Is Goenka vipassana?

Jack Hatfield, modified 8 Years ago at 10/27/15 1:12 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/27/15 1:12 PM

Is Goenka vipassana?

I have a lot of respect for the Goenka technique as well as the other body orientated teachings such as those by Reggie Ray and MBSR. But, how do they deal with emotions, thoughts and feeling tone? Dealing with these is part of my definition of vipassana.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 10/28/15 7:02 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 10/28/15 7:02 AM

RE: Is Goenka vipassana?

howdy jack,
yes, the goenka tradition is most definitely a vipassana technique.  the body scanning causes one to notice the actual sensations as they arise in awareness and then to move on.  it develops continuous, moment-to-moment concentration. the active aspect of it assures that one doesn't dwell on particular sensations and cuts off the proliferation of thoughts etc.  during that process it is reccomended to remain equanimous about anything which arises.

i have only done the ten day courses and so can't shed any light on the deeper (more subtle) levels of insight practice.  they have longer courses in which other themes (such as sattipathana) which by definition would cover the topics you mention.  perhaps someone with that specific experience could chime in.

tom

Breadcrumb