Purple visual field

Ozzy, modified 8 Years ago at 12/18/15 7:16 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/18/15 7:15 AM

Purple visual field

It's my first post here, welcome everybody.

Little background, I've been doing vipassana for few months on and off, max 20 minutes a day. A month ago I discovered concentration meditation and have commited to become good at it. I started doing 30 min. sessions daily, now I'm up to 60 minutes per average.

My concentration is very good and I just don't get distracted, if a thought happens I simply notice it and continue watching my breath.

Few questions: 
1) Every time I meditate now, after few minutes my visual field slowly turns purple. First it's like a little purple disk, but when I focus on it it tends to get bigger, eventually my whole visual field turns purple. Any thought on what that is and what that means? When I first got it (like 3 weeks ago) I though that I'm entering 1st Jhana and felt amazing, but as time passes I feel that this euphoria was self generated, not something linked directly to this experience. Just an idea of getting better that made me feel good.
I don't think that it's mind-generated state, because I don't cling to it anymore and it still happens every time. Then throughout my session this effect goes away and then comes back again.

2) Last 2 days I decided to meditate for 2 hours to see what happens, I was able to access pretty remarkable state but I'm not sure what it was in terms of Jhanas. After about an hour my concentration was extremely strong and one-pointed so I decided to expand my focus from breath to breath + visual + sounds + my whole body awareness. I was able to do this with no problem. I felt good, content, not really euphoric. No thoughts. My breaths were basically: in breath, slowly out, about 5 seconds break, then repeat. I felt like I could meditate forever.

From what I've read this description looks a lot like 3-4 Jhana (correct me if I'm wrong) but if that is to be the case then at some point there should be the second Jhana along the way, characterized by intense joy. The problem is that no such thing happened. So it makes me wonder what it was and I would like to get some ideas from you, more experienced meditators.
Ozzy, modified 8 Years ago at 12/18/15 11:28 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/18/15 11:28 AM

RE: Purple visual field

It's all purple, what tends to differ is the intensity and brightness of the color, but it was always purple.
Darin, modified 8 Years ago at 12/19/15 3:28 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/19/15 3:28 AM

I listened to a talk by Leigh Brasington today. The topic was Jhanas 1 to 4. At one point in the talk he says that he never experienced the white disk (nimitta) but rather a purple one which at best he held for 20 minutes.
Ozzy, modified 8 Years ago at 12/19/15 5:47 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/19/15 5:47 AM

Can you share a link?
Eva Nie, modified 8 Years ago at 12/19/15 11:43 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/19/15 11:43 AM

Visual processing is an interesting subject, I've heard of people seeing purplish color tones when light levels are low and I get this too sometimes but it doesn't sound like what you have exactly.  However these people seem to be experiencing something similar: http://www.ourhealth.com/conditions/eye-conditions/seeing-in-purple .  Also there is some slightly scientific info for when it happens in blue which is recognized by science: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanopsia  And apparently cannabis can alter color perception in similar ways: http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/526965-when-im-high-i-see-purple-shade-everything.html

Breadcrumb