4 stages of enlightenment vs one big event

Michał G, modified 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 3:49 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 3:49 AM

4 stages of enlightenment vs one big event

How come that in buddhism enlightenment is experienced in this 4 path model, but all other teachers and reports of enlightenment mention only one big event? Like Ramana Maharishi, Nisargadatta Maharaj just to name a few. Did these people experience somehow 4th path without going through earlier paths or are they just after stream entry? Because no other teachers mention these stages.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 5:17 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 5:17 AM

RE: 4 stages of enlightenment vs one big event

hi michal,
states and stages are mentioned in almost every tradition.  i'm no expert on maharsi or on advaita generally but while they may not mention "stages" as discreet milestones they do encourage development via meditation don't they?  if this is the case then the fact that the experiences are not labeled or given specific gravities does not mean that they are not part of the "way". 

in christianity the steps of their contemplative path is not widely distributed.  in zen, it is recognized that one will have certain milestone experiences or awakenings but they are intentionally avoided as subjects of teaching method.

my point is that, just because there is no explicit mention of stages it does not mean that they are not experienced in a particular tradition.  additionally, there are many who are very well enlightened in the various buddhist flavored traditions who cannot point to the specific path experiences but nevertheless consider their attainments to parallel those who have recollection of such discreet events.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 1:29 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 1:29 PM

Other traditions do talk about stages.  Read "Chasm of Fire" to get a sense of how the paths are experienced in Sufism.  In Kundalini yoga, folks like Swami Rudrananda and Swami Muktananda have written memoirs that describe tons of mini-openings and gradual things.  In Kriya yoga, we have "Autobiography of a Yogi" which has the same, as well as memoirs from some of Yogananda's top students, such as Roy Eugene Davis, ad Kriyananda, once again emphasizing stage-like progress.  

Lots of people have probably gotten stream entry without knowing it, so that could help to explain why some of the nondual teachers do not talk about any shifts until 'the major one.'  Its a big theme in the Soto Zen tradition that one can complete a path without being aware that it happened.  
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 1:33 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 1:33 PM

http://www.mountainrunnerdoc.com/page/page/5213285.htm

That page talks about a 'lesser known second death experience' that Ramana had at age 32, with his first one being at 16.  
Michał G, modified 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 2:27 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 2:27 PM

Noah:
http://www.mountainrunnerdoc.com/page/page/5213285.htm

That page talks about a 'lesser known second death experience' that Ramana had at age 32, with his first one being at 16.  

The site doesn't work for me at this moment (even with *.html) but I'd love to read about it since Ramana was one of the (many, though) people I had in mind
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 2:38 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/1/15 2:38 PM

...works for me....AWESOME link.

check this out: "

Paul Brunton often concurred that preparation was required for the end stages of the path:

"To
attain knowledge of Brahman, the mind must be held in the prerequisite
state of being calm, tranquil, and in equilibrium - not carried away by
attachment to anything. After this is established, and only then, can you begin enquiry with any hope of success.""

who does this sound like?

Breadcrumb