Stream Entry and Morality

ANNA AIYAR, modified 8 Years ago at 1/17/16 3:56 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/17/16 3:53 AM

Stream Entry and Morality

Hi 

The Theravada Texts talks about a Stream Winner never breaking a precept... 

I am not quite so sure about the above though... 

My take on that is, since the awareness is sharp in a Stream Winner, every thought, every action is noted thus knows he or she has broken a precept and immediately will make a vow not to do it again sort of a thing... a deep wanting to change some habitual patterns will be strong in a Stream Winner.. 

But never breaking a precept? any thoughts..
neko, modified 8 Years ago at 1/17/16 2:29 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/17/16 4:07 AM

RE: Stream Entry and Morality

ANNA AIYAR:
Hi 

The Theravada Texts talks about a Stream Winner never breaking a precept... 

I am not quite so sure about the above though... 

My take on that is, since the awareness is sharp in a Stream Winner, every thought, every action is noted thus knows he or she has broken a precept and immediately will make a vow not to do it again sort of a thing... a deep wanting to change some habitual patterns will be strong in a Stream Winner.. 

Emotional / moral perfection models of enlightenment are dealt with in detail in Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha.
thumbnail
Nicky, modified 8 Years ago at 1/18/16 1:52 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/18/16 1:50 AM

ANNA AIYAR:

My thought is a stream-winner (who has come to know with insight the noble truths and therefore the sufferring connected with craving, attachment & egoism) would easily maintain the precepts, except possibly the 1st. They may occassionally kill an insect or similar (since the result of such an action is not felt to be significant). 

emoticon
ANNA AIYAR, modified 8 Years ago at 1/18/16 2:24 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/18/16 2:03 AM

Nicky:
My thought is a stream-winner (who has come to know with insight the noble truths and therefore the sufferring connected with craving, attachment & egoism) would easily maintain the precepts, except possibly the 1st. They may occassionally kill an insect or similar (since the result of such an action is not felt to be significant). 

emoticon
My thought is a stream-winner (who has come to know with insight the noble truths and therefore the sufferring connected with craving, attachment & egoism) 
But has the Stream Winner completely eradicated the Raaga & Dwesha & Moha... ?
Yes a Stream Winner will "KNOW" the consequences and Dukkha  on attachement and aversion... but at times since the mula seeds of asava's are not yet completely eradicated... don't you think he/she is not completely FREE from greed/illwill/ignorance
(Raaga/Dwesha/Moha) ?

would easily maintain the precepts, except possibly the 1st. They may occassionally kill an insect or similar (since the result of such an action is not felt to be significant). 
Yes last precept or first precept... - my question was "never breaking a precept" - emoticon, so I see that you agree.. a Stream Winner can break a precept from time to time.. but yes overall they will have a Ariya Sila which means after the paradigm shift... things are much clearer to them.. hence he/she will be a changed person... not like going on daily basis breaking precepts etc. emoticon

Somewhere I read that a Stream Winner will NEVER break a precept.. 

With Metta
josh, modified 8 Years ago at 1/30/16 8:41 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/30/16 8:41 AM

I lot of it is monastic propaganda.The 'ill will' fetter is true, as I really cannot think of anybody in my mind which would bring up feelings of anger or malice, but things like always being good to the sangha and dying if you are an arahant who doesn't join a monastery is nonsense.

Breadcrumb