Leigh Brasington's book on the Jhanas

Leigh Brasington, modified 8 Years ago at 11/15/15 9:16 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/15/15 9:14 AM

Leigh Brasington's book on the Jhanas

I've written a book on the jhanas called Right Concentration: A Practical Guide to the Jhanas.  It's now available from the publisher, Shambhala Publications as well as the usual on-line sources.  It is available as a paperback and as an eBook.  More info at http://rc.leighb.com
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 11/15/15 10:02 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/15/15 10:02 AM

RE: Leigh Brasington's book on the Jhanas

Got the book. Like with the Rob Burbea book, this is years of homework we are given. Thanks for your efforts!
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 8 Years ago at 11/15/15 11:53 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/15/15 11:46 AM

I haven't gotten the book (which I assume is fantastic in the insights it brings out), but I did follow Leigh's instruction on the Internet when I was first learning about absorption meditation and which helped not only to speed up my progress in meditation, but to assure my confidence that I was understanding things correctly. I've always recommend to others to view his material on this most slippery subject on the development of dhyana meditation.

We finally have credible Western authors/practitioners writing for a Western audience rather than having to figure out what the Easterners mean when they use certain terms. Years ago (and I'm speaking forty and more), the only information we had of this method were descriptions coming from Eastern practitioners who were writing and speaking without an adequate enough understanding of the nuances of the English language, using whatever translated word came to mind without considering the distinctions of how that word might be received and interpreted by the Western mind. Context and the intent of the communication is all important when attempting to pass on this information, especially to a society foreign to those intending to pass it on.

I'm sure Leigh's book will be another among others which help bridge a gap in Westerners understanding of the tools necessary to practice and correctly understand the Dhamma.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 11/15/15 3:32 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/15/15 3:32 PM

Hello Leigh,
what a aurprise seeing you here.  You and your methods have been quoted and suggested and contraindicated on this site.  I don't know if you are a regular visitor but it would be a very great thing to have your take on specific questions that come up from time to time.

Do you plan to frequent the site and contribute to the forums?

I for one have profited from your approach and look forward to reading your book.  Thanks very much in advance.
Oochdd, modified 8 Years ago at 11/23/15 8:05 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/23/15 8:05 AM

Just got the book in the mail a couple of days ago, and have only finished the first couple of chapters upto and including the fourth jhana, but already very impressed!

Very practical and hands on. Very clear on what to expect and what the pitfalls are. And more importantly, it has inspired me to pick up jhana practice again, of which I'm already feeling the positive impacts. The annoying inisight edginess that has been with me for the last couple of months or so seems to wane quite a bit. (might be stuck at some insight stage, feel like I'm spinning my wheels but that's probably the topic for another post)

Anyway, just thought I'd bump this post with some positive feedback emoticon
George S Lteif, modified 8 Years ago at 11/23/15 5:57 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/23/15 5:57 PM

Great book!! Truly inspired me to work those Jhanas. Dry insight practice has been very hard lately..

It is also a relief to know that there is even disagreement regarding definitions of Jhanas. Basically different view points regarding everything in the teaching. Feels good not to search for the best teaching anymore emoticon Just pick one and practice.  
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 11/24/15 4:33 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/24/15 4:33 AM

howdy guys,
one thing i was hoping to ask Leigh here was:  Does his book draw any distinctions between Shamata practice and Jhana practice?  I ask because, lately, i have been focusing on shamata but giving no direct energy into discerning the jhanic stages.  I definitely am moving through them and do subtle investigation but the emphasis is not directed to solidifying jhanas but rather simply to use the pleasant calm perspective of shamata to do investigation.  its simply a more pleasant and less disruptive way for me than dry insight and i'm likin it.

anything like this in there?
thumbnail
Lewis James, modified 8 Years ago at 11/24/15 5:01 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/24/15 5:01 AM

I haven't read the whole book yet, but it does emphasise that actively trying to get to the jhanas doesn't work at all, and you have to allow them to come to you.
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 8 Years ago at 11/26/15 10:14 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/26/15 10:08 AM

tom moylan:
howdy guys,
one thing i was hoping to ask Leigh here was:  Does his book draw any distinctions between Shamata practice and Jhana practice?  I ask because, lately, i have been focusing on shamata but giving no direct energy into discerning the jhanic stages.  I definitely am moving through them and do subtle investigation but the emphasis is not directed to solidifying jhanas but rather simply to use the pleasant calm perspective of shamata to do investigation.  its simply a more pleasant and less disruptive way for me than dry insight and i'm likin it.

anything like this in there?
Hi Tom,

Leigh's book does make the distinction, but it really is all about getting into the jhanas that he teaches.  I think Culadasa's excellent "The Mind Illuminated" is more along the lines of what you're looking for.  The system he outline there is adapted from Asanga's nine stages of meditation (of elephant taming pictures fame) which is calm-abiding, i.e. samatha.  Culadasa advocates entering jhana from the higher stages of this.  The whole book is about doing the samatha path (as well as yoked to vipassana), with jhanas being dealt with only at the end in appendix.  He breaks the jhanas into 3 degrees of what we would term soft to hard as very lite, lite and deep which can be entered from stages 6,7 & 8 of his system.

A brief (compared to the book) version in PDF of Culadasa's system can be found here.  He's also got some great audio on all of this over at his website dharmatreasure.org (I don't remember specifically which ones).

I hope this is useful.

Eric
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 11/26/15 11:17 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/26/15 11:17 AM

Hey Eric,
thanks very much for taking the time to point me to those teachings.  i look forward to reading (and listening) to them.

cheers

tom
Connie Dobbs, modified 8 Years ago at 12/17/15 1:05 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/17/15 1:05 PM

Finally someone with balls, knowledge and experience that had time to write a book on Jhanas.
Everything just fell into place after reading this book. I bought an electronic version.
Easy to read in one afternoon. Precise, clear, to the point. References to suttas.
I'm reading it all over just because I like it so much. I've read many Jhana books
(Shankman, Bhante G., Snyder/Rasmussen, P.A. Sayadaw, Shaila C., Ajahn Brahm...)
and none of them explained things with such surgical precision. A must read for everyone!
I was confused with all the Jhana controversy. Not anymore. Intuition tells me this is it!
I hope I can someday master Jhanas. I hope I meet L.B. in person on one of his retreats
if he comes to Europe again. emoticon

Respect Leigh! I suspect not everybody will be happy with some of the conclusions on 
hard core - absorbtion jhanas. Nobody will care.

Thanks!

Now, don't stop here. Please write another book on practicing wisdom.

Breadcrumb