The six yogas of Naropa

Stuie Law, modified 8 Years ago at 1/17/16 8:17 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/17/16 8:17 PM

The six yogas of Naropa

Is there anyone out there with a working knowledge of the The Six Yogas of Naropa????

Failing that, any other method of opening up the back meditarion channel or meridium????
thumbnail
Shamadhi Sam, modified 8 Years ago at 1/17/16 11:43 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/17/16 11:43 PM

RE: The six yogas of Naropa

I have no experience with the Six Yogas, but would also definitely be interested in finding out more.
Stuie Law, modified 8 Years ago at 1/19/16 7:38 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/19/16 7:38 PM

It has been shared with me on another forum that the "Six Yogas of Noropa" are a lineage transmission and as such unavailable to those not schooled in the subject.

My fall back position is that i heard Reggie Ray mention it on a Buddhist Geeks podcast (damn! but i do like those interveiws of theirs) so i'll see what i can drag up from that resource.  With thanks
neko, modified 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 2:39 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 2:39 AM

Stuie Law:
It has been shared with me on another forum that the "Six Yogas of Noropa" are a lineage transmission and as such unavailable to those not schooled in the subject.

My fall back position is that i heard Reggie Ray mention it on a Buddhist Geeks podcast (damn! but i do like those interveiws of theirs) so i'll see what i can drag up from that resource.  With thanks

You could say the same of lots of Tibetan teachings, yet so much info is out there, that there are lots of people who practice e.g. Mahamudra without having obtained formal transmission, and obtain results they are quite happy with. Unless you have religious reasons to believe that the transmission is anything more than a ritual (possibly with useful placebo consequences), I would advise you to keep looking and not let the comments on that forum set you back! emoticon
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 4:13 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 4:13 AM

howdy,
i was introduced to the teaching via the kagyu lineage several years back.  as you probably know, and as is mentioned above, the teachings are only for initiates.  the reasons given are that practicing them without the correct guidance can throw you into the hell realms and so they (and all other tantric teachings) can only be taught after the student has received the blessings and protection of one authorized to present the teachings.  of course, that's the party line and has as much to do with power politics than with the hell realms after bodily death IMO.

in this forum much is made of the dark night phase.  this would be considered a hell realm and one of the possible dangers of practicing tantra without proper guidance.  in fact all states of anger, hate, greed etc. are considered hell realms and the distinctions that the average person makes between these emotional states and those post life realms is considered arbitrary.

one thing to remember about ALL tibetan schools of buddhism is that they require preliminary practices before one can receive ANY teachings at all.  these include, amoung other things 111,111 mantra recitations 111,111 prostrations and other time consuming preparations designed to reduce pride, develop faith in the guru, which is essential in their view.  another thing not often know about the vajrayana / mantrayana schools is that they practice shamatha and vipassana meditation for a long time before they begin the tantric bits.

the six yogas are a conglomerate system taken from several indian adepts by tilopa, the teacher of naropa and passed on to marpa the translator, milarepa and gampopa and other figures who make up the lineage of the kagyu.

Here is a link to a PDF which has a good description of the practices:
http://selfdefinition.org/tibetan/Garma%20C.%20C.%20Chang%20-%20The%20Six%20Yogas%20of%20Naropa%20and%20Teachings%20on%20Mahamudra.pdf

The six yoga description starts around page 53 but i recommend reading the mahamudra verses beforehand just cuz they're beautiful.

oh yeah..don't forget to recite the 100 syllable mantra of Vajrasaatva 100000 times before you begin.  its also beautiful.
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Hundred_syllable_mantra
thumbnail
Shamadhi Sam, modified 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 9:52 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 9:52 AM

Tom, great post! Thanks for the info and the links. I'm curious, could you elaborate a little more on the connection between the 100 syllable mantra and the six yogas? Thanks.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 11:13 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 11:13 AM

howdy SS,
Ha! thanks.  in the tibetan practices there are always LOTS of prerequisites and the 100 syllable mantra of vajrasaatva is one of em.  as in most vajrayana practices the mind is engaged on several levels at once.  there are visualizations, there are mantras which one should comprehend as simple sound as well as meaning at differing depths, there are mudras (physical gestures) and such things.

there are lots of good descriptions of the vajrasaatva meditation my favorite being that of dilgo khyente rinpoche.  the purpose of the meditation is purification of karma and intention.  the basic excercise is to visualize vajrasaatva while repeating the 100 syllable mantra.  the visualization takes one through several phases as do most vajrayana practices.

some of the visualization points are the form of vajrasaatva (young athletic powerful all-white luminous figure). one also visualizes certain symbolic objects like moon disks and sacred substances doing their magic things.

this being is seated above the meditator (for the beginning meditator without consort, for the more advanced with) at a certain point a sacred substance (amrita) begins flowing down into the meditator's crown  anf flows through all parts of the bod , subtle and gross, cleaning away the bad jooo joo etc.

in the end phase the being collapses on itself and flows down into ones central channel and you become one with him all the while doing your mantra thing.

the meditation can blow one away and fill one with bliss and is very powerful and almost always fun.  the general rule of thumb is to recite the mantra 108 times whereby the mantra is simplified at the end of the meditation during that last phase.

i suggested it as a little bit of a joke but it is a great meditation especially when one is a little out of sorts or has done something unskillfull.  it can act like a catholic confession should in its best sense.

have fun
thumbnail
Shamadhi Sam, modified 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 11:30 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 11:30 AM

Tom, once again, great information. I appreciate it! I'm wondering, do you think it's safe to practice just based on that description, or would it make sense to do some more background research before trying out the process?
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 11:49 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 11:46 AM

hey,
that description is from my worse than faulty memory so definitely do not use that.  as i mentioned, there are many variations of the meidtation depending upon the school and tradition and emphasis of the teacher.  look around on the net.  here is a link i just found an have not looked at it thoroughly.  better yet, look around for a vajrayana group and talk to them.  prepare to be overwhelmed with a cultish misama though.

there is generally lots of symbology involved so some disciphering may be required.

as i mentioned before generally vajrayana practices are not encouraged without the proper teachings and blessings.  this is one of the basic ones though and given to anyone who asks as i recall.

here is a better one.
thumbnail
Shamadhi Sam, modified 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 4:01 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/20/16 4:01 PM

Good to know!

Breadcrumb