarken, modified 8 Years ago at 10/25/15 11:26 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/25/15 11:26 PM

Intensive practice

Hi

Having recently finished studying I find myself with a lot of time and some money.
I have therefore decided to undertake a period of intensive practice for a few years whilst I still have no wordly commitments and do not yet need to work.

I have practiced meditation for many years and have done many retreats. My practise has always been concentration orientated and have never 
undertaken much vipassana. The only vipassana I have done is some body scanning retreats.

Having read MCTB I have decided I would like to give the approach in the book a try 

I am looking for advice on how people think the best way to go about doing this would be

Thank you
thumbnail
bernd the broter, modified 8 Years ago at 10/26/15 4:10 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/26/15 4:10 AM

RE: Intensive practice

Great opportunity. Many people will be jealous.

1) Find some tradition with a retreat center and do a 10-20 day retreat.
2) If you are enthusiastic that this is the right approach for you, go to step (4). Otherwise go to step (3)
3) Go to step (1), but choose another center this time.
4) Find out how to do longer retreats in that tradition/center and go for it.
5) Come back and tell us what you've learned.

If you are looking for noting retreats:
Go looking for retreat centers in the Mahasi tradition. Or Ajahn Tong's tradition, which is a bit different. Probably there are other derivations, too.

Actually, I have no idea what exactly you are asking for. Since you have done a ton of retreats already, this procedure should be self-evident, right?
Tarken, modified 8 Years ago at 10/26/15 4:18 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/26/15 4:18 AM

I have practised concentration meditation for many years and never really strayed from it so wheras I have experience in sitting meditation, I do not feel that I have much experience in the technical aspects of vipassana. This is the main area I would like advice. Books I should read, teachers, recommended retreat centres, any help at all is much welcome

My attitude is one of.. "Ok.. Many people on this discussion forum have made claims of certain attainments through reading and following MTCB... I want to use the opportunity I have to see for myself by practising in a similar way" 
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 10/26/15 5:44 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/26/15 5:44 AM

i'm jealous...

well you have already done some vipassana using the body scanning method n'est pas? if so do you have any interest in continuing that or are you particularly interested in pursuing a noting practice?

i personally had great success and progress using the scanning technique in goenka retreats.   nevertheless, i found the technique too burdensome as a daily practice.  i moved to noting (after many other searches for the right fit) and did several self-retreats based on this. 

the goenka method and retreats got me to A&P on the first shot at about day 6.  subsequent retreats using that method got me to, but not through re-observation / low equanimity.  there are some very good posts by Nikolai re: goenka retreat methodologies as he spent many years doing that practice and cracked the nut in that tradition.

you have the opportunity to try before you buy with noting.  try it and compare it to your scanning experience.  do a self-retreat if possible and see if you think it might be for you on a longer retreat. 

lastly, check out the discussion section for retreat centers or go to one of the ones mentioned in MCTB.

good luck, have fun and tell us about it.

peace
Derek, modified 8 Years ago at 10/26/15 7:30 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/26/15 7:30 AM

Tarken:
Hi

I am looking for advice on how people think the best way to go about doing this would be

You'll make a lot more progress, a lot more quickly, if you have a real teacher, even by Skype. A couple of names that come to mind are Kenneth Folk and Ron Crouch (sp?).