A whole day home retreat every week?

Michał G, modified 8 Years ago at 1/21/16 9:09 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/21/16 9:08 AM

A whole day home retreat every week?

On one hand, I would love to become a monk just to have more time to practice meditation and have long sessions. On the other, I wouldn't; I have responsibilities and I don't want to runaway from them. I strive for "being in the world but not of it". What would be the value of enlightenment anyway, if you couldn't do that? That would make it conditional state and therefore worthless.

I spend 60-90 minutes a day meditating, but the rest of the day is very wordly, taking care of my business, working out, etc. Today a thought occured, what if I spend every whole sunday for home retreat? I know that it would satisfity my desire for a renunciate-kind of lifestyle, but what do you think about the benefits of it? Is it a good idea?
thumbnail
Laurel Carrington, modified 8 Years ago at 1/21/16 10:06 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/21/16 10:06 AM

RE: A whole day home retreat every week?

It sounds valuable, although you may also want to look around for daylong opportunities in sanghas in your area (if there are any). If there aren't, a group like Buddhist Geeks Dojo would be helpful for discussing issues in real time. I also would recommend some smaller sits during the weekdays to help you keep continuity of mindfulness throughout the day. At certain stages of your practice, that kind of immersion is indeed a great help. You could work with a timer app to prod you to be mindful at various points all day. Good luck in your practice. 
Small Steps, modified 8 Years ago at 1/21/16 2:19 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/21/16 2:17 PM

It's a great idea! I do this pretty regularly on Sundays. My schedule's a bit up in the air at the moment, so sometimes I miss some of these full days of practice, but it matters less to me nowadays.

When I am determined to do one of these practice days, I put my phone in airplane mode and don't look at the computer till the designated end time, usually around 4 or 5pm. I typically start around 9:30 or 10:00am, alternate sitting and walking in 45min sessions. I also take breaks for food, water, reading or listening to some dharma. Since I started doing more yoga and qi gong about six months ago, I incorporate mindful movement in the mix too.

It is a good use of time and can help you deepen in a lot of ways. If you are already familiar with seclusion via residential retreats, you can bring some of the momentum home with day long practice. Or, use the day long practice to prep you for going into a retreat.

Go for it, and let us know how it progresses!
Mark, modified 8 Years ago at 1/21/16 4:00 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/21/16 4:00 PM

Michał G.:
On one hand, I would love to become a monk just to have more time to practice meditation and have long sessions. On the other, I wouldn't; I have responsibilities and I don't want to runaway from them. I strive for "being in the world but not of it". What would be the value of enlightenment anyway, if you couldn't do that? That would make it conditional state and therefore worthless.

I spend 60-90 minutes a day meditating, but the rest of the day is very wordly, taking care of my business, working out, etc. Today a thought occured, what if I spend every whole sunday for home retreat? I know that it would satisfity my desire for a renunciate-kind of lifestyle, but what do you think about the benefits of it? Is it a good idea?
I noted your interest in Shinzen Young in anoher thread - are you aware of his home practise program ? It is 18hours spread over one weekend each month. Joining that might make it easier to keep a habit. I started with one of the 4 hours sessions and then later two in the same day. 
Michał G, modified 8 Years ago at 1/22/16 4:06 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/22/16 4:06 AM

Thanks for the hints. I started looking for sanghas too, that would be more refreshing than meditating at home, especially that I don't live alone. I like this idea, thanks

Breadcrumb